Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP users, have you checked Windows Update recently?

Options
  • 21-08-2004 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'd like to get any feedback from Windows XP users about the new version of Windows Update (http://V5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com) that you are seeing when you connect to Windows Update.

Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, problems, annoyances or anything you'd like to say about it is greatly appreciated.

Please post your reposnses in this thread.

Cheers,

Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Where is the catalogue option gone?

I like downloading them then running them.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

why does it have ln=en-us in the address bar when all my regional settings are sen to en_IE?

KdjaC wrote:
    Where is the catalogue option gone?

I like downloading them then running them.

kdjac
    Its in Administrator options, under "Other Options"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Maxheadroom, All English locales use EN-US because there is no difference between the English used. Ok - there may be spelling differences between EN-US & EN-IE, but that has never been taken into account with Windows.

So to answer your question, EN-US == EN-IE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Haven't used the website, just the control panel applet in Windows 2000. (which pushed about 50mb of updates down to me after i built a machine this morning and installed sp4)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.
    pfff

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

Heres one suggestion why doesn't Bill allow other browsers like Firefox access to the windows update site? Thought they might of changed it in this new version. Looks like he is trying to force internet explorer down peoples throats. :(

Windows Update has never supported any other browser other than IE.

Sorry SantaHoe...

Now, to be fair, something like windowsupdate is going to have a large customer side component, and, for better or worse, the best browser for running custom software on the customer's machine is IE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why is it with me that the updates download at normal 7.5k (64k isdn)

then take about 30minutes to install?

• Advertisement

Cr3m0, the download will always be pretty fast...but install can take a while because the installer does a lot of pre-install work (inventoring your system, backing up current files, installing new version of file, checking services etc)...and each update does this. So multiple updates will take a little time to install.

Maxheadroom, All English locales use EN-US because there is no difference between the English used. Ok - there may be spelling differences between EN-US & EN-IE, but that has never been taken into account with Windows.

So to answer your question, EN-US == EN-IE
    Thanks for the info - I'd assumed there might be some slight customization for europe vs US, but I suppose it wouldn't really be worthwhile.

Well, as far as the OS goes, there's nothing different between the US English version and the European English locales. Ultimately, most updates on WU are core fixes, and are language independent.

Also, driver updates are 'driver updates' so it doesn't matter what locale the OS is setup for, these driver updates will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cr3m0, the download will always be pretty fast...but install can take a while because the installer does a lot of pre-install work (inventoring your system, backing up current files, installing new version of file, checking services etc)...and each update does this. So multiple updates will take a little time to install.

well at least if it's not just happening to me i suppose it's okay

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hi, I'd like to get any feedback from Windows XP users about the new version of Windows Update (http://V5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com) that you are seeing when you connect to Windows Update.

Any comments, criticisms, suggestions, problems, annoyances or anything you'd like to say about it is greatly appreciated.

Please post your reposnses in this thread.

Cheers,

Colm

Yeah its cool... howver I did a W2k -> W2k03 course last week and it droned on abot software update services (SUS) and I thought how arrogant it was for a company to imply it was to our benefit it was to apply their patches....just to keeep going.... Mr Gates seems to think that we are all but beta testers for his products....in Cork he'd be known as a lange*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Its in Administrator options, under "Other Options"
    It's in the grey bar running across the top as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Why is it that all of the "driver updates" on WU are ridiculously out of date?

Also, I second the web browser comments. IE is a piece of crap, and the best way to fill your system with malware.

Dun wrote:
    It's in the grey bar running across the top as well.
    When I clicked there it tried to sell me stuff (redirects here.)

And while I agree that IE is a less than optimum browser, there's only two technologies that you could use for this kind of system - ActiveX and Java. Which one do you think MS have more experience with? With the activeX solution they can engineer the entire solution, from activeX control to the OS routines it will interact with, to the server backend that the site runs off. They wouldn't have nearly the same level of control or flexibility with a java implementation.

Like I said above, IE is the best browser for running a custom app on the target machine. For better or worse.

(And, all the anti-MS zealots who need no excuse to rant will ignore all this, but think about it. Its not like this needs to be cross platform, and by locking into IE they reduce their support burden. This is in addition to the benefits to them of using their own ActiveX technologies.)

Unless they actually did have a custom standalone app and gave users the opportunity to remove IE completely. Look at how much trouble having IE integrated with the OS has caused already; you don't actually have to use IE to be subject to one of its faults. And this is just looking at the situation from a practicality point of view, not an "anti-MS zealot" view.

• Advertisement

Dun wrote:
    Unless they actually did have a custom standalone app and gave users the opportunity to remove IE completely. Look at how much trouble having IE integrated with the OS has caused already; you don't actually have to use IE to be subject to one of its faults. And this is just looking at the situation from a practicality point of view, not an "anti-MS zealot" view.

I actually agree with this, but, being pragmatic about it, with the current state of play, there's no reason for them to support any other browser. In fact, this integration with the OS makes IE an even better choice from the point of view of designing an update service.

But, even if IE was a completely seperate application, with no ties to the OS other than being bundled with it, it still makes sense for MS to use their own technologies to deliver the service - that way they're in control of all the tech involved and it makes it much easier for them to design, implement and support the whole thing.

I mean, asking MS to make windows update work on other browsers is a little bit like asking Ximian to make Red Carpet work for WinXP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

heh .... driver updates wants to install Ati drivers from December 2003 :rolleyes: .... that would probably slow down a lot of this years games, possibly stop some of them .....

And why doesnt it suggest installing DirectX9.0c?

I actually agree with this, but, being pragmatic about it, with the current state of play, there's no reason for them to support any other browser. In fact, this integration with the OS makes IE an even better choice from the point of view of designing an update service.

But, even if IE was a completely seperate application, with no ties to the OS other than being bundled with it, it still makes sense for MS to use their own technologies to deliver the service - that way they're in control of all the tech involved and it makes it much easier for them to design, implement and support the whole thing.

I mean, asking MS to make windows update work on other browsers is a little bit like asking Ximian to make Red Carpet work for WinXP.
    I don't think they should run it on any other browser, but although the OS integration makes IE available for the update service, it is also a cause of the need for a lot of updates. It doesn't bother me having to use IE to use Windows Update - after all I've no choice but to have it on my computer (while using Windows). I would just rather have the choice of being able to dump IE and use a standalone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

New site looks good. I don't like the simplistic options whenit starts up though - automatic search & install or custom. You should be able to tick a box saying "remember my selection" so it brings you straight to the automatic or custom update each time you go to windows update.
    Easily done with a persistant cookie.

Also something which has always annoyed me about the update site is that you can't ask it to ignore any updates you don't want. For example, there are two software updates and two hardware updates which I don't want/need. Every time I go onto the site it tells me these are available for download. Twould be nice if these either didn't show up, or didn't show up as new when I opened windows update.

seamus wrote:
    Also something which has always annoyed me about the update site is that you can't ask it to ignore any updates you don't want. For example, there are two software updates and two hardware updates which I don't want/need. Every time I go onto the site it tells me these are available for download. Twould be nice if these either didn't show up, or didn't show up as new when I opened windows update.

Seamus, with V5, you can tell the site to ignore certain updates, so that it doesn't show them again. Additionally, if you choose to hide an update from teh site, it's also hidden from AU. The converse is also true.

Regarding Drivers, Windows Update can only publish drivers that have passed the WHQL labs tests, and that the hardware vendors submit to us. We'll happily publish all the drivers that a hardware vendor provides us. Get onto your hardware manufacturer and ask them why they haven't provided driver updates through Windows Update.

The suggestion for a 'remember my selection" setting is a good one. Ultimately it's only saving you a single click, but I'll forward it on to the rest of the team for considiration in a future update.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seamus, with V5, you can tell the site to ignore certain updates, so that it doesn't show them again. Additionally, if you choose to hide an update from teh site, it's also hidden from AU. The converse is also true.
    Oh, so it does. I didn't look hard enough. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi ColmOT [MSFT],Quick question,will xp home work on the amd 64 platform or will i need a new os?

regds kieran

KMB, the Athlon 64 platform supports running a 32bit Windows on their 64bit processor (a totally cool and exceptionally brilliant concept on AMDs part!). SO, yes, yopu can run XP Home on your 64 bit AMD processor.

However, there will not be a native 64-bit version of Windows XP Home. Only Windows XP Professional will be ported over to 64bit.

Will there be any charge for people to upgrade their 32 bit copy of XP Pro to the 64bit version whenever a final release comes out?

• Advertisement

I'm not privvy to this information, and it probably hasn't even been decided yet.

But one thing to consider, is that they are two distinct version of windows. Is there a charge to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional? :) The question you're asking is the same thing.

Advertisement