Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing XP on single S-ATA drive

Options
  • 21-08-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi,

doing my first pc build for years - its all based around this upgrade kit from komplett - amd64 3000 on a MSI K8N NEO motherboard.

To that i've added more ram, an x800 vid card, audigy2 sound card...and an S-ATA Seagate 200gig hd.

anyway, it all POSTS fine. So I want to have the SATA drive as the boot drive. So i've got my old IDE drive in there switched off for the mo, and the SATA drive is detected in the RAID bios.

As far as I understand, i boot the xp install cd, press F6 to install SCSI/third party drivers etc. and then give it the VT8237 chipset driver.

Problem is, when I give it the driver the following error comes up:

File TXTSETUP.OEM caused an unexpected error (1024) at Line 1742 in d:/xpclient/base/boot/setup/oemdisk.c

That error occured with the chipset floppy that came with the mobo So I went to the VIA chipset site, got the latest drivers for the SATA southbridge thing and tried it with a diff floppy disk...same error.

The only thing I haven't tried is a different floppy disk drive, as this wud be a bit of a problem to source one. Has anyone any thoughts on this? There are lots of google results for that error, but i didn't find one relating to my chipset. I'm a bit lost to be honest, I'm not ok with all this s-ata stuff. Really appreciate advice. Seems a waste of the x800 if all it gets to display is the blue xp setup screen. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aye i had that same problem with mine,i diodnt copy all the correct sata drivers onto the floppy.If the sata drivers are zipped,unzip them to your pc and the should be a folder called DriverDisk, just copy the contents of the folder to the floppy.

http://hazelhatch.dyndns.org/mods/sata.jpg

:D
    CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Yep thats exactly the files I copied. (Contents of driverdisk) Just double checked it there too.

Still gives the

File TXTSETUP.OEM caused an unexpected error (1024) at Line 1742 in d:/xpclient/base/boot/setup/oemdisk.c

error. so frustrating! Hopefully getting another floppy disk drive to check soon.

update: it was the floppy disk drive, replaced it + cable, loaded the drivers ok xp now installing thank christ. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

Why in this day and age do we still have to use floopy drives for things like this? Wake up Microsoft its the year 2004 :rolleyes:

yeh its unbelievable. i had no intention of even adding a fdd, i'd completely forgot about them since the days of zip drives, broadband, cd/dvd burners...its a complete sham. everything was going fine, then suddenly there's me having to fiddle about with a 4 year old fdd to try and get this brand new stonking beast of a machine working. its just nuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement