Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database of contractors

Options
  • 21-08-2004 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a PHP script (other suggestions welcome) that i could use and set up to allow potential sub contractors to add themselves to my list, that they are available for work, what their speciality is and upload image samples of work. I then would have the ability to rate them or discard any non runners.
    this would all have to be secure and for my access only.

Are we talking a custom application here?

And is it stupid to have such an app online holding peoples details?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It sounds like a custom application to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

As JustHalf pointed out, you're probably looking at a custom app, to ensure that it does everything YOU want.

However, with regard to this:
    Figment wrote:
    And is it stupid to have such an app online holding peoples details?

While it's not stupid you need to ensure 2 things:

1) It's secure, totally... You need to be the only person that can get at their data, a) because it's just plain wrong to have it any other way, and b) because of reason 2.

2) You read and understand the Data Protection regulations related to this. Very briefly to give just one potential problem - you hold data on me as a contractor on computer and you have a rating system for contractors (which I know because I read this post, and it's in your privacy policy anyway). I'm rated as a waste of space. I go 'Gimmie a look at the data held on me. a) You go 'No'. I take you to court and bitch-slap your sorry ass to bankruptcy. b) You say 'sure', I go - 'So I'm a waster am I?', call round one night and do your car windows in.

So it may not be worth the hassle.

[Sorry about the tangent... just in one of those humours....]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Good point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stepheno

Does anyone know of a PHP script (other suggestions welcome) that i could use and set up to allow potential sub contractors to add themselves to my list, that they are available for work, what their speciality is and upload image samples of work. I then would have the ability to rate them or discard any non runners.
    this would all have to be secure and for my access only.

Not sure if you'd get a ready made one, but I'd say you'd get a Perl/PHP programmer to do it for less than €125.

I know of a few who'd do it, if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Does this need to be accessible online?

Why does it need to be PHP? Could MS Access be used?

Not sure if it can handle the security but Indexu from Nicecoder.com might provide some of what you are looking for.

• Advertisement

It does not have to be online or PHP.
    MS Access would be good, i could use that locally couldnt i?

Indexu looks like overkill.

Advertisement