Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC English-Wtf??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

A lot of my friends got very different marks from what they were expecting... I got a B2, which I suppose I'm happy enough with, but I was expecting more. English is one of my best subjects, and I was predicted an A1. One girl I know got a C3 and was expecting an A1... I think the marks were a bit odd this year. A lot of people were surprised.
    But I'm going to appeal the arse off it ;)
    So we'll see what happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

seriously guys and gals ITS OVER ,you should be trying to get ready for what comes next in your life -work/college/travel or whatever. dont be trying to analyze all this, tis not good to dwell in the past. just think now you can read books,poems or write without criticism (unless you are doing arts in college or something else ;) )...english is like art one mans bull**** is anothers brilliance.LOOK FORWARD not backwards, or you will just get a brain ache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I got a D1, had gotten high B's/A's since first year.

Expected C1 at the very least, B2 was what I was hoping for.

Not even bothered getting it rechecked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

this might sound smug and annoying but did most of the ppl who were disappointed do the macbeth question about the scene that appealed to you or something?? I remember thinking it looked a bit too like Junior Cert question and thought 4 pages would be hard to write so did 'harder' question... paid off. still getting it checked, just wondering if htats where ppl fell down??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

when I did the LC, (8 years ago on the old course), paper 2 was one poetry, one drama and one literature question plus one of your choice. My teacher said that statistics showed that the highest marks went to people who answered two drama questions. So I took that approach. She used to be a head examiner and she had a set of photocopies of essay scripts that hse had accumulated over the years consisting of learned-off essays that people wrote down, even though they bore little or no relation to the title. So she drilled it into us to just let things flow and not to try hard to write essays. (if that makes sense, she said that pre-learned essays just stand out a mile).

Other than that, I didn't learn any essays or answers off. I went in on the day armed with quotes and poems yes, but everything else I did from the top of my head. I just feel that english has to be done that way. it is uniquely different from the other subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think the hardest thing here is that I am a very good english student. I excel at aptitude tests in that region, have a natural love of debating and reading and my grammar is usually impeccable (not online cos i cba :p ). Then I see someone who couldn't hold a discussion to save their life getting an A. It just feels like an injustice.

Advertisement