Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Golf 1.4 Base

Options
  • 22-08-2004 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Looking to buy a 99 Golf Base 1.4 in the near future..
    Just wondering what the difference between the base and comfortline is and also if there are any maor problems I should be aware of?

Also - What needs to be done at the 60000 mile service?

Cheers
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

commited wrote:
    Hey folks,
    Looking to buy a 99 Golf Base 1.4 in the near future..
    Just wondering what the difference between the base and comfortline is and also if there are any maor problems I should be aware of?

Also - What needs to be done at the 60000 mile service?

Cheers
    Mark

Mark,

I would strongly advise the comfort line, I had checked out the 99 base, and it has no electric windows - which are only standard since the last couple of years. I paid the extra few hundred for the comfortline. I can't remember what else you get with it over the base, but no point getting a new enough car that doesnt have the basics!

Can't help you on the service question Im afraid.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

eoin_s wrote:
    Mark,

I would strongly advise the comfort line, I had checked out the 99 base, and it has no electric windows - which are only standard since the last couple of years. I paid the extra few hundred for the comfortline. I can't remember what else you get with it over the base, but no point getting a new enough car that doesnt have the basics!

Can't help you on the service question Im afraid.

Eoin

Second That.
    I have a 01 1.4 Comfortline.
    Top of my head it includes :
    - Electric windows
    - Front armrest
    - 12v socket in boot.
    - Nicer seat material (velour, although beware it is a feckin fluff magnet!)
    - Better radio (Gamma with more (8 I think) speakers.)
    - Electric Mirrors

There is more but I can't remember at the moment, sorry!

Can't help on the service Q, I''m on 14k :-)
    On the reliability / problems query, I've had 3 years of problem free motoring.
    Tis a very nice solid car, albeit not the most fun/involved to drive.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh the gamma radio is better in the comfort line, there's armrest(s)? in the comfort line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Cheers lads :)

Well it's about €1k cheaper than any of the 99 comfortlines I've seen and it seems to be in really good, well cared for nick apart from the few scratches it has. Very tight drive!

I can sacrifice electric windows for now - I'm handy with a spanner, so I'll find a crashed Golf and install the windows from that! Only trouble would be matching the door cards to the trim..

Also the radio isnt an issue as it will be getting a new headunit, and 4 speakers is plenty!

Service thing is the only thing bothering me at the moment!

Thanks again!

Hi again..

I found a trendline with 60k on the clock for just a little bit more than I was going to spend..

Is this a higher spec than the comfortline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

commited wrote:
    Hi again..

I found a trendline with 60k on the clock for just a little bit more than I was going to spend..

Is this a higher spec than the comfortline?

I think it is very similar, if not a slightly better spec (I seem to remember the trim being slightly nicer inside). A good choice - I really regret selling my golf :rolleyes:

Just found out that it's basically the base model with sports trim, alloys, sports suspension and a spoiler I think..

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

if it has 60k done, make sure the timing belt and tensioners have been changed,and by a competent vw mechanic or dealer.
    I had a 99 golf 2 years ago, and it cost about €600 at the time.

€600 is a serious amount of cash.. Makes buying a car that already has this done look more and more appealing..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Definatley. i cheaped out with mine- got a garage in lucan(who shall remain nameless) to change the belt, which they did, but not the tensioners. soon after, strange noises from the engine as one of the tensioners had cracked. turned out I nearly wrecked the engine.
    All in, it cost me €450 + €630ish to change the thing.
    you live and learn.... :)

• Advertisement

scary stuff..

Went to look at a comfortline today - Is the better trim worth an extra grand though?

It did feel quite a bit classier though..

Ah I'm so confused - anyone know of any reasonably priced 99/00 1.4 Golf Comfortlines? Preferably Silver/Red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I know a few people with the new model 98/99 who had lots of electrical problems with the locks. One guy even had the engine swapped after about 10K. But I'm guessing that was typical. You might want to check out the Central locking and all the locks.

Personally I think the suspension on thoses golf is terrible. Soft and wallowy.

Yeah they arent the best drivers car but we're after something solid and that the bill that the Golf fits perfectly!
    There don't seem to be any 99 Silver 1.4 Comfortlines for sale though!

commited wrote:
    Yeah they arent the best drivers car but we're after something solid and that the bill that the Golf fits perfectly!
    There don't seem to be any 99 Silver 1.4 Comfortlines for sale though!

The interior is not as nice, but the ride and handling of a Astra is light years better than the Golf, and cheaper too. The Focus is better again but personally I still think the Focus looks weird. I kinda like the interior of the Astras it reminds me of the old Golf MKII I used to have. My parents have a Astra 1.7 TD and surprisingly nippy too!

Well - focus probably would have been my first choice - but the golf is the best comprimise really.

Cheers for the advice though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

hi, im selling my SEAT leon '01 1.6 for 10k. has to go before thursday. it going in the papers this week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175401

You should have a look at it. much better than a base(edit) 99 model golf.... :cool:

You should have a look at it. much better than a base model golf.... :cool:

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

spec, 2 years younger, current model etc etc

cheers, but I cant afford to insure a 1.6!

Looks like a nice car - surprised you cant sell it!

Advertisement