Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compustore in Galway...

Options
  • 20-08-2004 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Seeing as the topic of the moment is a computer store...have any other Galwegians noticed some utterly rediculous prices in the shop?

Some off the top of my head:

Suse Linux 8.0...€120. 9.1 is €24.99 (converted) on the Suse site. Even with P&P I doubt it would go above €50.

Windows XP Professional...€434. The general price I've seen elsewhere is about €250.

There's a bland, unattractive biege case on sale, without power supply, for €115. Up the road in Maplin they've bling see-through cases with side and top fans (no PSU) for €65.

I was quoted €89.99 for a 40 gb hard drive that they didn't have in stock. I bought an 80 gb in Maplin for the same price.

On top of those I found that several of the staff haven't a clue. I enquired about whether they stocked D-Link brand ethernet dsl routers. I was variously directed to dial-up modems and USB dsl modems by various members of staff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The general rule is dont go into Compustore, majority of staff and prices seem to be idiotic.

They prey on the non-nerdy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Winters wrote:
    The general rule is dont go into Compustore, majority of staff and prices seem to be idiotic.

I figured that a while back. Maplin gets my vote any day as I can ask for a extension for a 3-pin CPU case can without getting a blank look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

have not been there at all since Maplin opened in Galway.

Mostly I buy online though.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Fenster wrote:
    I figured that a while back. Maplin gets my vote any day as I can ask for a extension for a 3-pin CPU case can without getting a blank look.

Maplin Galway must be very differant to Maplin Dublin. I have yet to ever go into Maplin and not have some member of staff either making up something about a product or just getting the totally wrong product. They do mean well I think but just dont always have a clue. I also hate having to stand at the counter while some kid plays with the stapler and sellotape. :rolleyes:

Maplin's prices are all converted sterling so can be very high, but they have a good range of little weird parts you will only ever find in there. Compustore seem to just have high prices in general, with no real reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Maybe I've missed the boat, but don't maplin and compustore sell different things?

The are both involved in the consumer electronics field.
    Compustore deal with pre-assembled products; the sort of stuff you bring home and take out of the box while Maplin deal mainly in components not just for PC's but pretty much anything electrical.

There for the staff in Maplin would be expected to be much more knowledgable on the techy side of things, Compustore staff deal with the general pc side of things.

• Advertisement

gillo wrote:
    Maybe I've missed the boat, but don't maplin and compustore sell different things?

The are both involved in the consumer electronics field.
    Compustore deal with pre-assembled products; the sort of stuff you bring home and take out of the box while Maplin deal mainly in components not just for PC's but pretty much anything electrical.

There for the staff in Maplin would be expected to be much more knowledgable on the techy side of things, Compustore staff deal with the general pc side of things.

I asked about a major brand of router and they couldn't even clue into what it was. I...work nearby...and every member of staff here at least has a general awareness of what stock we do and do not sell, and if they don't, they'll look it up or point you to someone who does.

No offence, but this is a PC store and these are sales staff. They have a responsibility to know what the hell they sell. Compustore doesn't even carry that much to start with.

and Compustore warranties are ****e, Onsite Service means they send the van out to collect the broken item for despatch to Dublin. Compustore Galway never ever fix anything on site because they are incapable of it. They will take the money off ya for it though :(( . At least Dell send out a sentient being with spare parts .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Compustore in Galway is a horrific joke, they rarely reduce prices over time...I was in there a few weeks ago (passing time before going to see a movie in the Omniplex, I like a good laugh so I always head into Compustore!) and saw a Radeon 9200 video card for €149.00!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah baby! Remove your belt, bend over, and prepare to be boarded when shopping at Compustore. There is no greater rip-off in Ireland I would think in percentage terms. If they were a car dealer they would be selling a 1988 Ford Fiesta (never been driven! still with new car smell!) for €40,000...

Muck wrote:
    and Compustore warranties are ****e, Onsite Service means they send the van out to collect the broken item for despatch to Dublin. Compustore Galway never ever fix anything on site because they are incapable of it. They will take the money off ya for it though :(( . At least Dell send out a sentient being with spare parts .

M
    Compustore don't sell onsite warranties
    If you are going to slate someone at least do it right

gillo wrote:
    Compustore don't sell onsite warranties
    If you are going to slate someone at least do it right

Probably shows how long it is since I was in there :D . Anyway it does not amatter any more, Maplin are here.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Wat i found so ironic bout ur is thread is down wen there was compustore in waterford there policy was if you found a diffrent item elswhere for cheaper u get it for that price!!!! :) There policy must be diffrent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Compustore pulled out of limerick, of course there could have been other reasons for this.

Locals buying from relatives working in Dell at a discount
    Their crap shop location on the Dock Road
    etc

Their prices were horrific if i recall correctly, nearly as bad as MCS. some things were worse

They pulled out cos they were not breakign even both there and in Waterford. The funny thing is the bought the franchise back in Waterford cos the franchise was doign so well, but somehow they managed to f**k-up is amazing style with about 6 months and were making such a loss at the place that they had to close it down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

they closed up months ago for "stock taking"

They never opened again!

Thats what the sign said, which was kinda true since they had to do a stock take when the shut down the two branches. The real reason was that the two stores were losing money and been subsidised by Dublin and Galway branches.

How do I knwo this? I used to work for them until they started f88king me about, pity though cos at a branch level they can be a great company to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Wat i found so ironic bout ur is thread is down wen there was compustore in waterford there policy was if you found a diffrent item elswhere for cheaper u get it for that price!!!! There policy must be diffrent
    Compustore Galway have the same policy.
    Probably shows how long it is since I was in there . Anyway it does not amatter any more, Maplin are here.

M
    They never sold onsite warrenties, CK used to own the building Compustore are in, maybe you are mixing them up.
    I like a good laugh so I always head into Compustore!
    Your sad if you do that tbh.
    No offence, but this is a PC store and these are sales staff. They have a responsibility to know what the hell they sell. Compustore doesn't even carry that much to start with.
    Not everyone can know everything, there are hundreds of different products, there are guys there that would know more about routers than others. At the end of the day sales are more important to the company. Although an up to speed staff is a nice plus. You must remember that alot of ppl that go to compustore are perhaps buying there first or second computer and don't know much about it and would prefer not buying online or over the phone.
    Compustore Galway never ever fix anything on site because they are incapable of it.
    Am, yes they do and are well capable in doing it. Most problems nowadays are lightning strikes (damage to modem) or virus related. If there is a physicial problem with a computer its the manufacturers responsibility most of the time.

Sniipe: The problem with price match is that it comes with several conditions: It must be the exact same item, it must be within a local store and it must not be on special offer.

The catch inherent there is that nowhere nearby carries the same stock for the most part or if they do, its more or less the same price (compared with what we stock in Currys). Maplin up the road as well carry very little that Compustore would-remember, it has to be the exact same item, so the whole price-match is moot.

Gillo: That's common practice in electrial retail. If you informed staff in advance that their store was closing they'd clean the place out. They just tell staff there's a stocktake coming up and to get ready for it. Roll on the day and they find they're out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Isn't putting someone out of a job without notice illegal. What about redundancy pay and all that. Can former employees claim redundency pay from the parent company if a store closes.

Isn't putting someone out of a job without notice illegal. What about redundancy pay and all that. Can former employees claim redundency pay from the parent company if a store closes.

No, they're given their notice on that day. They just don't have a place of work any more...

Fenster wrote:
    The catch inherent there is that nowhere nearby carries the same stock for the most part or if they do, its more or less the same price (compared with what we stock in Currys). Maplin up the road as well carry very little that Compustore would-remember, it has to be the exact same item, so the whole price-match is moot.

Gillo: That's common practice in electrial retail. If you informed staff in advance that their store was closing they'd clean the place out. They just tell staff there's a stocktake coming up and to get ready for it. Roll on the day and they find they're out of a job.

Fernster
    Those price match policies are the same as in every other company who offer that service. It's only fair to compare the exact same item.

As for common practice in electrical, I've worked in electrical retail selling various products for the past 5 years; are you accusign me of theft???

Stocktakes don't take lonng to get ready for and when compustore in Galway closed a stocktake was carried out so what exactly is your point? You got a bad service in compustore and prefere Maplin, go shop in Maplin they are a completely different sort of store.

• Advertisement

Electricwold fairly disappeared overnight ...right beside Compustore in Galway......no nice closin down sale or nuthin .

M

Muck wrote:
    Electricwold fairly disappeared overnight ...right beside Compustore in Galway......no nice closin down sale or nuthin .

M

It was the same as I said above, the staff were only told there was a stock take coming up. They turn up on the day and find they're out of a job. Not even Bill Maher the store manager was informed of it, and I should know as I work next door. :p

It woulda been about January 2003 if I recall I bought a fridge off them in December which still works thank the Lord. They ran off with Deposits that people had paid for items and peoples had grief getting them back and stuff in for warranty repairs and all .

Hope bloody Compustore dont legger too with the kids Christmas PC's :( .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Winters wrote:

I worked for a bit in the Compustore next to St. Stephens Green (as a Epson rep). If your in there, ask for Richie. He generally know's his sh*t. A few others were assigned parts of the store (laptops, PC's, etc) and they generally knew their stuff (when I worked there).
    Sniipe wrote:
    You must remember that alot of ppl that go to compustore are perhaps buying there first or second computer and don't know much about it and would prefer not buying online or over the phone.
    Alot of people who come into Compustore don't know sh*t. I've seen the customers been confused that their children would know about.
    Sniipe wrote:
    If there is a physicial problem with a computer its the manufacturers responsibility most of the time.
    In the old days, you'd repair a floppy drive. Now its cheaper to buy a new one. Same with alot of PC parts. Its cheaper to just get a new part. Having worked for a weekend in a Dublin Depo of Compustore where they fix the PC's, I can say they know their sh*t, but don't expect friggin mircles! If you live in the country (where the phone/electrical lines are above ground), and your PC gets fried, don't expect some simple software to fix it!

=====

And yes, I think Compustore is a rip-off. Why? I can build one cheaper myself, as I'm sure most of you whiners can as well, with parts from elsewhere.
    Compustore, tho, is pretty good value for those who want to buy the PC + know nothing about PC's. With Dell, you must know. With Compustore, the people can walk in, see the PC, ask questions, get response's, and buy a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Fenster wrote:
    It was the same as I said above, the staff were only told there was a stock take coming up. They turn up on the day and find they're out of a job. Not even Bill Maher the store manager was informed of it, and I should know as I work next door. :p
    A friend of mine worked in ElectricWorld in Santry.
    Lets just say they found out early enough in the day to make quittin time worth their while ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boss

the_syco wrote:
    In the old days, you'd repair a floppy drive. Now its cheaper to buy a new one. Same with alot of PC parts. Its cheaper to just get a new part. Having worked for a weekend in a Dublin Depo of Compustore where they fix the PC's, I can say they know their sh*t, but don't expect friggin mircles! If you live in the country (where the phone/electrical lines are above ground), and your PC gets fried, don't expect some simple software to fix it!

*nods*

==========

Bad form by compustore for letting their employees go without giving them a heads up.
    Has anyone seen the Galway store recently? They have nothing new there, I actually bought an old PC in there the other day for cheap (yes I said cheap). But there were no new PC's that I could see in there at all. Are they moving out or something? They have no competition in galway, maplin are not in direct competition with them. They probably are cleaning up in galway. Think of all the first year students going to college, they will all need new laptops and Pc's....

A 9600XT for €249... hahaha
    A 9700Pro for something over €400.... lol

I wanted a 5.1 surround sound system, I didn't buy there anyway, cause they had none!

I'll go in today to report some more.

Compustore have to revamp there whole attitude to Galway. PPL like new stuff. Maybe they should sell everything and start anew in the same location. Didn't CK own the place before hand and compustore took it over?

PC superstore and o'connors were near the same location and sold out...

PC Superstore didn't sell out, they were forced to shut down due to massive debts.

As for Syco's reccomendation of Richi, He's gone a good while, best guy to talk to is Garth Stevens or Dave Moriarty.

One thing I've found though is the service in all shops is pretty crap, as part of my training for my current job I had to mystery shop the competition some of the I did would also be in competition with Compustore and all the shops I did were crap.

Also last week I went both to Maplin's and Peats to try picking up something and couldn't even get someone to serve me (don't think I smell that bad!!) in Peats alone it took 25 minutes, maplin was quicker at 10 minutes and although they didn't have it they said they could get it in, Peats on the other hand literally needed me to draw them a picture of it was. BTW it was a cable organiser that I needed fairly simple to get you'd think!!! compustore do sell it (I checked by phone) I don't want to buy from them cos it'll take all my lunch break to get up there and I don't exactly get on the big wigs in their head office.

boss wrote:
    *nods*

==========

Bad form by compustore for letting their employees go without giving them a heads up.
    Has anyone seen the Galway store recently? They have nothing new there, I actually bought an old PC in there the other day for cheap (yes I said cheap). But there were no new PC's that I could see in there at all. Are they moving out or something? They have no competition in galway, maplin are not in direct competition with them. They probably are cleaning up in galway. Think of all the first year students going to college, they will all need new laptops and Pc's....

As gillo said, PC Superstore closed down due to debt. They got stuck with a store in a crappy location and no one knew they were there. Mike Enright who ran it did his best, but he didn't really have a chance where he was, especially with Compustore across the way doing their best to match their deals.

As for competition, we actually have a bigger range of PCs/laptops-same brands, just different models-in Currys (when those muppets in head office decide to allocate us stock), but Compustore make most of their money in Galway through service and training contracts afaik than from box sales.

Think you got the wrong end of the, PC Superstore just didn't pay their bills, it wasn't a case of not been able to pay just not wanting pay. They had good shops with great managers.

But somewhere up the chain of command, bill were not been paid. Compustore do the same but pay off at the minute. One of the reasons I decieded to leave; it';s a nightmare trying to cover -up for the fact that your financial controler won't pay the bills and get stock in.

Fernster did I read your post right- do you work for curry's?? (either way know what it's like tryign to get stock allocated- yeah yeah, it's on its way, blah blah....)

• Advertisement

I do. And yeah, our head office/distribution centre are staffed entirely by muppets, as you get told by our sales staff. I'd detail their incomptencies, but I'd probably get sacked. :p

Advertisement