Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GalwayWAN sticky

• 21-08-2004 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Many people have been asking me about galwayWAN recently, so I thought I'd put all the info into one post.

What is it?

The GalwayWAN is a Wide Area Network based around county Galway, it is basically hobbyists who connect up their pc's to game, communicate and learn. It can also be used as a method of accessing the internet (via someone elses shared connection) if you can't get broadband, but that isn't it's primary goal. You can visit the galwayWAN boards here: http://www.irishwan.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Currently the GalwayWAN is linked up with ClareWAN and LimerickWAN, this means that we have 11mbit speeds across the wan (tho pings get worse the further you go, the worst on the wan right now, is 40 ms). Before christmas, Dublin, Waterford and Kildare will be connected up, this means major gaming sessions and generally cool. Imagine having a 10 mbit LAN with over 500 people, how can that not own?!?!

How much does it cost?

The prices involved are only the cost of setting up your node, you can either be a client or full member node. Client's have full access to the network, but no one can connect to them. Full member node's are where it's at, if you are a full member node, people from ranges of up to 5 miles around you (depending on LOS) can connect into the network through you. A good guide loooking at prices, and general WAN info, is available here : http://www.skynet.ie/%7Estephen/wireless/faqs.html

Can I connect in Galway now?

Yes. Depending on where you are, there are nodes available covering most of the city and it's suburbs. Tonabrooky is the easiest to see, it's become overloaded now there are so many on it, but it will be upgraded to more antenna's soon. The major nodes are listed on www.galwaywan.org , but if you can't find any, ask on the board.

if you visit the above site you may notice that there are also hotspots listed, this means you can WAN on high street if you have a laptop with a wireless card equiped, for free.

Is there much of a future in this?

Well, that's up to you. The initial capital cost is small compared to be benefits and it's lifespan will be determined by those hobbyists actually involved in the project.

The future plans for the wan is linking thousands of people up over a free network permanently, all over Ireland, gaming, file sharing, and sharing big net connections, all paying a percentage of the bill.

Hope I've enlightened you.

quetzal

Edited for clarity and moral fibre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement