Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is society more Violent today....?

• 22-08-2004 1:48pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

These days not many days go by without you hearing about a Murder or a violent crime.Some people are of the opinion that its just better reported in the media,I dont belive this but I am only 24 so thats one for some older folk to talk about.One thing it is true that the media are transfixed with bad news and in their view the more violent the better (sell more pappers etc).

So my question to you is this,Is Ireland more Violent today than it was say in 1980....?

Is Ireland more Violent than it was in the 70s & 80s 31 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    70% 22 votes
    Not Sure.
    12% 4 votes
    Its the same the Media just report it more.
    16% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

cant say i get attacked enough to say the streets are a haven for violent scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More violent than 1980? Which is in itself an arbitary year. Well there are about twice as many murders now as then (exluding "Troubles" related stuff)
    but many of them are particular to drug gangs so can almost be sectioned off like IRA related murders in the old days. I think the mejja does broadly give more space to violent crime but the Evening Herald has always gone big crime/criminals.

Overall I dont think Ireland is more dangerous now than 24 years ago.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dont think you can really say.

yes there are more murders etc then the 80s, but i am sure its the same with every country. guns are not alot more widely available aswell. also drugs have become alot more popular now than in the 70s probaly, leading to an increase in gangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is less respect now for people than there was. These so and sos don't give a damn about who or what they hurt. They don't even have respect for themselves. Society has certainly changed. Of course there has always been violence, but it has always been reported too. Lots of factors have added to our problems. Excessive use of drink and drugs is one of many.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mike65 wrote:
    More violent than 1980? Which is in itself an arbitary year. Well there are about twice as many murders now as then (exluding "Troubles" related stuff)
    but many of them are particular to drug gangs so can almost be sectioned off like IRA related murders in the old days. I think the mejja does broadly give more space to violent crime but the Evening Herald has always gone big crime/criminals.

Overall I dont think Ireland is more dangerous now than 24 years ago.

Mike.

Even though I'm just only 21, I totally agree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement