Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Test

Options
  • 20-08-2004 3:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Other thread reminded me: What's the easiest way to get a full bike licence? I'm in no rush to buy a bike again but I reckon I'll go for a Duke 996 or similar before I hit 35 for a year or so, and the idea of driving one around restricted is... disgusting. (Yes, yes, everyone takes the restrictors out, but I ain't everyone. It would be just my luck that I'd crash it and get a Nazi assessor.) I'm pretty sure I still have my old provo 125 licence, but let's assume I'm starting from scratch again to be on the safe side.

Do I still have to have a provo licence for a particular amount of time? If so, will "buying" an 80/125cc clunker work for that or will they check to see that I've insured it (unlikely I assume). And what's the easiest way to go about getting the full licence? If I pass the test am I on a full licence immediately or am I on a provisional for another amount of time? Will the clunker ploy work here too? Is Norn Iron still an option?

There's a few questions to kick things off anyway. :)

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

As long as you are 25+ (i think!) the you can drive anything that is both <= 25kW & 0.16kW/kg. That means anything up to a Honda Bros 400cc is unrestricted. Some of the 500cc are have fully integrated restrictors, which means you push the limits of <= 25kW & 0.16kW/kg but are still suck with it when you try and sell it on.

BTW once you pass your test you still have to wait two years before upgrading - there is a date on the full licence for the lower A and a 2 year later dated by the the unrestricted A section. However if you are under 25 then once you pass your A1 (125cc - max allowance for >25) test then you can apply for an A test and upgrade to the 400cc.

Insurers will try anything to not pay out, and if the insurer finds out that you did your test uninsured, then they will never pay out even if you are insured at the time of an accident as you gained the licence under false pretenses. And the insurance guys hunt this s**t out. Dpt. Transport will assume you are telling the truth, but if the insurance guy show them that you were uninsured at the time of testing, then you loose your licence and will have further licence restrictions later - this info is then used to avoid paying out on any claim.

www.bikerbazzar.com for the classifieds and the gear. http://www.bikeworld.ie/ to peek'n'see the gear before you buy it on bikerbazzar and check out it's old but informative 'getting started section'. Finally http://www.magireland.org/ for the indepth knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You need to take the test on a 150cc + motorcycle ( but also less than 33 bhp).

As Treora says you are still restricted to 33 bhp for 2 years after completing the test.

As for the 2 year restriction - it's widely abused (about as much as L drivers on mororways), but having an outrageous bike unresticted (996!/Blade/R1) would probably cause a problem if you're every pulled over or involved in an accident.

pH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Just to be specific, the restriction period lasts 2 years after you get your licence NOT for 2 years after you pass your test. You send back your certificate of competency and your provisional licence and the countdown starts from when the full licence is issued. There have been a few people caught out on this. The cert of competency is valid for one year IIRC.

The age quoted for an A licence is also wrong. Anyone over the age of 18 can apply for a provisional A licence. I think people are mixing the age up with the minimum age Carole Nash use in general. But if you have 2 year's NCB they will insure. The MAG site has a list of bikes that meet the power requirements of the licence.

One of the cheapest routes over 2-3 years to a full unrestricted licence is to buy a 125cc, apply for A licence, hire a bigger bike for the test. Continue to ride your 125 until restriction period is over. This way you minimise the insurance costs over those 2-3 years which for most younger (<30 yo) people could cost about 4-5 G.

Take a look at the FAQ too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

See what I mean lads? You know what you're talking about, but to anyone else it just comes across as gibberish. :)

adam

• Advertisement

Ok, I have a bit more time to reply in detail now. Seriously though, this is why I've never been able to figure this out: There's so many factors involved it seems it can't be explained in a clear, concise manner...
    Treora wrote:
    As long as you are 25+ (i think!) the you can drive anything that is both <= 25kW & 0.16kW/kg.
    That's now what I'm looking for anyway. I have no interest in driving a restricted bike or driving an unrestriced bike illegally, I'm simply looking for the simplest path to a full licence while avoiding everything in the middle. If I have to buy a heap and park it up for a couple of years to do that, so be it.
    Insurers will try anything to not pay out, and if the insurer finds out that you did your test uninsured...
    And I have no intention of driving uninsured either, I want to do this completely within the limits of the law. When I was talking about insurance I was asking if it was possible to buy the bike and park it up for a couple of years without insurance just to get to the next step -- obviously I would insure the bike before I went for the test though. I'd need to to take lessons anyway.

Thanks,
    adam

pH wrote:
    You need to take the test on a 150cc + motorcycle ( but also less than 33 bhp).

As Treora says you are still restricted to 33 bhp for 2 years after completing the test.
    But can I take the test any time, or do I need to be on a provisional for a certain amount of time? Assuming the former, will this scenario work:

I buy a cheap bike and drive around for a couple of months, doing a few lessons while I'm at it. I take the test and let's say I pass. Now, can I park the bike up for two years until the restriction expires, and then go buy my Duke? Do I even need the bike in the intervening years, could I sell it again?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I dont think you need the bike/insurance yet..You could hire out an ISM bike for lessons/test and AFAIK if you are hiring their bike you are insured on it(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dahamsta wrote:
    I buy a cheap bike and drive around for a couple of months, doing a few lessons while I'm at it. I take the test and let's say I pass. Now, can I park the bike up for two years until the restriction expires, and then go buy my Duke? Do I even need the bike in the intervening years, could I sell it again?

adam
    That'll work.
    It's exactly the same as the car system. You could apply for a test, get your licence the day before you do your test, pass, apply for your full licence, sit on it for two years, then go buy a big unrestricted bike.

The insurance company mightn't like you though, with zero NCB....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The day you get your provisonal is the day you can apply for the test.
    However last year I waited 14 months for a test in Tallaght, though I believe the queues are getting shorter.

If you're not interested in doing anything in the interim :

Get Provisional
    Apply for test
    Wait until a few weeks before test - book some lessons with ISM. If you've booked a minumum number of lessons they will also lend you a CB250 for the test.
    Take test (make sure you pass - this is important!)
    Apply for full license and wait for 2 years.

To get a Bike Provisional you will need to take the theory test first (even if you have a carlicense) You may or may not need a new eyesite test for the provisional.

I just checked my Bike License and the restrcition period started from test date, not the date I got the license.

pH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'm on my first bike provisional, A category, driving a 250cc suzuki Bandit.
    Once i do my test on this bike and get my full license, i have to wait 2 years before i can get a bike with >33bhp .

However, the only time this restriction will be a factor is if i have an accident, my policy will be void, the police have no way short of dynoing the bike to see if its producing more than 33bhp, in the event of a crash, this could prove difficult.
    That said, the 250 is nippy enough for the moment...

echomadman wrote:
    However, the only time this restriction will be a factor is if i have an accident, my policy will be void, the police have no way short of dynoing the bike to see if its producing more than 33bhp, in the event of a crash, this could prove difficult.
    The Gardaí aren't the issue initially, it's the insurance company that may or may not dyno the bike, and you can be sure that if the payout is big enough, they'll do it. When they say you're not insured, then you run the risk of criminal charges. It could all get very nasty, which is why I wouldn't unrestrict a bike. Civil disobedience is all well and good, but it just ain't worth the risk.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated, and I think I get it now. Must see if I can find my old 125 licence to take with me to the Tax Office, just in case it's any help. Ah, I miss my Cagiva Mito...

adam

Advertisement