Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compustore in Galway...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ahhh Currys, them of the infamous extended warranties. Just Google for Dixons and or Currys AND Warranty

I did not buy that fridge in Currys , never would TBH :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Muck wrote:
    ahhh Currys, them of the infamous extended warranties. Just Google for Dixons and or Currys AND Warranty

I did not buy that fridge in Currys , never would TBH :)

M

Our warranties are pretty much worthless, imo, except for the likes of laptops. I can't help but shake my head sadly everytime I see someone buy a five-year warranty on a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 computergeek

Seemed to have touched a nerve there....Mmmm...Buzzzz...Click...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you want to see something funny in Compustore in Galway go to the Graphics Card section and look for a "GeForce Annihilator 256" (Geforce 1). It's been there since the dawn of time and every so often the price drops a tiny bit more. Give it another couple of generations of cards and it'll be under €100.

oh yeah......having a name like computergeek, isnt that ironic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Seemed to have touched a nerve there....Mmmm...Buzzzz...Click...

You haven't. I've nothing to do with this thread, I just find your attitude amusing :D

You're banned.

It's been real.

Well ladies,

Enjoy you little fact finding missions. Better hope the FBI/CIA dont find out what you are all up to. Hope world domination goes well for you. But seriously you should try having sex with a women, just once. Its not good for you computer jamming you male member into it everynight. mmmm...buzzz...click

Have we someone venting their own frustrations? :p

Fenster wrote:
    Have we someone venting their own frustrations? :p

Yes you have discovered my secret...
    I am a 89 year old priest....with a fetish for computer hardware. God help me!

Oh ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

computergeek, you really are an idiot of the highest order. If you hadn't noticed, this is a thread about how much of a ripoff Compustore in Galway are, but you seem to take exception to people saying anything disparaging about said shop. It's a simple fact that Compustore are a ripoff, unless you consider €100 for a 4 year old graphics card a good deal. Some people, myself included, find this quite amusing as Compustore shops are closing down all over the country and yet they seem unwilling to do anything about their prices in order to stay in business.
    If anyone needs to get a life here, or even a clue, it's you.

Rather then give you some sort of chance to redeem yourself, I'm just going to ban you now.

If you think this is unfair, I'm not concerned.

You can PM, if you wish to get back in here.

Best
    Typedef

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    computergeek, you really are an idiot of the highest order. If you hadn't noticed, this is a thread about how much of a ripoff Compustore in Galway are, but you seem to take exception to people saying anything disparaging about said shop. It's a simple fact that Compustore are a ripoff, unless you consider €100 for a 4 year old graphics card a good deal. Some people, myself included, find this quite amusing as Compustore shops are closing down all over the country and yet they seem unwilling to do anything about their prices in order to stay in business.

You have really hurt my feelings...I think you should get back to your kitchen utensil script. Buzzz...click......do you like star trek. By the way whats a graphics card?

I'm banning you too.

Same rules apply to you.

I won't tolerate this sort of personal diatribe in anything I have to read.

jor el wrote:

Any by the way there are a number of companies mentioned in this thread. I have been talking about computer outlets in general and sad people who get a kick out of going into a shop with no intention of buying anything and try to catch the staff out or compare prices and have a joke about it. If thats you idea of fun, well what ever floats your boat mate. I am sure all the staff in these shops try to do there best. WHAT do you know about running a shop anyway. Do you work in retail. GET a life. Next time you get the urge go see a film or watch tele. You need a hobby other than being an idiot.
    Why not apply for a job in one of these places so YOU can make a difference. Or are you afraid of real people. Buzzzz...Click......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I don't know what to say, so I'll keep it to topic. So funny eth0_ sparking all that **** :)
    fenster wrote:
    training contracts
    wtf are they? are u thinking of CK, u should know ur competition there mr Curry's!
    I've a feeling I know who u are too.....
    GeForce Annihilator 256
    you and mr superman avatar will be delighted to know that they have fallen in price :P

Thats all :)

Computergeek funny ****er ;)

Buzzzz...Click......

Sniipe wrote:
    wtf are they? are u thinking of CK, u should know ur competition there mr Curry's!
    I've a feeling I know who u are too.....

PM me my name then. :p

And I know about CK. Compustore have their own business place upstairs afaik.

Fenster wrote:
    PM me my name then. :p

And I know about CK. Compustore have their own business place upstairs afaik.

nope. thats a solicitors office.

I don't do PM's to n00bs m8 :eek:

Ahh, so you can't let me know who I am as I'm a newb. That's some...fuzzy logic. So fuzzy in fact that I can't see any. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

<says something provokative>

You both probably missed the whole *banned* part.

Allow me to explain......

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭palance

ok, this thread has gone way off topic. Couple of points:

1. Compustore rips people off but not any more than PcWorld, Curry's, Dixons etc does.

2. Like other computer shops it is designed for the non-nerdy. Staff are trained to speak in simple plain english, the less technical jargon the better.

3. Just buy your stuff online, compustore is not meant for people who read boards.ie (i.e know their sh*t)

3. The only reason you would buy anything in a shop like that is if you were desperate for an ink cartdidge, box of cds, crossover cable etc in a hurry. Sure you're going to get ripped off for it but if you can't wait a week for komplett tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thanks Palance, you've just said what I was hinting but didn't want to say outright.

Computergeek, You've hit the nail right on the head about people coming in with no intention of buying. I used to work in compustore (a different branch mind) and the those people are so obvious. They come in pick a few items and waste your time bitc&ing about it, and quoting their little techy nuggets of info and trying to make themselves so important. The reality was is that you know if someone is gonna buy pretty soon, and no one pays any attention to them you just stand there pretend to be interested and let them gloat in their own little world, maybe you scratch your balls maybe you don't but they just keep on ranting. By the time I finished up in Compustore I knew them cos they came in so often, I always did one of two thing one just ignore them (they are not gonn abuy, they are not giving money to the company = they are not payign my wages) or if I wanted a laugh I'd let them waffle for a few minutes and then start "buzzing of" them.

Yes, Compustore, Dixons, Currys, PC World, Beyond 2000, IT Direct, Maplin, Peats etc etc are more expensive tehn komplett & dabs etc, but incase you hadn't realised they are not internet stores.

Its called the D. U. H. factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

ionapaul wrote:
    Compustore in Galway is a horrific joke, they rarely reduce prices over time...I was in there a few weeks ago (passing time before going to see a movie in the Omniplex, I like a good laugh so I always head into Compustore!) and saw a Radeon 9200 video card for €149.00!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah baby!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can do them for €72 inc VAT. New and with warranty.

kleefarr, ur an idiot! I can get them for cheaper, but thats not the point. The point is Compustore or any of these places are not internet stores and not geared for nerds. The are for no brainers that don't know much about technology but want to get into it.

Palance got it right first time, wp, gg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Sniipe wrote:
    kleefarr, ur an idiot! I can get them for cheaper, but thats not the point. The point is Compustore or any of these places are not internet stores and not geared for nerds. The are for no brainers that don't know much about technology but want to get into it.
    Okay, so that means that charging €149 for a €72 video card isn't really a rip-off?

Actually, no, I'm not really sure that I follow your logic there.

Maybe you mean it's okay to rip off non-nerds?

Or that non-nerds deserve to be ripped off?

No, that doesn't sound right either.

Can you explain it to me again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Kleefor.

As has been stated numerious times and is patently obvious. Compustore is not an internet store. Thats the point.
    Also Mods this is not for trading please take appropiate action on Kleefor for trying to sell his "nicely priced" cards here, especially since he sounds like a trader not an individual trying to sell somethign second hand.

gillo wrote:
    Kleefor.

As has been stated numerious times and is patently obvious. Compustore is not an internet store. Thats the point.
    Also Mods this is not for trading please take appropiate action on Kleefor for trying to sell his "nicely priced" cards here, especially since he sounds like a trader not an individual trying to sell somethign second hand.

Good point! Although I wasn't intentionally trying to sell them. Just making a statement, which had nothing to do with the point anyway. :rolleyes:

Ripwave, u don't deserve a reply for being an ass!

Read the rest of the thread next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

It is amazing Irish people never stop to amaze me, for the past few days people have been bitching about a number of stores in particular Compustore Galway but can I ask one question have any one of you actually gone into Compustore and complained to a manager about their prices...? I imagine not. Irish have this great ability of complaining to te wrong people. No wonder this country is in the state it is in.

People if you think the prices are unacceptable complain either in person or in a letter, e-mail , fax the ways are countless. Same if you think the sevice you are gettiing is unacceptable. How is employer suppose to know it's staff are doing incompetent job if they aren't made aware of it. Maybe if they get feedback like this , a company can progress and make it better for everyone. both for the non-tech people and the tech people

Obviously prices on-line will be cheaper then in a retail shop, that's the nature of the busniess. A retail store has ten times the overheads that a online store has (more staff,rental,adveristing, insurance etc...) But rememeber in retail you are getting an actually person to sell te goods to you and answer any questions you may have. Online/Retail both have advantages and disadvantages.

I'm not justifing anyone overcharging for any product or for receiving any poor customer service.

if any of you ordered something online and recieved the wrong thing or it was faulty. the first you do is e-mail them and let them know

So I ask of everyone of ye that has a problem with a particular store..e-mail them and tell them exactly wha you find wrong with it. Be constuctive with yer critisim. If it doesn't make a difference then we will have all right to complain just try it give it time and see if anything changes

Arrian Alexander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I just tell everybody I know in Galway not to go in there. I therefore assume that 'the market' will ensure that they get the message as to why people are not coming :D

M

Snipe. Thanks for the vote of confidence that you posted in the Reputation section. I'm assuming it was you, as your turn of phrase always sounds so elegant when using the word. "idiot". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

sad people who get a kick out of going into a shop with no intention of buying anything and try to catch the staff out or compare prices

So you think it would be better to pay four times the going rate for what is an antique? I shop around and compare prices. That doesn't make me sad, that makes me more knowledgeable as to who's ripping off punters and who's not. I don't bother asking questions ('cos the staff who work in most computer shops are clueless f*ckwits who actually believe that a four year old gfx card is cutting edge).

Only a serious fool would not compare specs and prices, but hey, Ireland seems to be full of fools who don't check prices these days. That's the only reason I can think of that shops like Compustore/Dixons/Currys/etc are still in business... :rolleyes:

Advertisement