Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Miracle' man Mourinho criticises critics

• 20-08-2004 9:02pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

He is off...it did not take him long.Here is abit from the interview I will post the link at the end for the rest.

Chelsea's unsmiling new Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho has demanded respect because he believes is already producing miracles at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho sat through a 30-minute media preview of tomorrow's Premiership clash with Birmingham without raising even a glimmer of humour or excitement.

Instead he launched into a ranting diatribe, criticising the state of the English game, his problems having so little time with the Chelsea players and the lack of credit he and his players have been given by the media.

The laughing Claudio Ranieri - sacked at Chelsea for finishing second - it certainly was not.

And it seemed a negative way to send the Premiership title pretenders into a tough away task against a Birmingham side who have brought in almost as many new players as moneybags Chelsea during the summer - including three Stamford Bridge rejects in Muzzy Izzet, Mario Melchiot and Jesper Gronkjaer to join on-loan striker Mikael Forssell.

Yet Mourinho could still easily be revelling in his marvellous feat of lifting the Champions League trophy with FC Porto before accepting a multi-million pound contract with Chelsea - and then winning his first league game at home to redoubtable former champions Manchester United. Results are the easiest way to silence the critics.

But Mourinho did not like some of the public reservations about that narrow 1-0 win and said: 'Everybody has his opinion and can write and say what they want or feel, but sometimes they write what they don't feel.

'I was taught to respect other opinions but at the same time my personality is not open to be influenced by critics or by opinions.

'I think I'm lucky because I'm coming to England as a European champion and I can imagine what it would be like if I came here on an ordinary CV. I want to say one thing - I didn't ASK to come here. I was in a small country, beautiful in fact, trying to improve, and I became a European champion.

'Some English clubs came after me. I didn't go to to church and pray `please take me to England'. I don't pay to be here. Somebody trusted me and brought me here and I'm really happy about that because my family love it here and there is no worry.

'Yet some people always want to criticise, some people who hide behind their status of ex-players. Yet I am a European champion and, as that, I think I deserve a little respect - not much, just a little bit.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=307707&cc=5739

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You know I'm increasingly glad he chose Chelsea over Liverpool.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He is ****in' great entertainment. I can only see it backfiring though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

tbh sounds like he is getting a little hot under the collar. I think he must be under a lot of pressure. Looking forward to here him, Weinger and Fergason slagging each other off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

he'd be pefect for arsenal as wengers no.2.

imagine wenger and murinho at the one club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Same here Mike,Rafa is the real deal.Read through the interview and see how many times he says "I" were Rafa allways says "Us" or the team.

The media are going to have fun with Mourinho. :p

• Advertisement

Rafa has an awful lot to proove before he can be called the real deal. I mean come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

my thoughts too
    as for benitez proving himself, he won la liga twice in 3 years with valencia who hadn't won it for 30 years or whatever
    he didn't win the champions league, which mourinho did, but i don't think he has much more to proove than mourinho

besides, only one of the 2 managers has 100s of millions to throw around on crappy players, so if mourinho gains bought success it doesn't really mean hes the choosen one or anything

i think mourinho will provide much entertainment with his arrogance and demands :D
    then theres also santini, who is tipped as the new ranieri, except his english is worse

Ye but in England where it matters since he is now manager of Liverpool, he has a lot to proove and calling him the real deal this early is not acceptable regardless of his foreign success.

Same with Mourinho, although he has the UEFA and European Cup behind him meaning he can make extraordinary tactical decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Chelsea are slowly becoming a very boring team to watch under Mourinho. Makelele, Smertin and Geremi in the same team is very defensive. I haven't a clue why Duff didn't even get a place on the bench today, he looked fine on Wedensday.

guess duff could be on his way, i'd imagine mourinho doesn't like him (maybe too attacking?), as duff just recently declared his love for chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

eyerer wrote:
    guess duff could be on his way, i'd imagine mourinho doesn't like him (maybe too attacking?), as duff just recently declared his love for chelsea

Don't talk such nonsense,according to the mans own statements he does plan to incorporate creative players for greater width and more attacking football as soon as he can (i.e., as soon as they are fit and ready). a friendly is a whole lot diffrent to a Premier League game. Wouldn't be suprised if Duff gets in on Tue against Palace.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Chelsea are slowly becoming a very boring team to watch under Mourinho. Makelele, Smertin and Geremi in the same team is very defensive. I haven't a clue why Duff didn't even get a place on the bench today, he looked fine on Wedensday.

6 points are 6 points, Performances will come in time.

smuckers wrote:
    Don't talk such nonsense,according to the mans own statements he does plan to incorporate creative players for greater width and more attacking football as soon as he can (i.e., as soon as they are fit and ready). a friendly is a whole lot diffrent to a Premier League game. Wouldn't be suprised if Duff gets in on Tue against Palace.

don't get shirty, its a bit strange that he wasn't even in the squad
    then again, with the amount of players chelsea have, and there aren't many things about them that aren't strange

It was, but 2 games in 3 days may have been a bit too much for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I dont think Jose"I am in love with myself"Mourinho knows how bad the British rag press are,they will go after him if he is not an instant success...I wounder how he will react to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Mourinho is well known for his work man like midfield tho...id imagine he will introduce the creativity as time goes by...players like Smertin and Germi dont cut it at European level for me...id imagine by Champions league proper there would be a completly different look to the chelski attack including the forwards. I reckon he might have a problem in not playing Drogba, should he not preform, witht the huge fee he moved for aapart from that its early doors and chelsea havent slipped up, but they havent shown much creativity either..i think any critisim of mourinho's management style or tactics should be left until maybe after xmas or something....see how he does with a bit of time. Pre season people were saying he couldnt bring all these players together and that they would start slow......they've won 2 from 2 now people are saying that they wont last playing the way they play.....give him time then slag him or whatever...

Advertisement