Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pronounce Jorge Luis Borges

Options
  • 20-08-2004 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

I think it's "Bore-zhays" in the American Spanish tradition. In Spain it would be "Bor-hays" wouldn't it?

But my friend 3-D Preacher has this insane idea that it's "Bore-ghay". Hands up who else thinks he's a n ijjit? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Aheh. Thanks, Rredwell, but according to an online article (Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. The URL is http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1141912 ), the PROPER way to pronounce the hallowed Borges name is (and I quote, in a proper snobbish fashion, 'The 'j' is pronounced as an English 'h' while 'g' is pronounced like the 'ch' in Scottish loch. As this can be a difficult sound for some English speakers, an approximate pronunciation of his name is: Hor-hay Lwees Bor-hez.'
    So, Rredwell, this goes some way to prove that you're wrong. Err, both of us wrong, actually... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

'The 'j' is pronounced as an English 'h' while 'g' is pronounced like the 'ch' in Scottish loch. As this can be a difficult sound for some English speakers, an approximate pronunciation of his name is: Hor-hay Lwees Bor-hez.'

Ehem, well, as a native Spanish speaker I can't resist the temptation to point out that actually both the 'j' and 'g' in "Jorge" and "Borges" are pronounced the same way... ;) also closer to "loch" than to "h", but I suppose with the "h" pronunciation you should be all right... Then, of course, if you want to polish it up even more, try to drop the /i/ sound at the end of "hor-hay", last sound must be /e/ as in "pet"... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Speaking of the writer whos name is actually pronounced 'Bor-ges', has anyone read 'labyrinths'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I haven't, but 3-D Preacher has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommiles001

Jorge is pronounced HHAORHHey. There's an mp3 here where you can listen to the pronunciation: http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Jorge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

It's pronounced M A E S T R O. Most people would have been calling him that, I reckon.

It doesn't have any conductor nor indeed automotive connotations in Spanish. Means ultimate craftsman. Devoid of all irony. Very very few people get called that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Jorge Luis Borges = Whore-hay lew-ees Boar-jes

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Have to agree with Martarg on this one...

A speaker from Spain would say "hore-heh loo-ees bore-hehs" (depending on where that speaker hails from in Spain the "h" sound can vary anywhere between a soft "h" and a more gutteral "ch" as in the Scottish loch.)

The South American Spanish speaker would pronounce the J or G much closer to the softer "h" sound as in the English "horse". (G followed by e or i is pronounced the same as a J both in Spain and South America).

Advertisement