Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for technology

• 22-08-2004 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Yet again a result has been marred by the fact that a ref or linesman couldn't make a decision on a ball crossing the line. The latest being in todays game at West Brom V Aston Villa.

Mellberg was robbed of a second goal that was well over the line as far as I could see! The defender was standing on the line, hooking it out with his left foot. There's no way it wasn't in.

It's for these incidents that goalmouth cameras should be used in the modern game. With only one or two incidents in the six yard box proving contentious, and possibly costly, there's no reason why this technology could not be used to improve the game. For those who say it would slow down the game, I don't agree. It's only going to take less than a minute for another official to rule it categorically one way or the other. Far less time than the possible scuffles and heated debate that surrounds current judgements by refs and linesmen, as things stand. No arguments, no need for players to surround the ref, leading to further trouble and possible ruining of a game! Everyone just gets on with the game with no questions hanging over what may or not have been. It either was a goal, or it wasn't. A quick decision by instant play back images would make life so much more simple

It benefits everyone. If a team are awarded a goal or a penalty unjustly, any heated debate could lead to a defender being booked or sent off, further adding to the injustice of the situation. All this could be avoided so simply. Fans also will benefit if they know that a badly handled situation hasn't cost their side a point, or even three.

It may be said that these decisions even themselves out over the season. But what about the lower placed sides, who benefitted today, but generally don't get these decisions in their favour. One needlessly dodgy decision could cost them relegation and in turn, £20M+. Similarly, it could be the difference in the Premiership, or other league title.

It's definitely time for the game to be brought to a new level of professionalism. The players have had to change. Now it's time for the Authorities to do their bit and get with the 21st Century.

It's there. Use it!

Damo
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Yeah i was majorly pissed with the refs decision myself. The west brom player had to use his left foot which was already over the line to kick the ball out, therefore the ball was clearly over so it was definately a goal. And that freekick against Laursen which led to westbrom equalising was a bad decision. I dont know if technology is a good idea, but i definately think that each refs performance should be up for review by the FA at the end of each season and if they have made too many bad decisions they should go. Mark Halsey has always been a dodgy ref, remember the penalty and the free kick he gave at home to arsenal last season.

But full credit to Albion, they had the best of chances in the second half,so overall it was probably a fair result.They are definatley more prepared for life in the Premiership than they were in 02/03.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

DamoRed wrote:
    Yet again a result has been marred by the fact that a ref or linesman couldn't make a decision on a ball crossing the line. The latest being in todays game at West Brom V Aston Villa....

They use it in rugby and cricket and the problem is the ref cops out of making any decisions at all. In the end the ref is robbed of some of his authority and that causes problems in its own ways...

And sometimes they call on the video refs to make calls that in theory they aren't supposed to be asked (e.g., in rugby the video ref is only allowed adjudicate on the grounding of the ball....not forward passes or other stuff, altho they are always asked these questions).

Personally, i wouldn't like to see it in soccer but i can understand the arguments for it.

p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea but it still won't fix refs stupid decisions like the one made for West Broms goal. If that was a free kick soccer must have become a no contact sport.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

DamoRed wrote:
    Yet again a result has been marred by the fact that a ref or linesman couldn't make a decision on a ball crossing the line. The latest being in todays game at West Brom V Aston Villa.
    He could and did make a decision, it just happens it didn't go the way you wanted by the looks of it... The linesman couldn't give that goal unless he was sure, and seeing as the analysts weren't even sure after numerous replays I think he was justified in not giving it.

As for the technology, I don't know. Do you introduce it to all levels of the game or just give favouritism to the top divisions? It's tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

kaids wrote:
    He could and did make a decision, it just happens it didn't go the way you wanted by the looks of it... The linesman couldn't give that goal unless he was sure, and seeing as the analysts weren't even sure after numerous replays I think he was justified in not giving it.

As for the technology, I don't know. Do you introduce it to all levels of the game or just give favouritism to the top divisions? It's tricky.

It was a poor decision and I'm sure Andy Gray has proved it was a goal by now using his technology. Referees will make decisions that are wrong thats part and parcel of the game, what should happen is that they admit to those mistakes and get punished.

Technology should not be ruled out without some dicussion between pro's and refs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

kaids wrote:

its expensive as you are basically hiring another ref just on the off chance that soemthing is refered...you could only use it for the very top games...internationals and top leagues.

Then there is the whole legal aspect to it.....what happens if the ref doesn't refer a controversial decision....how long before there would be a legal challenge if soemone got knocked out of a cup or europe etc etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

kaids wrote:
    He could and did make a decision, it just happens it didn't go the way you wanted by the looks of it...

Kaids,

It has obviously escaped your attention that I am a Liverpool fan and couldn't give a stuff which way a decision went in a match involving West Brom and Aston Villa.

Damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it wasnt over anyway so it was a good call.

WHY dont people get it into their heads the WHOLE BALL HAS TO BE OVER!!!!
    in the same match, a ball was played to the touchline which someone managed to keep in but the linesman called it out when clearly the whole ball hadnt crossed the line.

no day-light between ball and line = play on.

Advertisement