Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling NAT?

• 22-08-2004 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

OK, first off, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to all this broadband stuff. I only have it a few weeks, and I'm still finding my feet, so if this post is stoopid, I apologise ;) Oh and I tried searching for topics covering this, but the search term "NAT" is too short apparently for the board system to bother looking for apparently :(

I have the Cayman 3341 ADSL modem (Eircom broadband package), which by default has NAT enabled. From what I can see, NAT seems to act something like a firewall, in that I have to open ports in it to get hosted software to work. However, the Cayman's web interface isn't great, and I already have a decent software firewall (not the XP one ;)) - if you use one of those web-based firewall testers, like the one at http://scan.sygate.com/, the modem seems to respond to the port requests before my firewall has a chance to react, and most of the ports show up as closed, instead of being stealthed, which I'm not happy about. Also, having to open up ports in both my firewall and the modem's NAT settings when I want to host a game server for the first time is a total headache, particularly when there's problems getting it to work, and the modem has to be restarted every time you make a change to its settings...

I tried disabling NAT on the modem, but then I lost internet access. I couldn't get to any machine outside of my local network, so I had to turn it back on.

So I'm wondering, is there any way to successfully disable NAT, so that I only have to deal with my software firewall, but can still access the internet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

The Cayman Netopia 3341 can be configured either as a modem or as a router. The default is as a router using NAT. It can be changed to be a modem without NAT. In the latter configuration, the PC then has to run the PPPoE session, Windows XP has built in software to do this. Essentially, the PC then has the real internet IP address so everything talks to your software firewall on the PC then and the netopia is nothing more than a modem. This is how I have my setup and it works really well. Make sure you have a really good firewall though, as you will be vulnerable to internet attacks otherwise. This is the config on my Cayman, basically everything off except whats needed to run it as a modem only. I've upgraded the OS to 7.4.0r1 (the current build) from netopia.com so if certain options are not there in your config, don't worry about it. Hope this helps. Oh, you telnet to the netopia to see this config, telnet 192.168.1.254

========================================

======================================
    atm
    option on
    vcc 1
    option on
    vpi 8
    vci 35
    encap ether-llc
    qos
    service-class ubr
    peak-cell-rate 0

bridge
    option on
    dsl vcc1
    option off

dhcp
    option off

dmt
    type dmt
    autoConfig off
    wiringMode tip_ring

dns
    proxy-enable on
    domain-name ""
    primary-address 0.0.0.0
    secondary-address 0.0.0.0

===============================================
    dslf-cpewan
    option off

dslf-lanmgmt
    option on

ethernet
    ethernet A
    mode auto

ip
    option on
    ethernet A
    option on
    address 192.168.1.254
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    restrictions none
    rip-send v1
    rip-receive v1
    dsl vcc1 option off
    gateway
    option off
    igmp-forwarding off
    ipsec-passthrough off
    prioritize off
    sip-passthrough on
    static-routes
    static-arp

ip-maps

nat-default
    mode off

pinhole

ppp

security
    state-insp
    udp-timeout 180
    tcp-timeout 14400
    dsl vcc1
    option off
    xposed-addr

servers

web-http 80
    telnet-tcp 23

snmp
    community
    read "public"
    write ""
    trap ""
    traps
    ip-traps
    sysgroup
    contact ""
    location ""
    v3
    enable off

system
    name "Cayman-3000"
    diagnostic-level high
    heartbeat
    option off
    ntp
    option off option off

upnp
    option on

syslog

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭element05

Cool, thanks for the info - I didn't know the modem could act as a router as well... we're thinking of getting a wireless router here down the road, so I'll really want to disable the router stuff on the modem then :)

I'm going to do a bit of reading up on all of the options here, and when I get around to changing my config, I'll post my results here; maybe someone else will find them useful.

Again, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

A neater solution would be to use the 'IP Passthrough' option in the router configuration menu. (under Configure/Advanced/Default Server)

The 'IP Passthrough' option in this menu allows you to select for one machine connected to the router to get the public IP address of the connection (others will get NAT'ted addresses). You'll need the MAC address of your PC handy.

Nicer than using the Windows XP PPP stack, IMHO

Advertisement