Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plz Help:NTSC COMPATIBILITY??.

Options
  • 20-08-2004 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have a 28 inch widescreen black diamond tv.
    It is advertised as pal/ntsc compatible.

I bought a pioneer system from richer sounds.The dvd player was part of the home cinema all-in-one.

The dvd player was upgraded to multiregion,by richer sounds.
    It is dual (pal/ntsc).

Here begins my problem:
    Region 2 discs play with a flat picture,and as perfect as can be(from a tube tv),under RGB scart.

Region 1 discs play also,as advertised(multiregion).
    But the corners of the dvd picture stutter/flicker/shake....like a glowing.Also,there is a terrible green tinge(noticeable on black/white movies)

I have been on to customer service,blah blah.

They seem to think,it is the tv.

But my old cheap multiregion player,has played region 1 discs perfectly,with no dvd picture problems.
    I assume therefore that my tv can play ntsc discs.

What seems to be the mystery here,is...compatibility.

Either a framerate incompatibility...or the conversion is too strong,for the tv i have...(maybe a different kind of ntsc is expected of the tv).

I can put up with the glowing screen,enough,to not send back the system to them,right about now....while i find out the problem.

It's hassle to send back,or even convert region 1 discs to region 2.I have alot of region 1.

I wonder,how can it be the dvd player?If region 2 plays perfectly.

I have heard a few names pop up...
    Macrovision???
    True NTSC 3.58???
    PAL 60(not real pal)???

NTSC>PAL convertor boxes(may not even help,in my case).

MAYBE the ntsc conversion is fecked up between my dvd player and tv.That's what i am thinking of,right now.
    Not the multiregion upgrade,or a fault in the dvd player...

If nobody can help me,it's ok.
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

do you have to change the output from the dvd player (from PAL to NTSC) when changing from R2 to R1?

my dvd player has this setting, but as its only R2 i have never had to change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭butch9850

I have the choice of AUTO,PAL,NTSC on my dvd player.
    Customer service told me,to stick with pal.
    No,i don't have to change the setting,when changing regions.

I have in fact manually changed the settings around,and the dvd picture was exactly the same,for each setting.

There wasn't a help,at all.

I think the specs of my multiregion dvd player,will change pal to pal,ntsc to ntsc or ntsc to pal 60(if needed).

I have heard,some dvd players only output true 3.58 ntsc,and if the tv can't handle that...problems occur.
    The other problem is:does the tv have a capability of pAL 60!?

It seems,the dvd player i bought...might only take ntsc disc signals,and give either pal 60 or 3.58 ntsc.
    NOT pal,or NOT 4.43 ntsc!!!(Which my tv could well unfortunately,only have)

Yes the tv is pal compatible(but may not have pal 60!)
    Yes the tv is ntsc compatible(but may not have true 3.58 ntsc!)

So i could be dually stuck,whichever way i look at my ntsc region 1 problem!!!

I don't know about all the mumbo jumbo.I've looked about a bit,and i can't find an answer.

Next place i will look,is probably thIS route....WHAT way can ntsc signals from a DVD DISC,be converted???and into which signals(for display on a tv)???

THE glowing screen,and green tinge.....for region 1 playback...could be caused by ntsc incompatibility(between my dvd player+tv).

Complicated stuff.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

OK, you say you are using SCART so any colour signal problems are out the door as you are feeding the set with red green and blue along with sync i.e. no pal/ntsc encoding.

It's likely that the DVD players out put is giving 60Hz field signals but you mention that the TV worked with PAL60 so this rules out field frequency as a problem. If possible can you try the s-video or pal output to see the effect and let us know - also what model is the player and tv-set.

Regards

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭butch9850

You prob saw the Black Diamond Widescreen Tv's around the place.

IT'S A nicam stereo,silver 28" BDS2846WS.

The all in one cinema system,i have...the dvd player is only available,as part of the setup.Not sold individually,on the market.

The dvd system is Pioneer DCS 515.

i THINK I Have tried the s-video composite output,at the very start..and noticed that sound went,and the picture was still glooming.
    I'm not sure,i will try it again tonight.

Thanks,
    I may not solve my problem,but i'm doing my best.

Advertisement