Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon may have me

• 20-08-2004 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Here's my problem, I ordered a line test from eircom since my line kept failing the online tests, Eircom passed my line and phoned my house and informed my mam that they were sending out a modem(I never ordered bb from eircon just a line test) a few days before hand I ordered the iol free trial since my line was now passing the online tests, when eircom rang they never said hello this is eircom so my mam assumed that it was iol calling. Yesterday the post man calls with a modem from eircon and I couldn't help myself but install it. I still haven't cancelled the free trial from iol. Whats the chances of me ditching low cap eircon for iol when the iol modem arrives? I never actually ordered eircom just a line test.
    I would love to have a 16gb cap rather than an 8gb and save a fiver at the same time.
    Any advise?
    Cheers
    Richy

ps.I just couldn't help myself seeing the modem there in front of me while playin some cs on 56k, yes maybe I am a fool!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ring them up and tell them to collect the modem

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They probably won't be happy that you opened the package of the modem though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's a free trial, that's their problem.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

If it's a no strings attached trial then you're fine. The problem is that Eircom will now have a hold on your line. You won't be able to get the IOL one until it's freed up, whether Eircom will do this before the 3 months expires is anyones guess.

Sarn wrote:
    If it's a no strings attached trial then you're fine. The problem is that Eircom will now have a hold on your line. You won't be able to get the IOL one until it's freed up, whether Eircom will do this before the 3 months expires is anyones guess.

They will charge you for 12 months usage AFTER they decide the 3 months is up UNLESS you send it back to them and unlock the port.

Email phil.nolan@eircom.ie , their head of tricky accounting problems :D He'll sort it all out for ya so you can have your free IOL package.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Thanks for the help will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

dahamsta wrote:
    It's a free trial, that's their problem.
    Eircom don't have a free trial. You're "on contract" from day 1, but they aren't going to charge you until October 1st.

-oRnein9-, I think you're stuck with eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I just couldn't help myself seeing the modem there in front of me while playin some cs on 56k, yes maybe I am a fool!
    I have to agree, it wasn't the smartest thing to do. However, you could possibly get out of this in one piece.

Uninstall it (if you havn't already) and ring em up ASAP. Get to some high up (not the usual first line tech support) and explain the situation. Tell them you had previously ordered IOL, but Eircom "accidently" sent you out a modem, and your mam installed it, thinking it was from IOL. (here's your chance to explain that she doesn't know that much etc etc). Then say the modem is already in the post being returned.

Don't accept no for an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Joe23

Sounds odd that you didn't have to sign anything, or at least give a credit card information or anything. I can't remember 100% but afaik I had to sign something for utv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

With Eircom you don't have to sign anything and you get charged on the phone bill.

• Advertisement

if you sign nothing there is no contract. Alternatively they may have a tape of the phone call order but as he ordered nothing there is no record.

They simply sent out a modem when he rang for the line test for DSL, not the same thing and certainly not a contract . I wonder how many other IOL customers have disappeared like this ?

Remember that the DSL test database is allegedly maintained by Eircom Wholesale but for some mysterious reason you must ring Eircom Retail to get your line tested.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I was incidently never told about a 12 contract period when I signed up and I was thinking of switching provider before my 12 months were up so I called Eircom ADSL sales and asked what the story was. I was told about the 12 month contract obviously and after some arguing back and forth, the Eircom rep agreed that they didn't have a leg to stand on. Which they don't. But I suspect they would have made my life so difficult that it wouldn't be worth my while arguing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

The 12 month contract bit is in their standard Terms and Conditions. Let the buyer beware etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

That damned EirCon modem is faulty, isn't it ?.. Therefore you have lost faith in their Broadband service, and they can collect it at their own expense.

You are not prepared to accept a replacement and you are now changing to another Broadband ISP. They are in breach of any damned contract as the modem is not fit for the purpose for which it is intended.

Aaaaaw poor EirCoN :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Simple solution:

Tell them the modems faulty and not working, and your rights are that you want a refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is it not standard for a contract to have a cooling off period of 7 days?
    I know any ISP's in the Uk have this, u get your line enabled and you have 7 days in which you can cancel without any issues, is this not standard to alot of contracts not just DSL one's?

Advertisement