Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prank on Larry Gogan?

• 21-08-2004 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

This may seem a little childish and I KNOW there are already loads of threads about pranks.

But yesterday I was kind of half-listening to Larry Gogan's radio programme on 2FM. And he read out a few requests....

The one that caught my attention was dedicated to "Hugh G. Rection who is recovering from a big operation. From all your work-mates in Siemens :D especially your good friend Ulich McGee"

:D

The way he read it out sounded like it didn't register what he was saying.

Anyway I laughed and thought I'd share it with ye.

Anyone else hear it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

didnt hear it wish i did people should start sending in more... very funny! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Roflmao! :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

how the fu<k didnt he cope it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Okie wrote:
    The way he read it out sounded like it didn't register what he was saying.

He hasn't got clue what going on half the time, if you ask me.

I haven't heard him in years, but I always got the feeling that he was just going through the motions and music to him started getting weird round about 1986.

Hugh G Rection - ha, class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Lol I heard this too! It definatly sounded like he hadnt a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You have to hand it to him, Alzheimer's has had no effect at all on his presenting style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Try it on Ian Dempsey. I've heard Gogan mention that scripted radio is great for beginners as it gives them a sense of structure when they're presenting whereas apparently Dempsey can't work without one. Get into the habit of reading what's put in front of you and you'll probably read anything you can pronounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I do wonder about Gogan tbh.

I read in an interview once that he actually goes to the shops and buys on average around 10 CD's per week out of his own skyrocket. Now, maybe I've been blagging for too long but considering he IS a well known DJ you'd really have to wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well music is his life so I presume he has a massive collection. He's been on the go a long time and knows the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

John R wrote:
    You have to hand it to him,

definitely. theres no way he'd find it himself. badum bum tish

• Advertisement

Would he know what to do with it? Make music I suppose! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Does anyone have a recording of that?
    Unlikely I suppose :(

Highly unlikely and Larry himself would be unlikely to want it getting out and being heard again. A real Moe and Bart Simpson type joke.

By law RTE have to record all broadcasts and keep them for a certain amount of time, you could lodge a complaint about the offensive language and demand a copy of the broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Flukey wrote:
    Well music is his life so I presume he has a massive collection. He's been on the go a long time and knows the game.

He sure does have a massive collection... I remember watching a TV programme about him and he has a garage the size of house out in his back garden to store all his music... there were literally thousands of CD's.. it was crazy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would love to have that garage

He sure does have a massive collection... I remember watching a TV programme about him and he has a garage the size of house out in his back garden to store all his music... there were literally thousands of CD's.. it was crazy....
    Would he not just get a PC with a few large harddrives?
    He'd get the rest of his house back and he'd find his music faster, a win-win situation. :p

SantaHoe wrote:
    Would he not just get a PC with a few large harddrives?
    He'd get the rest of his house back and he'd find his music faster, a win-win situation. :p

I'd say he would be dead long before he managed to rip them all.

There is something special about having the old records on vinyl. Any major collector of Larry's era, will have a lot of them. They are valuable to them. He could store a lot on CD and Computers, but the physical items, even those old crackly records are special too. He won't want to ever get rid of them.

Yeah my Dad is like that, hundreds of albums on vinyl, droors of casettes, stacks of CDs... can never find anything.
    I'll have to sort him out with one of those mp3 decks that hook up to the rest of your sound system.

I'm sure it'd take Larry Gogan years doing it alone, but he could probably afford to hire a team of experienced guys to do it over the course of a few weeks.

It's nice to have the originals, but not if they take up whole rooms of your house!
    Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flukey wrote:
    There is something special about having the old records on vinyl. Any major collector of Larry's era, will have a lot of them. They are valuable to them. He could store a lot on CD and Computers, but the physical items, even those old crackly records are special too. He won't want to ever get rid of them.
    Vinyl played on analogue (tubes, not chips) equipment has a better sound than digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Flukey wrote:

yeah larry is old school...

I dont have many records, most of them are in my parents home where there is a record player, but there is just something about the crackly sound from them... sounds great...

Advertisement