Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSH Book Review

Options
  • 22-08-2004 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth

I think most people here like to play no limit and/or tournaments so I will say right away there is little in this book for those people.

The book is written for loose limit games where the quality of the play from many of your opponents is somewhat crap. In fact the book is not so much aimed at small stakes but at loose games.

Sections:
    1. Gambling Concepts: Deals with EV and pot odds, basic stuff.
    2. Pre-flop: This section is short but very good. I have never seen pre-flop concepts explained so well.
    3. Post-flop: Looks at topics such as counting outs (superb chapter), hidden outs, protecting your hand, hand evaluation, and most importantly pot size. One great chapter is entitled “Two overpair hands” where the concept of waiting till the turn to raise is outlined.
    4. River Play: About 30 pages on river play.
    5. Miscellaneous: Includes a good section on playing overcards.
    6. Quizzes: I have not read this section yet.

In general the style advocated is very aggressive when the pot is large and he encourages you to push small edges. I can see how it is possible to apply the ideas here incorrectly and become over aggressive and I think that playing in this style could well lead to greater variance.

This is an excellent book, all the concepts are explained in an easy to understand manner. I consider SSH a must buy if you are playing limit games online.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nice review. We are hoping to have a section on the SuitedAces site where people can post reviews of poker books. Perhaps you might do one for that?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PokerTony

Hi
    just wonderin how you managed to get your hands on a copy, amazon UK never seem to have it in stock and I doubt any bookshops in dublin would have it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You can get it direct from the publishers at www.twoplustwo.com cost me around €29 total including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

I ordered it from amazon.com, I was doing an order from them anyway.

How do you like the book TwoSheds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's good, some very interesting concepts in there, however as it's a limit book and I'm playing almost all no-limit nowadays it was of relatively limited use. For anyone playing limit I'd say it's an essential read.

Some parts are useful for no-limit, I found the chapters on counting 'real' outs, overcalls etc. very good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement