Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers

Options
  • 21-08-2004 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

So...

I'm hopin to be accepted to study Pure Philosophy in Milltown 04/05, exactly what can you do with a career in Philosophy?
    I'm especially interested in education, but any general info at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I heard Mc Donnalds is where most philosophers end up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I was thinking about studying Phil, I did a bit of it in my course last year and liked it a lot. As for jobs there's loads of stuff you could so: Financial Services, Solicitor (Blackhall Place) Barrister (Kings' Inns), Retail, Politics, Lecturing,...

Some will require further study but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Georgiana

I'd say you will probably need further qualifications if you want a professional career. Its a case of balancing your interest in philosophy with practical considerations regarding job opportunities. A H Dip and/or M Ed would not go astray if you are interested in educaton. If you are interested in primary education you can do a primary teaching degree online, which is now recognised by the Dept of Education - I think its with "Ashfield College".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

I did a BA phil, 2 years ago...

I think that it was plain enough to me that having a degree in philosophy is like having a degree in an open mind/ a degree in analytical thinking...

there is definitely only one direct route to continue philosophy, that is to teach it...

Something that should be considered is that the degree should be done for its own sake. If you think of it this way you would probably get the most out of it, rather than thinking of this as procrastinating about the rest of your life, my advice would be to use the time to evaluate issues of quality and worth in your potential career options, as a parallel development to enjoying philosophy for its own rewards.

Further qualifications will always be of value, but in the grounding of philosophy your ability to understand concepts and theoretical issues, will prove itself to be an invaluable asset.

I did a masters in music technology, understanding Accoustics & High grade maths/physics/computer science, quickly, comes from being able to grasp the core thoeries.

Sorry if this is a long rant... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kappar wrote:
    ...Politics...

Some will require further study but well worth it.

How do Politicos work round the logical and ethical aspects of phil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

That's a fairly broad range of qualifications Brenner. What do you do now (work as), if you don't mind me asking?

working in sound for film...

politicians may read various case studies about issues of Drug legalisation, Euthenasia, Abortion etc. usually ones that involve new precedents being formed on the topics, if a politician has studied practical ethics they would come across these issues...

there are a lot that don't decide anything to do with these issues, and don't really need to be well-up on the current ethical point of view because they just support their own beliefs... how does anyone make up their mind about something like that, some infor themselves, some just decide: thats the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Oddly just here on my first day in Milltown waiting to register and figured I may as well pop by the philosophy forum. Dunno but I don't really consider the whole career side of things atm. Philosophy isn't about careers, it's about learning and thinking. Anyone interested in philosophy should realise that a degree in it means you can think clearly and openly, have a strong grasp of logic, and a general love of knowledge. And what employer could turn down THAT? Unfortunately most people these days AREN'T interested in philosophy so, tbh, career wise you're just buggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Brian33

Well, I'm not all that career-oriented...obviously not, I suppose, or I would've been asking this question before I'd decided to come study Philosophy.

Thanks for all the replies!

See ya in class Sippa!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement