Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some exciting ifi news for september/october

• 20-08-2004 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

just got this info from the ifi newsletter

Films for September and October
    Sept. 3rd 2004
    Donnie Darko: The! Director's Cut
    Love Me If You Dare

Sept. 10th 2004
    Facing Windows

Sept. 17th 2004
    Code 46

Oct. 1st 2004
    Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

Oct. 8th 2004
    Bubba Ho-Tep

Oct. 15th 2004
    Old Boy
    Vodka Lemon

Oct. 29th 2004
    Coffee and Cigarettes
    The Corporation

Now Showing:
    » The Flower of Evil
    » My Architect

Upcoming Festivals and Seasons:
    Federico Fellini Season, Stranger Than Fiction Documentary Festival, Horrorthon, Chinese Film Week

sounds pretty frickin cool!!! especially looking forward to Donnie Darko:directors cut(thank goodness this is being shown), love me if you dare, metallica, bubba ho-tep(again, yay on the cinema release), old boy, documentary festival, horrorthon and the chinese film week :D.
    the full ifi program will be online by the 24th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Of those I've seen:

Oldboy - Brilliant. Didn't think it would be coming here for another while.

Bubba Ho-Tep - A must for all Bruce Campbell fans.

Coffee and Cigerattes - Some good scenes in it. Overall average enough. Doesn't stack up well compared to Jarmusch's back catalogue.

The Corporation - 3 hours long. About what you'd expect. Nothing great.

What's on in the Chinese film week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

will know definitely by tuesday its looking, but im guessing it'll be headlined by oldboy, of other chinese films possibly infernal affairs 2,azumi, hero those automatically come to mind but i really have no clue

as for the horrorthon, again most likely headlined by bubba ho-tep, what recent horror films are there(juon:the grudge?) ?

theres another season not listed up there(but its in todays ticket) as far as i know, birth of a nation(controversial hate/pro kkk movie), fahrenheit 9/11, in the realm of the senses(hopefully completely uncut) and natural born killers

herobear wrote:
    will know definitely by tuesday its looking, but im guessing it'll be headlined by oldboy, of other chinese films possibly infernal affairs 2,azumi, hero those automatically come to mind but i really have no clue

as for the horrorthon, again most likely headlined by bubba ho-tep, what recent horror films are there(juon:the grudge?) ?

theres another season not listed up there(but its in todays ticket) as far as i know, birth of a nation(controversial hate/pro kkk movie), fahrenheit 9/11, in the realm of the senses(hopefully completely uncut) and natural born killers

Well Oldboy is Korean and Azumi is Japanese. Maybe the chiese films mightn't be cutting edge modern chinese films. They might even have 2046 !! (dreams on...)

Edit: After looking at IMDB I see 2046 is scheduled to come to the UK on 15th October so it may come to the IFI.

oldboy is korean ?? hmmm, stupidly forgot about azumi being japanese.
    2046 is chinese ?? i thought it was korean, would be pretty cool to see though i agree
    although it is rare for arthouse type films to be released in this country at the same time as the u.k. as im sure theres not a great number of prints of the film lying around(just look at something like the best of youth, premiered in the uk in june i think. coming out over here next month, now that i think this a likely ifi film(just split in 2 parts, since complete its over 6 hours long) another famous example is hellboy, but i wouldnt call that art-house :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I thought Bubba Ho Tep was ****, and that's from a massive fan of both Bruce Campbell and of Don Coscarelli.

Donnie Darko directors cut sounds good, though it'd be nice if it was in the horrorthon, which is where the theatrical edition was first shown in this country.

Unfortunately will miss the horrorthon for the first time in six years due to moving to Canada about a week before it. Sucks to be me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

I thought Bubba Ho Tep was pretty good, to be honest though (and this is just an opinion) I don't think it would really have much place in a Horrorthon. I know it has a mummy in it and all but I thought that was more a sideplot with the main theme just being him (Elvis) growing old. I mean, it's not exactly a scary movie or anything is it? Oh well, I don't know, thats just what I think.

I'm not a big fan of the IFI, the overwhelming smell of coffee and loud conversations about nuance and cliches make me run away, plus I don't think they'd let me in because I don't have a beret :D I'm only kidding, I do think the place is a bit too upper class for me though ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've seen Code 46 and while from a cinematic point of view its nice to watch it's kinda of boring and so much more could have been done with it.
    Shame really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I also thought Bubba Ho-Tep was remarkably underwhelming and disappointing. The movie itself didn't seem to be nearly as entertaining as the summary of the movie would have you believe.

I wish the ifi was in cork. I really want to see DD, because I want to see it on the big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

does that mean the films only show on those dates or they will be showing until the next date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dick Darlington

the Stranger Than Fiction Documentary Festival is great. Last year they had Spellbound, The Fog of War, Capturing the Friedmans and Stevie. The director of Stevie, Steve James (Hoop Dreams), introduced the film and after a showing of Hoop Dreams he did a Q and A with wat can only be discribed as a dismal turn out for a great director who spent a number of years on both Hoop Dreams and Stevie. Anyone who has seen Stevie will know how personal a film it is since Steve James grew up with Stevie, but he was very open and honest with all questions asked and only finished because he ran out of time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cabaal wrote:
    I've seen Code 46 and while from a cinematic point of view its nice to watch it's kinda of boring and so much more could have been done with it.
    Agreed. Some nice shots (closest offhand example is Steven Soderbergh's Solaris) and interesting ideas (closest offhand is Gattaca) but it just doesn't quite gel because it's... kinda dull. Did you see it at the UGC thingy as well or "home cinema"?

im really surprised, ive heard nothing but good things about bubba ho-tep. Ive been meaning to import the r1 dvd for ages now
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    does that mean the films only show on those dates or they will be showing until the next date?

all those films listed above, will play for AT LEAST a week, but generally more depending on what the ifi perceive its popularity will be like, i'd say for example Donnie Darko:Directors cut will be play for awhile as there is a certain amount of anticipation(even on this thread) for it.

generally, the only one off showings are part of film seasons(i.e. upcoming horrorthon, chinese film week etc...) with a popular film choice maybe getting 2 or 3 screenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

good news, donnie darko is showing for a full 2 weeks.
    IFI Donnie Darko Timetable
    they obviously anticipate high demand.

BTW, is it still possible to get a weekly membership? i didn't renew my yearly this year

herobear wrote:
    im really surprised, ive heard nothing but good things about bubba ho-tep. Ive been meaning to import the r1 dvd for ages now
    I was too, then a friend did and thankfully saved me the money. It has such a stunning trailer, I was expecting so much more. What no review i've read of it has pointed out is how long and meandering the film is. I didn't think the content of the film deserved much more than an hour of screen time, so the ninety minutes it gets can be pretty painful at times.

I'd still recomend you see it when it screens to make up your own mind.

right, i got the new programme in the post today :D

so heres some info

chinese film festival:
    headlined by hero, also features,
    my father and i, zhou yu's train, red snow, nuan, the road home, warrriors of heaven and earth, life show - good mixture of stuff

stranger than fiction documentary festival:
    riding giants(does for surfing what dogtown and z-boys did for skateboarding), battle of the bogside, game over: kasparov and the machine, end of the century: the ramones, chernobyl heart, checkpoint, tibet: cry of the snow lion.

inciendiary cinema:
    the birth of a nation, battleship potemkin, viriadiana, battle of algiers, ai no corrida, natural born killers, fahrenheit 9/11

horrorthon:
    dead meat, tobe hooper's the toolbox murders, the eye 2, juon: the grudge 2, the hillside strangler, dead and breakfast, dracula('79 version), bloody moon, eaten alive and much more

theres also a nordic(more scandinavian) film week, a federico fellini film season and the ifi open day on 18th september

looks like a pretty exciting 2 months :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

herobear wrote:
    Oct. 8th 2004
    Bubba Ho-Tep

Oct. 15th 2004
    Old Boy

I'd definetly love to see both of those.
    Wonder if anywhere in Galway will be showing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Whats the story with the IFI though? Do you have to buy a years membership and pay for each movie you go to? . How much do these cost, I couldnt see any info about this on their site, I'm sure it's there but I can't find it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

scoey wrote:
    Whats the story with the IFI though? Do you have to buy a years membership and pay for each movie you go to? . How much do these cost, I couldnt see any info about this on their site, I'm sure it's there but I can't find it.
    It's there :)
    Ticket prices URL=http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/index.asp?PageID=72]here[/URL:
    IFI Members Discount Prices in Brackets
    Mon-Fri 2pm-6pm €7.50(€6.75) Conc.€6.00(€5.40)
    6pm-9pm €8.00(€7.20) Conc.€7.50(€6.75)
    Sat-Sun 2pm-4pm €7.50(€6.75) Conc.€6.00(€5.40)
    4pm-9pm €8.00(€7.20) Conc.€7.50(€6.75)

The annual membership is €20, although cheaper for students (€15 I think). However, you can also buy membership for a week. This membership entitles you to bring up to two friends, I think, and costs around €4.

It's worth noting that only some movies require membership. Generally only those movies without a certificate (i.e. that can't be shown elsewhere). "Donnie Darko", I believe, should have a certificate so you should be able to see it without having to become a member.

the new ifi yearly membership also entitles you to:
    1 free cinema ticket
    10 % discount in the ifi bookshop
    bi-monthly programmes sent to you directly in the mail
    invitations to free advance screenings(most recently, before sunset and love me if you dare) and public interviews
    email updates about upcoming releases

th last i heard, the weekly membership cost just over 2 euro, but it might have gone up in price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

I wish the ifi was in cork. I really want to see DD, because I want to see it on the big screen.

Maybe you realise?! But The Kino is the Cork alternative cinema. It doesn't show as many movies as the IFI/IFC but it is there. http://www.kinocinema.net/ I'd be surprised if they don't show DD at all?!

Personally, I love the place, it's true it's usually very busy, but I think the atmosphere is mellow and the crowd usually pretty alternative as opposed to 'upper class'. Being from Meath I can't be saying this cos I'm upper class

-From Lil' Miss Working Class '04 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

10 % discount in the ifi bookshop

since when? :eek:

I've wasted a bloody fortune over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I've never been there before, but I might go to see Some Kind of Monster.

What exactly is the IFI open day?

The IFI open day is absolutely brilliant.

The cinema is free for the day, and they show films all day. Tickets become available at staggered intervals of the day (so the eleven o clock morning show tickets become available at 10, the 3 at 2 etc...) Only two tickets per person.

They show a variety of films all day, kids films (willie wonka and the chocolate factory) foreign (like water for chocolate) classics (sunset blvd) and as yet to be released films.

The place is full of people and it's great craic.

When's it on this year?

The open day generally has a theme as well. Be warned, queues are always big.

mycroft wrote:
    since when? :eek:

I've wasted a bloody fortune over the years

since the new membership plan came available apparently, i think in july

as for the open day its on saturday 18th september and has a music theme.
    box office opens at 10 am
    films start at 11 am with cinema1: this is spinal tap, cinema2: topsy turvy
    films at 2.15 c1: sign o' the times c2: the band wagon
    films at 4.30 c1: u2 - rattle and hum c2: lift to the scaffold
    films at 6.30 c1: surprise film(advanced screening) c2: koyaanisqatsi
    films at 8.45 c1: cabaret c2: grosse pointe blank

tickets are limited to 2 per person per film

Lodgepole wrote:
    The open day generally has a theme as well. Be warned, queues are always big.

Do they release the schedule of what they plan to show or is it all a big surprise?

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Do they release the schedule of what they plan to show or is it all a big surprise?

*cough* see one post above you :p

• Advertisement

How blind am I?! :o Sorry

since the new membership plan came available apparently, i think in july

God thats a relief, I spent a fortune in there last year.

Off topic aside from having a kicks ass soundtrack how is Grosse Point Blank fitting in with the musical theme, and has anyone else got the Special Edition Spinal Tap DVD with the band's voice over.

mycroft wrote:
    kicks ass soundtrack

you said it yourself :p

also be aware that the 10% discount in the bookshop is for new/returning members only, if you bought a membership before july(like me :() you're uneligible...but you could always chance your arm.
    i absolutely LOVE spinal tap, but dont own the dvd :(

i absolutely LOVE spinal tap, but dont own the dvd

The DVD aside from having the usual directors commentary has a commentary by the band, bitterly complaining that the documentary is a distortion of what actually happened. It includes Nigel saying "He's dead", or "He died last year", "They passed away" whenever anyone new walks on screen. It's classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

herobear wrote:
    tickets are limited to 2 per person per film
    When are the tickets available? On the day?

mycroft wrote:
    The DVD aside from having the usual directors commentary has a commentary by the band, bitterly complaining that the documentary is a distortion of what actually happened. It includes Nigel saying "He's dead", or "He died last year", "They passed away" whenever anyone new walks on screen. It's classic

My DVD doesn't have the director's commentary, only the band one. Isn't it only the US edition that has the director's one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ixoy wrote:
    Agreed. Some nice shots (closest offhand example is Steven Soderbergh's Solaris) and interesting ideas (closest offhand is Gattaca) but it just doesn't quite gel because it's... kinda dull. Did you see it at the UGC thingy as well or "home cinema"?

Home cinema, but but but how would I manage that, its not even out on DVD yet :)

Advertisement