Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving License/Test

Options
  • 21-08-2004 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm on my second provisional at the moment and have never taken the test. My license expires in february and i remember the woman in the tax office saying i cant get a third untill i have a date for my test. Does that mean because the waiting list is 13 months in my area i wont be able to drive for about 10 months next year? Can i just tell them i've applied for it...now give me another license??

Thanks

Vip

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NO it means what she said it means! You can't get a 3rd provisional until you have a date set for your test. Once you have the date booked (the actual date booked may be in 2006 but you recieve the notice of it in a few weeks), and your 2nd is finished then they will issue you a 3rd provisional.
    Given that it can take a while to get a date back from the DoE, you are better off getting it sorted now rather than panicking in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I think once you've applied for the test and can prove it, you'll be ok. There's still no excuse though for driving around for almost 4 years without even attempting the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

I'm on my second provisional at the moment and have never taken the test. My license expires in february and i remember the woman in the tax office saying i cant get a third untill i have a date for my test. Does that mean because the waiting list is 13 months in my area i wont be able to drive for about 10 months next year? Can i just tell them i've applied for it...now give me another license??

Thanks

Vip

advice I'd give ya is to get a letter off your job sayin you'll accept cancellations etc and you'll get a test early!!

and why aint ya done a test by now??? even if you'd done one and failed at least you know where you need to brush up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't forget that you're supposed to be accompanied again when you're on your third and subsequent provisional licences (yes I know so many ignore it but it's another reason to get off your ass and actually do and pass the test)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Allegedly the tax office will allow you now to get a third provisional if you just have the confirmation of receipt letter from the DOE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

DOE, sounds so British!!

not that theres anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always wondered why the dept of the environment sorted out licences and tests, and not the Dept of transport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The department of transport is quite new, transport has bounced around other departments in the past AFAIR.

Advertisement