Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG834 and Esat Business DSL

• 20-08-2004 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -

I was using the Netgear DG814 modem/router with Esat Business DSL til a couple of days ago, and it quit working on me, so I bought the DG834 yesterday,and I can't get it to connect. Does anyone else use this piece of kit with Esat Business?
    I know the line is ok, I'm using their supplied modem right now. I need to get it up and running ASAP, so if anyone can recommend a similar modem/router w/ firewall for around the same price (the DG834 cost me €114) I would be most greatful.

Cheers
    q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

make sure you got the got the line in the right socket of the micofilter (the double socket plug) try putting 192.168.0.1 into a web broser and loggin into the router. the user/pass is usually something like admin, pass

check the connection status to see if it is connected, there should also be a wizzard to detect the correct line settings and allow you to put in username password.

if the little i light is in red or yelow it means there is no connection so check the cables. if none of the numbers are lighting up it means the cables could be broken.

netgear dg834 is a good modem / router once its setup you can forget about it

have you tried to call support or do they refuse to support your new modem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Hi -

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't use a splitter coz my line is data only - I've no voice on the line (don't pay €ircon any money), and I'm using the supplied modem now, with a crossover cable to hook into my other box, so I know the line and cables are good.
    I set up and configured the DG814 (which I got working in about a minute), and the administration is pretty much the same as the DG834, and it's static IP - I don't need a username/password to connect.
    Esat don't support anything except their own kit, so they were no help.
    I brought the DG834 back to the store, and they said it works ok, so I'm gonna go in tomorrow and collect it and try again. I'll let you know how it goes.
    q

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rrolfe wrote:
    netgear dg834 is a good modem / router once its setup you can forget about it

have you tried to call support or do they refuse to support your new modem ?

Agreed, I have the DG834G (exact same as DG834 cept it has Wireless) and it works perfectly on Esat Business
    Its just going to be configuration to be honest

Might be worth a try upgrading the firmware to 1.05.00 before you start.
    see change-log etc http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/DG834G.asp
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Make sure you update your firmware as the equipment has a bit of a tendency to disconnect and not reconnect automatically

Advertisement