Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helip

Options
  • 21-08-2004 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

ok here's the problem. i'm mediocre with html but currently im working on my mates bands website... im using a java menu i got on some site ages ago and an iframe which i was planning on having those links open in, but i cant find where to put the target for the links into the java bit?

ADDRESS REMOVED CUZ YIZ ARE WEIRDOS

maybe someone with better knowledge of these things could take a look at the source and help me out

it would be greatlllllly appreciated cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

First off... Thats Javascript, not Java.

Second, wheres the benefit of using an iframe? Why not just let the page open properly, and have the Javascript on each page? To make things easier, write the script into a seperate text file and import it into each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

oh well im SOREEEEEEEE but note how i dont know **** all about it which is why im asking in the first place :mad:

and i think it looks much neater with an iframe tbh...but if all else fails i have no choice

First off... Thats Javascript, not Java.

Second, wheres the benefit of using an iframe? Why not just let the page open properly, and have the Javascript on each page? To make things easier, write the script into a seperate text file and import it into each one.

sorry i snapped rofl

Neater with an iframe? Sorry, but no...

What you're effectively doing is laying out the site for one resolution only, and I'm guessing thats 800*600. People on higher resolutions are going to leave your site immediatly (I know I would), because everything will be crammed into an iframe in the top of the screen, with nothing but a lot of pointless blackspace everywhere else. Not only that, but if the page is bigger than the iframe they'll have to scroll. Not only does this look terrible, but its incredibly wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Firstly, I don't see any menu on FF 0.9.1 WinXP/SP2.

Secondly, you should be using window.parent.location=XYZ and not location=XYZ, for the IE code, and add the attribute target="_parent" to the netscape code's <a href>. The code is at the 1st and 2nd of the for loop after the menu item declaration (line 118 in source, for me).

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    and add the attribute target="_parent" to the netscape code's <a href>. The code is at the 1st and 2nd of the for loop after the menu item declaration (line 118 in source, for me).

Thats not what he's trying to do... Its what I'm trying to talk him around to, but not what he's trying to do.

:confused:

uhmm ok thanks for your help but i think ill just leave it
    PARTIALLY because i havent got a ****in clue what yiz are talkin about and second of all , yiz are gettin bitchy over nothing and are arrogant ****s :D

and i'm a lady

:confused:

uhmm ok thanks for your help but i think ill just leave it
    PARTIALLY because i havent got a ****in clue what yiz are talkin about

Fine, if you like.
    and second of all , yiz are gettin bitchy over nothing and are arrogant ****s :D

Well, if thats going to be your attitude, then please tell your friend to get someone who can take advice and critisism to do the work for them, as you obviously have neither the inclination nor the means to get anything meaningful done for them.
    and i'm a lady

Whats that supposed to be? An excuse for not trying? Oh, and
    no you most certainly are not.

Thats not what he's trying to do...
    How is it not? S/he wants to change the target of the links in the menu JS, no? If so, then what's wrong with my solution?

.cg

PARTIALLY because i havent got a ****in clue what yiz are talkin

What part? I gave you the line number of the HTML source, so that you could change it. I see you've just used regualar text now anyway. (the URL is http://www.freewebs.com/ifreann90/ if anyone is wondering what we're talking about).
    yiz are gettin bitchy over nothing and are arrogant ****s
    How? And who's the arrogant one here? Of the 3 posters thus far, you certainly come across as arrogant one here.
    and i'm a lady
    LOL, even if you are, you're a poor excuse for one, you muppet.

.cg

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    How is it not? S/he wants to change the target of the links in the menu JS, no? If so, then what's wrong with my solution?

.cg
    The problem I had with your solution was that you were instructing her to point the new page toward the browser windows, as opposed to the iframe "X" which is what she wanted to do. DOing what you say would have rendered the new page in the same window, taking up all space, and the Javascript navigation bar would disappear, locking the user into the page they are on, having to jump back to the last page to go anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

jesus h christ this is the worst thread ive ever seen on boards. everyone who replied should be ashamed. Someone asks for help and gets smart alecy replies from stuck up nobodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I love how they get upset when you criticise their hideous websites. (Yes, I know mine is rather apalling too...)

well show me one of youe hideous websites and ill give it a good criticizin too, mmkay?

Deadwing wrote:
    well show me one of youe hideous websites and ill give it a good criticizin too, mmkay?

You're all right :)

rsynnott wrote:
    I love how they get upset when you criticise their hideous websites. (Yes, I know mine is rather apalling too...)

eh sorry who said i got upset at all at all, i just got pissed off with some of the tossers. i immediately regretted posting to be honest because i realised the kind of benders that would reply.

just . like. you.

besides that was about a year ago, you think this would have been let go by now?

besides that was about a year ago, you think this would have been let go by now?

Wow, so it was. Someone dragged it back from the dead and I didn't notice (oops).

cgarvey wrote:
    What part? I gave you the line number of the HTML source, so that you could change it. I see you've just used regualar text now anyway. (the URL is http://www.freewebs.com/ifreann90/ if anyone is wondering what we're talking about).

How? And who's the arrogant one here? Of the 3 posters thus far, you certainly come across as arrogant one here.

LOL, even if you are, you're a poor excuse for one, you muppet.

.cg

yeah well done i completely didnt mean you, that other know it all tosser is who i was talking about. you were actually kind of nice , and helpful, even though i didnt use anyones ideas at all at all. im not a lady?
    prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Deadwing wrote:
    jesus h christ this is the worst thread ive ever seen on boards. everyone who replied should be ashamed. Someone asks for help and gets smart alecy replies from stuck up nobodies.

Were you just thrawling for "the worst thread you ever saw". Almost a year since the last post on this thread. Well played!

oldposts.jpg

Good to see you have not changed in the past year razorfeather - kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Very bold Deadwing.

• Advertisement

Were you just thrawling for "the worst thread you ever saw". Almost a year since the last post on this thread. Well played!

oldposts.jpg

thats exactly what i did! it was a slow night... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Why has this thread been resurrected from the dead, would anyone like to inform us?

oldposts.jpg

yeah, i have not changed at all. not one bit. well done you spa.

aww did you make that 'digging up old thread' card yourself?
    spa. spaspaspa.
    ...late at night, glowing in front of your computer

Hmm, you're the rudest person I've seen on this in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

you spa.

5 entries found for spa.
    spa Audio pronunciation of "spa" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spä)
    n.

1. A resort providing therapeutic baths.
    2. A resort area having mineral springs.
    3. A fashionable hotel or resort.
    4. A health spa.
    5. A tub for relaxation or invigoration, usually including a device for raising whirlpools in the water.
    6. Eastern New England. See soda fountain.

You're not making any sense razorfeather - please qualify the SPA remark using the above information picking options 1 thru 6.
    up late at night

Yes, an amazing 30 odd minutes after your post. Imagine that.
    glowing in front of your computer

Glowing? Did you mean that the monitor is the only source of illumination in the room given the darkness during the wee hours. Or did you mean that I have the effect of a "glowing" pregnant woman. Or perhaps you think I am glowing due to radiation?

/bait

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement