Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My whole road is suddenly failing for DSL!

Options
  • 22-08-2004 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if you've read my broadband woe posts before, basically my line has been perfect for broadband since it was launched, I had it tested when I worked in Esat and it more than exceeded the minimum requirements etc, but I decided not to get it at that time. 3 months ago I decided i would get it but suddenly my line is now failing, and has been the past 3 months!
    At the time I checked about 10 phone numbers of people on my street and *ALL* passed the pre-qual test.

This morning I checked them again....ALL are failing! How on earth can this happen? I know for a fact two of them (and one is my next door neighbour) already HAVE broadband, yet it's giving a fail report.

I rang eircom sales the other day about getting a 2nd line in, and asked what the possibility would be of checking it'd be ok for broadband before it's installed. The guy in sales said 'Well I can put a note on the call asking the engineer to check it's ok, and if it looks like it won't pass then he can scrap the install if you like?'

Now, this sounds like bull**** to me, having read on here that new lines can take a month to show up on their database for dsl. I haven't ordered the line yet, and I think i'll ask for them to fax me over a note confirming what that sales guy said about scrapping the line if it's not ok for dsl. I'll also ring from work where we record all our phone calls, to be sure to be sure. Should be interesting!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe the last time Eircom re-tested the area it was during bad weather and this affected the results, I know where I work we have alot of customers complaining about disconnections and out of sync lines due to bad weather in the UK.

As for what Eircom rep said, yes tbh its bull****, its the same as in the UK if you get a BT line installed you test it for DSL and it fails there still going to charge you for line install/activation etc
    bloody eircom eh?

When it comes to what the rep said, your could try to verify this with a superviser or get it in writing (get them to fax you a copy of such a agreement)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I doubt they'll want to fax anything to me, wonder would a voice recording be ok? I work in a merchant bank and have to keep records of all calls, it's a piece of pish for me to turn on recording on my phone line in work :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Voice recorder is perfectly legal as long as you inform the rep at the beginning of the call that you are recording it and he/she agree's, then you have a legal copy of the conversation.

well afaik anyway thats ok

Actually I don't think you have to inform the person you're recording the call, I think that's just a myth. None of our staff have to inform the person they're calling, every single call that's made by most people in the place is recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

eth0_ wrote:
    Actually I don't think you have to inform the person you're recording the call, I think that's just a myth. None of our staff have to inform the person they're calling, every single call that's made by most people in the place is recorded.
    Methinks if you want to present as evidence in court you probably do. If its just quality control - who cares.

• Advertisement

No, we've had issues with traders etc where phone calls have had to be produced to settle issues and as I said, they never inform anyone the call is being recorded. I'll double check in work during the week.

From my experience in the past the customer most notify you at the beginning of the call, if you are told 6min in or whatever then you can terminate the call and advise the customer to phone back and notify at the beginning of the call.,
    Best check the law books I'd say, just to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Was having problems getting broadband myself until i disconnected my phone (has Caller ID inbuilt) for a few weeks. Got a pass and immediatly ordered. Have had broadband happily for the past month or two and just checked my line for the laugh and yep, its failing the test. It really is a ridiculous situation, as i know when i called Eircom originally the sales guy told me that i would never get broadband on the line.

mbroaders wrote:
    Was having problems getting broadband myself until i disconnected my phone (has Caller ID inbuilt) for a few weeks. .

I tried all that...left just the original eircom phone plugged in for 5-6 weeks, took the cordless phone and upstairs phone off the line but still no joy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

A company must inform callers they are recording calls at the start of a call. A private individual can record a call and submit it as evidence without informing the company as long as it is used to protect his consumer rights.

• Advertisement

A company must inform callers they are recording calls at the start of a call. A private individual can record a call and submit it as evidence without informing the company as long as it is used to protect his consumer rights.

So like I said, I _don't_ have to inform them - I want DSL for my home, the fact I rang to order from my work phone and recorded the same, would be irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I think it's pretty funny (and i've heard of it in other threads too) that there's people who currently have broadband who's lines fail the eircom "test".

I think a few of them would be of interest to RTE in the broadband horror stories thread as rebuttals of eircom's test.

Advertisement