Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What am I doing wrong?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I got it in writing from my insurance company when i was on a provisional that my insurance was valid when i travelled unaccompanied and when i travelled on a motorway.

Unless it states it in the policy specifically I would take it that you are covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Chief--- wrote:
    I got it in writing from my insurance company when i was on a provisional that my insurance was valid when i travelled unaccompanied and when i travelled on a motorway.

Unless it states it in the policy specifically I would take it that you are covered.

Funny, I would assume that any illegal activity is not covered unless I got written confirmation stating otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Stopping in the middle of the road in rush hour traffic where everyone is impatient and irritable is really stupid. Use some common sense FFS. You *will* end up causing (or at least contributing to) an accident sooner or later. It may be you who gets rear ended or it may be someone else. There's also a good chance that somone will get out of their car at you in a fit of road rage.

If everyone decided to do what you're doing, the traffic would be at a standstill - even more than it is at present. Tell your mate to get his lazy arse out of bed a few minutes earlier and go out of his way to meet you at a spot where you can pull in safely.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

John R wrote:
    Funny, I would assume that any illegal activity is not covered unless I got written confirmation stating otherwise.
    Nope. The law is on your side. Once an insurance company undertakes to insure you and your particulars are correct, then they are liable for all claims howsoever arising against you.

Unless your insurance cert says something is specifically not covered, then that means you are covered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

About the L plates:

I'm not going to go all the way through Dublin to get to Finglas for 8.30am when I can take the risk of going on the M50 as an L driver. I'm confident on the road and although I have only been driving since March, I have driven quite allot. I'm not one of these arses that has their windows tinted and revs the engine of my lil nissan micra. I drive because I need to, not to look good.

I was simply unsure wether it was illegal to stop the way I have been stopping or was it legal and the drivers behind me were just impatient.

It's not exactly rush hour traffic either.

I will keep an eye out for a safer pick up spot the next day. If the person who suggested the building site could elaborate, please do.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    I will keep an eye out for a safer pick up spot the next day. If the person who suggested the building site could elaborate, please do.
    Try to always be 5 miles ahead. When I first started driving a car, herself was always looking to be picked up from wherever she was to wherever we were going. Quite often this would be in town, and I'd get silly requests like "I'll be waiting for you at the front gates of trinity" or "I'll be sitting in McDonalds in the Ilac, just beep when you're outside". Obviously these would be met with "Eh, no how about I wait on Stephen's Green/parked on Nassau St for you to come to me.

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Big roundabout before you drive up that hill right at the start of the motorway. There is an entrance to construction site 1st exit off roundabout.

Thanks Chief! I'll have a gawk on Monday and tell him to wait in there if it looks ok. He could get mangled trying to make his way there every morning though.

One more thing

Above "illegal parking" is mentioned, it's not technically illegal parking if I don't stop. So if I drive like .1 mph is it still illegal?

cormie wrote:
    Above "illegal parking" is mentioned, it's not technically illegal parking if I don't stop. So if I drive like .1 mph is it still illegal?
    It would be dangerous driving to allow a passenger to board if the vehicle was still moving. You'd prefer to be done for illegal parking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Wow you seem like an incompetant fool behind the wheel of your car. If you ever delay me by more than a millisecond, I will beat you with a stick and throw pebbles at your car! Watch out, I am on the warpath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

cormie wrote:
    Thanks Chief! I'll have a gawk on Monday and tell him to wait in there if it looks ok. He could get mangled trying to make his way there every morning though.

One more thing

Your whole attitude is wrong dude.

Instead of leaving earlier and obeying the law, you leave late and break it.
    Picking someone up with out stopping
    Stopping to pick someone up in bad/dangerous location
    Driving on the motorway without a full licence
    Having illegal L plates.

How is anyone meant to take that seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

This whole thread is becoming a bit of a joke to be honest.

Cormie - I doubt you can drive as well as you think. It's all very easy to say your not a boy-racer...what makes a good driver is experience and education. Judging by this discussion I'd say you have plenty to learn.

I'll be more careful driving around your route just incase the car in front of me starts behaving stupidly. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:
    It's not exactly rush hour traffic either.
    So you mean that you stop in the right hand lane when traffic is moving freely? Thats even fupping worse!

Wow you seem like an incompetant fool behind the wheel of your car. If you ever delay me by more than a millisecond, I will beat you with a stick and throw pebbles at your car! Watch out, I am on the warpath.

Wow you seem like a tough guy behind your firewall. I guarantee you wouldn't threaten me with violence face to face so please refrain from this false abusive nature.

Ricardo, I am going to be arranging to pick the guy up in the construction site entrance as I have said.

The location is in fact pretty safe.

My L plates are legal, I just don't display whilst on the M50.

Seamus, haha, yeah I suppose.

Unfortunately, I am breaking the law wherever I drive alone because I should be accompanied by a fully licensed driver.

The only other choice I have besides breaking the law is to not drive at all.
    I'm willing to take the risk.

Of course I have plenty to learn (parallel parking!) but I am road worthy.

kbannon wrote:
    So you mean that you stop in the right hand lane when traffic is moving freely? Thats even fupping worse!

The point I stop at is single lane traffic, cars start to disperse a few metres on to their desired lane. So when I stop it is in fact single lane traffic.

cormie wrote:
    The point I stop at is single lane traffic, cars start to disperse a few metres on to their desired lane. So when I stop it is in fact single lane traffic.
    Fair enough - that was not the impression you gave in your original post (below)!
    cormie wrote:
    On the way to work every morning I pick up a guy approaching the m50 roundabout from the rathfarnam direction. there are two lanes. The left for going to sandyford and the right for going on the m50. I pick him up about 50 metres from the stopping section before the roundabout. I put on my hazard lights, slow down and stop in the middle of the road (don't pull over because there is no room and I Would be blocking the left hand turners)he runs over gets in and I proceed to roundabout. The whole process takes about 7 seconds in which all the cars behind me start beeping. They can clearly see what's going on and know it will only take a few seconds.

Should I not be doing this?

cormie wrote:
    Wow you seem like a tough guy behind your firewall. I guarantee you wouldn't threaten me with violence face to face so please refrain from this false abusive nature.

ok sorry *hugs*

kbannon wrote:
    Fair enough - that was not the impression you gave in your original post (below)!

jebus hang on, I can't even remember which is right now!.............. just been thinking for a few seconds and I think it's just on the approach to a 2nd lane (the left hand one) but when I stop I don't think I can be passed from the left. Although I'm sure I have been. Damn brain!

ah don't worry, we're only ****ing with you!

today I stopped the car so that I could let a beautiful-sounding fart without any outside noise interference

ah don't worry, we're only ****ing with you!

today I stopped the car so that I could let a beautiful-sounding fart without any outside noise interference
    that is allowed :D
    In fairness Cormie, at least you had the balls to put your hand up and say that you may be wrong and what should you do. Most Irish 'drivers' wouldn't even think that they may be doing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Apart from the stopping to let a passenger embark issue, I'm a bit worried about your attitude. With all those people beeping behind you, would it not occur to you they do this to point out your mistake?

Do the test as soon as you can as well - it will tell you if you are suitable to carefully start gaining experience or that you should not be on the road :)

The common belief most people have with young male drivers, is that they don't drive with due care, don't obey the rules of the road and are overconfident. Dunno where they'd get that idea. :)

But we've all been there. Once you've scared the pants off yourself a few times, and maybe even have a baby in the back, or been stopped by the cops, you'll start to drive with more consideration of what you are doing. You'll also realise that there are other people who are better drivers than you are. Put it to you this way. If you thing you are a good driver now, imagine how much better you'll be in 5 or 10 years.

Of course there are people who never learn and will be bad drivers all their lives.

Unkel, that's the reason for my post. To see if they were just being impatient or to see if I was making a mistake. I'm itching to do the test! Damn waiting lists!

Ricardo, don't worry if you see me. I drive with great care and this is about the only rule I don't obey so far. I'm not over confident but I'm confident in my driving.

All I can do is learn so I feel driving 30 miles per day in various conditions is good experience. I'll let you all know how I do in my test when I do it anyway!

If I pass I'll be breaking no laws at all yeay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

cormie wrote:
    Ricardo, don't worry if you see me. I drive with great care and this is about the only rule I don't obey so far. I'm not over confident but I'm confident in my driving.

I dunno - driving since march and saying this:
    cormie wrote:
    I've been driving since March and I honestly think I'm probably better than allot of fully licensed drivers out there. That's not me boasting, just me putting them down.

I'm sure your think your getting an unfair grilling on this post - but bear in mind alot of this is coming from people with the benefit of hindsight. Hard to imagine now but think of this in 1 years time.

When I say about being better than fully licensed I basically mean, I do what your supposed to do and allot of them don't seem to. I'm mainly thinking of roundabouts and indication. Also putting the handbreak on instead of edging forward 2cm every 5 seconds at traffic lights. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad drivers but it's not good for the car. I also notice cars going way too fast around corners where there could be cyclists on the side of the road. Just loads of little examples. Also just utter impatience of overtaking me when I am doing the speed limit. I know I can improve but as I said me saying that is not be boasting, it's just me saying there are allot of fully licensed drivers who do allot of wrong things.

Also, I've had allot more road experience than just March til present, I used to cycle before I drove which is believe it or not, great road experience. Take care when overtaking cyclists people. Anything could happen!

cormie wrote:
    When I say about being better than fully licensed I basically mean, I do what your supposed to do and allot of them don't seem to. I'm mainly thinking of roundabouts and indication. Also putting the handbreak on instead of edging forward 2cm every 5 seconds at traffic lights. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad drivers but it's not good for the car. I also notice cars going way too fast around corners where there could be cyclists on the side of the road. Just loads of little examples. Also just utter impatience of overtaking me when I am doing the speed limit. I know I can improve but as I said me saying that is not be boasting, it's just me saying there are allot of fully licensed drivers who do allot of wrong things.
    Knowing and following the rules of the road does not make one a good driver. Foresight, moderation and courteousness are some core components of being a good driver, the first of those three being critical and only possible to gain through experience. You can't comment on other peoples's driving. You say people are going too fast around a corner, but you're not sitting in their car. Chances are they're more experienced than you and have already considered and compensated for any hazards lying around the bend.
    As an example, watch a motorcyclist next time one comes near (not a moped or a courier). What you'll see will look like extremely risky driving, but chances are he's considered and compensated for ten times the amount of hazards that you can see. Only worry about how you're driving, don't be so quick to assume that you're great because others appear to drive differently to you.
    Experience affords one the ability to lose some of the practices taught by driving schools. There's not really any need to have the handbrake on at lights unless you're on a hill. Otherwise I just use the footbrake. There's not a whole lot of need to have your hands at the 10-to-2 position all the time.
    Driving schools teach you to stay in one position on the road, when you'll learn through experience that it's safer to vary your road position at corners to afford yourself better visibility and more room.
    Also, I've had allot more road experience than just March til present, I used to cycle before I drove which is believe it or not, great road experience. Take care when overtaking cyclists people. Anything could happen!
    Road experience on a bicycle and in a car are incomparable. Don't fool yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:

One more thing

To me, you are either a flake or a troll (or both).

Your supercilious attitude is *unbelievable*. Driving for 5 months, think you are better than most... Even though all the replies in this thread tell you you are wrong, you just can't see it. Why ask (stupid) questions if you don't listen to the answers?

Otherwise, you could just wait til you get rear-ended by a 'worse' driver than you while you perform your highly dangerous manouevre. They would be probably be in the wrong, even though they were just doing their make-up/shaving/talking on their mobile/tuning the radio/reading the paper and failed to notice your hazard lights. Hazard lights give you carte blanche to do whatever crazy thing you like - but you know that already.

My 'defensive riding' advice to newbie motorcyclists was always: "Treat everyone else on the road as a complete idiot who will do just what you don't expect". You are a classic example.

My advice, get extra bright bulbs fitted in your hazard lights, and get your mechanic to wire them so they are on all the time. Oh, and disabuse yourself of the idea that you own the road.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    To me, you are either a flake or a troll (or both).

Your supercilious attitude is *unbelievable*. Driving for 5 months, think you are better than most... Even though all the replies in this thread tell you you are wrong, you just can't see it. Why ask (stupid) questions if you don't listen to the answers?

Otherwise, you could just wait til you get rear-ended by a 'worse' driver than you while you perform your highly dangerous manouevre. They would be probably be in the wrong, even though they were just doing their make-up/shaving/talking on their mobile/tuning the radio/reading the paper and failed to notice your hazard lights. Hazard lights give you carte blanche to do whatever crazy thing you like - but you know that already.

My 'defensive riding' advice to newbie motorcyclists was always: "Treat everyone else on the road as a complete idiot who will do just what you don't expect". You are a classic example.

My advice, get extra bright bulbs fitted in your hazard lights, and get your mechanic to wire them so they are on all the time. Oh, and disabuse yourself of the idea that you own the road.

If you actually read every post you will see that I have acknowledged the replies and taken advice given. I was explaining what people were quoting me on. I never said I was better than most. I said "I am probably better than allot of fully licensed drivers" in which, as I have said, I meant by doing things like indicators etc, not necesarilly experience and such. Please explain your terms "Flake" and "Troll"

If you think I'm an idiot and a hazard to motorcyclists simply because I stop to pick someone up (which I wont be doing any more in the same place now that I know I'm in the wrong) you are clearly ignorant and your immature advice of getting extra bright bulbs fitted is just ridiculous.

The reason I have quoted your reply is to respond to each inaccurate statement you have made. Research the full topic before posting in future please.

Seamus, I disagree that road experience behind a wheel and handlebars are incomparable.

Foresight "being critical and only possible to gain through experience" is very important whilst cycling also. You're always on the lookout for people about to make a mistake. If you're not awake and prepared for mistake whilst cycling through a city or a traffic jam or past bus stops with pedestrians, you will have an accident. I'm 100% positive cycling has given me experience that I also use whilst driving. Go for a cycle through rush hour traffic with no cycle lanes. You will understand.

For the record, I have been rear-ended. It was not my fault, I was driving to Dublin from Galway, I was approaching a roundabout and my destination was the first left hand turn. I was in the right hand lane, I overtook a truck, indicated left and turned in. I saw somebody pull in between me and the truck. There was not enough room and I was applying breaks as the car in front was stopping at the roundabout. I stopped and the car in behind me didnt apply strong enough and ended up bumping into the back of me. I pulled in at the left hand turn and unfortunately they sped around to the next exit and that was the last I saw of them. My car was fine, but they smashed the glass on their headlight.

2 funny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

seamus wrote:
    Foresight, moderation and courteousness are some core components of being a good driver, the first of those three being critical and only possible to gain through experience

Indeed. Anticipation is THE key to being a good / safe driver. The driving test should completely focus on this. A properly trained and qualified instructor should be able to assess your anticipation skills. A very simple example. You're approaching traffic lights and the lights turn amber. What do you do?

1. you brake and stop because the rules of the road state that you should stop

2. before the light turned amber, you had already assessed a second before that the car behind you (the same car that was behind you in the previous assessment a few seconds before that) was slowing down increasing the gap between your car and his. Your conclusion was that should the light turn amber at this point, it is safe to brake gently and stop. As soon as the light turns amber you verify if your last assessment still holds and act accordingly
    seamus wrote:
    Road experience on a bicycle and in a car are incomparable. Don't fool yourself.
    cormie wrote:
    Seamus, I disagree that road experience behind a wheel and handlebars are incomparable

Incomparable as they may be, every experience on the road counts. If more people would have experience using different means of transport, they would be better / safer at all those because they would be more considerate of other road users as both of you are proving

Advertisement