Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!

• 20-08-2004 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I know there is probably links to check out ,but i just want a bit of advice from a person.One guy keeps giving me dead arms and putting me on the ground ,,,kinda joking around ...what can i do to over power him a bit ...like some nice moves or ??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

For a guy whos name means man of steel, thats pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Come down training with us, after a few months you'll be a badass!

Better yet, bring your friend down too. You'll both feel pretty humble after a training session. And if your mates being a real jerk, we'll rough him up for ya ;)

Colm "Defender of the Weak" O'Reilly

P.S. Mick, you're a jerk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Try a bit of judo, u'll never be put on the ground again (off the mat).

I had similar trouble a few years in school. Not the reason I joined judo by any means. Did it for a few months and then over the summer and found I had a talent for it. When September came around again he started his usual thing. I quickly slammed him on his back which knocked the wind out of him. Great fun!

Judo works well against people because you learn to throw people who are trying their best not to be thrown. Resisting opponents.

If his pride can't take it and it gets too serious you can just choke him out, heheh.. Never done that off the mat though.

One for those arrogant b*stards out there is to follow the take down with an armbar. They HAVE TO submit you see so you can make them say what you want.
    Just this summer in college, arrogant bloke who knows me bet me he'd beat me in a wrestle. This is the kind of fella who will never admit to losing or being wrong. He tried a wwe stunner or something on me, bam on his back and straight into an arm-bar (juji-gatami). I couldn't believe I had to hold him there for about 45 mins before he'd submit (after much screaming and people telling him not to be stupid). He needed to be taken down a notch though. You can snap their arm from that position if you raise your hips and when you raise them slightly its very painful on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

apexaviour wrote:
    Just this summer in college, arrogant bloke who knows me bet me he'd beat me in a wrestle. This is the kind of fella who will never admit to losing or being wrong. He tried a wwe stunner or something on me, bam on his back and straight into an arm-bar (juji-gatami). I couldn't believe I had to hold him there for about 45 mins before he'd submit (after much screaming and people telling him not to be stupid). He needed to be taken down a notch though. You can snap their arm from that position if you raise your hips and when you raise them slightly its very painful on them.

rofl... man u coulda put him out quicker than 45 with a juji-gatami lol.. shuda made him cry he he..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think this is really a confidence issue rather than anything else. This fella is probably doing this because you come across as an easy target. Give him a couple of jabs back and I'm pretty sure after a few days, he will leave you alone and move onto someone else.

If you really want to defend yourself, take up brazilian jiu-jitsu and a bit of muay thai. It will help build up your confidence and to be honest, that's all you really need to rid these sort of people from hitting you.

• Advertisement

Ah here dlofnep... I don't think its as serious as that, he doesn't want to give the chap a black eye. The chap is only (and jokingly) giving him dead arms and putting him on the ground, kiddie stuff for christs sake.. He's obviously feeling a bit belittled and wants to take this bloke down a notch.
    Yeah it's confidence, but confidence always stems from somewhere, he probably couldn't take this chap down too easily at the mo'. Take up Maui thai and BJJ if you wanna jump in the octagon and go down that MMA road, or if your training for some serious street fights. Otherwise I doubt it's for you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Take up Maui thai and BJJ if you wanna jump in the octagon and go down that MMA road, or if your training for some serious street fights. Otherwise I doubt it's for you..
    I dont think thats a very realistic statement. 90% of people that train MMA, BJJ or Muay Thai arent interested in going into an octagon or training for serious street fights as you put it. They train for fun, fitness and self defence all things that a good MMA, BJJ or Thai school can offer. I think there tends to be a cliched view that all MMA people are cage-fighters or guys who start (or finish) street fights. MMA people tend to be ultra-chilled and very uninterested in fights.

I would say go for a grappling art so you can take his back and make him tap. Forget armbars. A nice rear naked choke is the funniest and safest way of sorting your mate out.

Thats a little unfair, out of almost a hundred people who i train with, only five or six actively compete in full vale tudo competition.

****, now we look like mind sharing gyppos.No wonder no one on the internet likes MMA guys.

apexaviour wrote:
    Ah here dlofnep... I don't think its as serious as that, he doesn't want to give the chap a black eye. The chap is only (and jokingly) giving him dead arms and putting him on the ground, kiddie stuff for christs sake.. He's obviously feeling a bit belittled and wants to take this bloke down a notch.
    Yeah it's confidence, but confidence always stems from somewhere, he probably couldn't take this chap down too easily at the mo'. Take up Maui thai and BJJ if you wanna jump in the octagon and go down that MMA road, or if your training for some serious street fights. Otherwise I doubt it's for you..

It's nothing to do with going down any MMA road at all bud. It's about having confidence in your ability to defend yourself. If you don't think you can defend yourself then you will just sit and take it. It's just human nature.

If he trains in arts that are effective then he will have the confidence to put them into use. This isn't only about this one guy, I'm sure this is in general. Anyone who hits someone is a bully - let's be honest with ourself.

I understand that he doesn't want to go around and knock people out with knees, but it's really just to give him the confidence in his ability to defend himself. Nobody will go near anyone with confidence.. Have a little think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

name those 100 people .............!!!! :D

and by the way stalin when somebody does that to you its called assault
    ( section 2 assault actually !)

1...vasch_ro
    2...WeeMan
    3...Dunkamania
    etc etc.

need I continue :D

****, now we look like mind sharing gyppos.No wonder no one on the internet likes MMA guys.

Haha yeah yis do. Ok ok I take back some of the vehemence with which I pushed my argument. I believe yis. I used to train in some mma but I am more than likely marred by bad experiences. The chap I trained under was a bit of a cowboy, it was more like fight-club. I stopped going when he said he was going to take us out and we were to get some poor scumbag to start a fight with us and well.. pummel him. Not funny, and not a word of a lie.

Haha yeah yis do. Ok ok I take back some of the vehemence with which I pushed my argument. I believe yis. I used to train in some mma but I am more than likely marred by bad experiences. The chap I trained under was a bit of a cowboy, it was more like fight-club. I stopped going when he said he was going to take us out and we were to get some poor scumbag to start a fight with us and well.. pummel him. Not funny, and not a word of a lie.

Man. Sounds like he needs councilling. Do you mind if I ask you where this place was? Just so I know about people like this! PM me if youd rather not say on the forum.

apexaviour wrote:

That's pretty disgraceful.

I pm'd columok, I really don't wanna post the chaps details on these boards.

John has nearly eighty people in his gym these days i reckon, add that to 10 from two kings and lets say 10-15 from ucd and its not far off. Thats not counting loughlinstown, pbs etc.

Cheers Apexaviour.

At least, I take it, hes not still floating around. The less of those kinds of angry weirdo people the better.

vasch_ro

Isn't that battery? assault being the threat of battery?

apexaviour,

Where do you train your Judo now? From the Judo clubs I've experience and Judoka I've met and trained with not a lot seem to practice much ground game, they seem more geared to throwing.

Thanks,
    Colm

• Advertisement

Currently because college isn't on I'm training in Phoenix judo club in ballyfermot. They are not a very competitive club, but they actually do mostly ground work and little actual standup. Phoenix club gives me a real chance to work on technique while college is out. I get all the competitiveness I need in college (TCD), all 18-24 y/o's haha.

Judo by nature is mostly a clinch/takedown sport, and in my college that is very much the case. DIT now (or anywhere else where alan martin coaches) do a good mix of standup and ground, they also have very good funding and a lot of players.

no colm i am afraid its assault
    the term battery is not used here in the republic any longer

sec 2 is assault
    sec 3 is assault causing harm

how was the wrestling ..................

vasch_ro,

Thanks! So what's a section 1?

The wrestling was frickin sweet. Freestyle is a lot more spectator friendly because of it's faster pace but I love the Greco because of the sheer difficulty to get anywhere in it.

apexaviour,
    That sounds cool(even if you are a Trinners head ;) ) Thanks a take care man.

Peace Out,
    Colm

Advertisement