Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal First

• 21-08-2004 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

After over a year of Fantasy novels I've finally picked up a Sci/Fi that didn't have the name of Douglas Adams or Red Dwarf scrawled over the top of it. :eek:

To be quite honest I wasn't too sure I'd like the Sci/Fi genre too much but I'm actually quite enjoying it. BTW the book is The War of the Flowers.

So I was just wondering if anyone could give me any titles to read for a newbie to the genre?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well, slightly dated but still well written , the Robot Series by Issac Asimov.
    BTW - whilst "War of the flowers" by Tad Williams was a good read: it would be classed as fantasy I would have thought - Elves and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I found Orson Scott Cards novels enjoyable. Ender's Game is probably his best. The rest of the books in the Ender series are good but quite heavy going. His standalone novel Songmaster was good aswell I thought.

If you're going to stick to the fantasy vein aswell make sure you check out George RR Martins, A Song Of Ice And Fire series if you havn't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

Raz wrote:
    I found Orson Scott Cards novels enjoyable. Ender's Game is probably his best. The rest of the books in the Ender series are good but quite heavy going. His standalone novel Songmaster was good aswell I thought.

If you're going to stick to the fantasy vein aswell make sure you check out George RR Martins, A Song Of Ice And Fire series if you havn't already.

I'm quite a way through 'Clash of Kings at the moment'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Then I'm sure you know why I recommended it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement