Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

band expander

Options
  • 22-08-2004 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any pointers on where to pickup a band expader for a jap radio, didnt have much luck with the motor factors, any idea how much.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

can you not just replace the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Im on the look out for one to there are a DIY fit just plugs into the back of the radio or so ive heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I think these are the sort of converters you're looking for:

http://www.fmbandexpanders.co.uk/

http://www.fmband-expanders.co.nz/

http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/PRODUCTS.html

I've never used any of the units referred to here, so I can't vouch for their quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

I know robert stafford (dunno company name) at the 9th lock in clondalkin used to do em cos a few friends had to get em if thats any help!!

motor store in liffey valley should be able to sort ya aswell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

afaik the radio will display a different frequency when you're using an expander - it adds on (for example) 7 Hz to the frequency, so you'll be tuned into 104 fm but the radio will be displaying 97FM. Would personally find it a pain in the arse.

New head units are seriously cheap - would seem a lot less hassle to just replace the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

kdevitt wrote:
    afaik the radio will display a different frequency when you're using an expander
    Yes, that's correct. All the expander does is take the incoming broadcast signals and transpose them down to a range that the Japanese receiver can handle, so the receiver will show the converted frequency, not the actual broadcast frequency.

As the Japanese FM broadcast band is only 14MHz wide (76 to 90MHz) whereas here it is 20MHz (88 to 108MHz), you can't cover the whole band in one easy conversion either. You have two options:

1. Use a simple converter which transposes by one fixed offset, and put up with the fact that you won't be able to receive all stations. If you look at some of the links I provided above you'll set that models are available with different offsets. For example, if you picked a unit which transposes everything down by 14MHz, then with the expander on 76 to 90MHz on the receiver would actually tune 90 to 104MHz. With the expander switched off, you could obivously tune the bottom section of our band (88 to 90) directly, but you'd not be able to receive stations in the 104 to 108 MHz range.

2. Get a converter which has two switchable offsets. You can then cover the entire 88 to 108MHz band, but you'll probably have a hard time correlating the displayed frequency with the actual broadcast frequency as you'd have to remember which offset you were using at any time.

You should also be aware that some of the cheaper converters may introduce heterodyning and other spurious signals which may interfere with reception of some stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Unless it is a high spec head unit it is barely worth the hassle, about €100 will get a new brand name head unit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have two head units taking up space in my attic if you want them. One is from a Ford I used to own (radio only IIRC) and the other is a philips radio/tape.
    Yours for the taking!

Advertisement