Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting films from a library

• 20-08-2004 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

In my never ending quest to reduce the amount of money I spend I was wondering if any of you get movies from a library. If so, which library is best? I'd be especially interested in libraries that stock DVDs. If I get of my ass I'll take a look at the library in the Ilac Centre this weekend but maybe someone can tell me before I go whether the place is any good or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

The Ilac has an ok selection of videos if you're looking for old movies. They have a good selection of Hitchcock movies(the carlton collection I think). They have the obvious old movies too like Casablanca , Dr Zhivago, Gone With the Wind etc. I think they have a couple of Kurosawa movies too ( I got Throne of Blood there) and a couple of Spielberg movies(The Color Purple and Schindlers List I think). Apart from that they haven't got much and if you're looking for new or even recent movies you're out of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

No, it's the old ones I'm interested in. Especially foreign old ones - Bergman, Kurosawa, Renoir.....

Thanks for the info about the Ilac. I didn't get around to going there today. Do they stock DVDs at all, or is it just video tapes? Those video tapes might be a little worn by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ilac definetly has Bergmann as I remember getting out Såsom i en spegel and
    Sjunde inseglet myself once!

The Bergman stuff was on VHS but I also got out All About Eve too and that was on DVD. All played fine even the video stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

if anyone goes to dcu they have a decent selection of western and foreign films in the library.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    if anyone goes to dcu they have a decent selection of western and foreign films in the library.

Hey I'm going to DCU this year. Are the films available to people in any course or just media studies or something?

Anyway about dvds in the Ilac, it's mostly just videos, they have around 5 dvds. All the videos I've taken out have been fine though. The library in Cabra have an ok selection of videos too. Same sort of stuff really, but they have a couple of Kurosawas that Ilac haven't got and so on (I got Rashomon there, which the Ilac haven't got)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

scoey wrote:
    Hey I'm going to DCU this year. Are the films available to people in any course or just media studies or something?

Anyway about dvds in the Ilac, it's mostly just videos, they have around 5 dvds. All the videos I've taken out have been fine though. The library in Cabra have an ok selection of videos too. Same sort of stuff really, but they have a couple of Kurosawas that Ilac haven't got and so on (I got Rashomon there, which the Ilac haven't got)

Any dcu student can rent dvds out in the dcu library, they have loads
    and seem to get in new ones every time i go there, alot of new ones too
    they have tv series as well, pretty class

iasc wrote:
    Any dcu student can rent dvds out in the dcu library, they have loads
    and seem to get in new ones every time i go there, alot of new ones too
    they have tv series as well, pretty class

Sounds great :D Also, is it a bad thing that I'm now looking forward to visiting this library to get some dvds more than I'm looking forward to going to the college to do my course? ;)

Advertisement