Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speeds maxed at 40k/sec??

• 20-08-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

This is ridiculous. Im using eircoms 512/128k Broadband like. Im hearing some poeple getting a sustained 50+k/sec using the same service... My cousin, for example, I went over to sort out a few problems with her computer, and was amazed seeing her connection sustain a nice 53k/sec. Where as my connection starts at about 50, and slows down to just over 40/sec. I get this when downloading pretty much anything, even if it's from a high speed uk/ireland server.
    Is this normal for Eircom, or even a 512k connection in general?

Im using a Netgear WGR614v2 wireless router, with the netopia piece of excriment bridged, so the netgear dials through it. I was constantly getting disconnected aswell, but since I've added the netgear to the equation that has not happened.(just incase the netgear might impact my connection)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Maybe you live a bit far out from the exchange? RADSL users who are too far from the exchange cannot be guaranteed 512k - you're actually paying for a minimum of 256k up to 512k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You have RADSL (Rate adaptive DSL). That means the DSL connection will auto-negotiate the fastest possible connection that your phone line can support when it connects. More than likely your line is sub-standard or a fair distance from the exchange and it's impacting on your connection speed as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Yeah, where I live is kinda old. Like 30+ years at least.... The area wouldn't have seen any cable laying since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Does anyone have the NTL starter package at 300KbPS what speeds are u getting out of it on average eg 44Kbps or more or less??? Thanks

Colly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm about a mile from my exchange afaik and I get a steady 54kbps. Usually starts off in the hundreds and slowly drops to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My impression is that Eircom's line tester is so strict that everyone basically gets 50k+. I'm at the limit of coverage in my area and my line shows up as failed on the online line tester but I get solid 52-53kbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

My impression is that Eircom's line tester is so strict that everyone basically gets 50k+.

Eircoms Line Tester is a load of crap, engineer that tested my line showed me a little tool he had to query the line, yello hand held thingy (no not an voltmeter) but he said the line could sustain upto 150kb a second based on noise and quality factoring.

Eircom say my line is not compatable for 512k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Colly,

I got the NTL starter package 300K. Currently I get a reported speed from Mcafee speedometer of 292 Kbps or 36.45 KBps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm about a mile from my exchange afaik and I get a steady 54kbps. Usually starts off in the hundreds and slowly drops to that.

The only reason why it starts in the 100's is before you even save the file to a location IE or Mozilla is already starting to cache it in the background so it already has some data down so it miss-reports the speed.
    IE has a habbit of mis-reporting download speeds.
    I myself have clocked 124k/sec as highest download on my line ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

56k modems ...............
    512k dsl .......working like 56k modems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

egan007 wrote:
    56k modems ...............
    512k dsl .......working like 56k modems

sorry what are you trying to say?
    a 56k modem can download at40 kilobytes per second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

my point is that it's too f*c*ing slow no matter what your choice is here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe its just because of my work, but when a person complains of disconnects and slow downloads etc More often then not its down to there configuration on there PC or the layout they have with dsl filters and extention leads etc
    Yeah it can be a issue with the line but not that often tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

what's wrong with 40K a second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm 30yards away from my exchange and get around 55k - 65k and I have a pound shop extension lead running through the house :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

DrEvil wrote:
    what's wrong with 40K a second?
    It's not 52K a sec :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

mang87 wrote:
    Im using a Netgear WGR614v2 wireless router, with the netopia piece of excriment bridged,

Which particular piece of excrement is it? There's a chance you may be able to console/telnet onto the Netopia modem and retrieve the DSL stats via a SHELL command such as 'show dsl'. It would be interesting to see what your line has actually trained up to plus what the noise levlels look like.
    /MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I've been there.
    Drove me crazy.
    Phone wallahs of no help.They reckoned I had Adware.
    Downloaded a small TCP/IP optimiser having had a half gallon of loose porter and bingo!
    Maybe not your problem, but nothing to loose.........I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I thought it was excrement too until I got it working.
    I use Ethernet because my machine is an 1997 H233 Dell.
    Others have told me that USB is superior in that situation.
    I have seen both USB and Ethernet connected from the the Netopia modem to the same machine.
    Are there words of wisdom on this? Should I leave well enough alone?
    I get about 54KB + about a mile from the exchange.
    I think people may be getting their Kbs and their KBs mixed up, not that I'd care to give a lecture on the subject .

It's not 52K a sec :p

Not sure about Ireland but in the UK anything above 30k/sec is acceptable by BT, anything below is considered a line issue

Obviously this needs to be properly tested from a fast ftp and none some backass website or torrent etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

I had NTL's 1meg internet line at home and was fairly delighted to see a steady 126k per sec coming down the line but what i don't understand is that in the States if they say your getting a 1meg line YOUR DAMN WELL GETTING 1MEG. The line is digital over here so why the hell are we all been led to believe that 45 - 125k is good. ITS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i'll move back to the states for that one reason.

1megabit == 128kbytes/sec. Speed can vary on cable and dsl because that's what they're designed to do. The states uses the same technology more or less and the same things occour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

u cud try plugging eircom modem into ur main primary phone socket,see if download speed improves ,ur extension wiring may be old or worn , im presuming ur working off extension.line quality depends on all the connectons between u and exchange if ur going to pole it prbly wont be asgood as a direct underground connection to eircom distribution cabinet, phone wire may be 30 years old if its going to box on eircom pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

:D Get yourself a little app called "Broadband Wizard", it can optimize your bandwidth real good. I'm also on the Eircom 512/128 package and getting good download speeds (rarely under 50 kbps0)

I'm testing speeds at minimum of 475 kbps when before i optimized was getting 320 kbps.
    Hopes this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 scriv

Yeah well I get 26k max on an IOL "PLUS" package....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Moriarty wrote:
    1megabit == 128kbytes/sec. Speed can vary on cable and dsl because that's what they're designed to do. The states uses the same technology more or less and the same things occour.

I'm sorry to argue this point with you but 1Megabyte == 1024kilobytes. Now with this in mind tell me why we are being led to believe that 126kbytes from a 1Meg Digital Cable line is good. Where is the rest of my 898kilobytes gone. They should sell this stuff based on what your going to actually receive not what your never capable of receiving.

Cheers
    Eldarin

1megabit cable connection. 128kilobytes/sec maximum download speed.

1024kilobit (=1megabit) divided by 8 (8 bits in a byte) to get the max speed in bytes per second.

8 bits in a byte

1024 bytes in a kilobyte

1024 kilobytes in a megabyte

It's standard practice to list the bandwidth of a connection in bits, but download speeds in bytes.

Advertisement