Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Investment suggestions, sizeable sum for 12 months

Options
  • 20-08-2004 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

There has probably been threads like this already, and if I'm bringing up an old chestnut then sorry, but I was just looking to get some up-to-date info.

I am heading to Austrailia for a year, and have a sizeable sum of mony (appox €80k-€100k) that I want to invest for 12 months, but I will need it when I get back home again.

I had been looking into buying a house, getting a morgage for the balance and renting it out to cover the morgage while I'm gone, but if I only keep it for 12 months then stamp duty etc. will eradicate any possibe income and I would probably just break even.

I'm open to any suggestions, fixed period depoist accounts, porperty investment, whatever. Any help that you could give would be much appricated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skybird

I could mind it here for you in Wexford and would not even charge you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

http://www.angloirishbank.ie/depositrateseuro.asp

2.35% for first 6 months, and 2.2% for remaining 6 months

I personally wouldn't be buying a house now, especially if you are going away and you'll have to pay someone to mind the house. And you're not guaranteed of getting tenants, they might wreck the place on you, and you'd have to put in a month of doing it up when you get back to sell it on again.

also picture your tenants ringing you up to fix a leak as you are driving through sydney city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Since you will be non resident for 12 months I'd suggest looking at offshore bank accounts.

Unless you want to invest in a small Dublin based software company ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Offshore accounts, now that sounds interesting, what are the big benifits with those (becides the tax free aspect)? Where would I get more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Most of the major banking chains do offshore accounts. StandardChartered and HSBC for example.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

nahdoic wrote:
    http://www.angloirishbank.ie/depositrateseuro.asp

2.35% for first 6 months, and 2.2% for remaining 6 months
    Which gives a CAR of 2.29% (variable). The 12 month fixed term rate was at 2.33% yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the man is non-resident for the tax year, he shouldn't have to pay retention tax, even if he puts the money in a bank in Ireland. (You need to check this with the ladies and gentlemen of the Revenue Commissioners).This means he will get a return that's a good bit higher. I believe Northern Rock gives a slightly better rate than Anglo, but I could be out-of-date.

Advertisement