Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car and selling old one

Options
  • 22-08-2004 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to know what most people do when they are buying a new car and selling the old one themselves. I plan to buy a new car next month and then sell my current one. Obviously I will have to transfer my insurance and then my old car will be uninsured while I wait for a buyer for it. Can anyone sdvise me as to what they have done in this situation. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've always found it far less hassle to trade in the vehicle for the new one. You won't get the same price as you would selling private, but you drive in with the old car, and drive out with the new car, all done and dusted, and no big machine taking up room in your driveway, sitting rusting in the rain.

Particularly in today's climate, it's a buyer's marker when it comes to second vehicles. Your car could be waiting for a buyer for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What seamus said but depending on what you are selling and how good a deal you can get without the part exchange

I have done it in 3 different ways:

1. privately bought another car and agreed to finalise deal when my own car was sold
    2. part exchanged my car for other higher value second hand car at dealers
    3. privately bought a car without even having started to sell my car - risky but I just couldn't resist - twas love at first sight :D

You can get your old car insured Fire&Theft (you can't drive it then!) but this is expensive at about €50-€60 per week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

FX Meister wrote:
    I just wanted to know what most people do when they are buying a new car and selling the old one themselves. I plan to buy a new car next month and then sell my current one. Obviously I will have to transfer my insurance and then my old car will be uninsured while I wait for a buyer for it. Can anyone sdvise me as to what they have done in this situation. Thanks

what is your current car??
    year mileage nct etc???

if you were to put it on the buy and sell or autotrader for what you think it's worth you'd get an idea of what offers you can expect!!!

unkels suggestion no1:
    1. privately bought another car and agreed to finalise deal when my own car was sold
    is probably what I'd recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

How about advertising your own car and as soon as you get a buyer, agree that they will take it 1 week from that day and spend the week finding your new car? Obviously it would be wise to keep up with the market while you're selling your own car and would do no harm at all to test drive a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

My current car is a 97 VW Polo and I want to get a 99/00 Audi A3. I think it will take me a while to find one I'm happy with though so I dont think a weeks grace between the buyer of my car picking it up and me finding the Audi I want would work out. I also have to get my stereo, sub and phone kit switched over. I guess I figured that I would get more for my car if I sold it myself and would get the Audi cheaper in the buy and sell. My car has had a crash which will bring the value down and I figure the garage will use this to screw me more. The car was very well repaired and as a result has had rusted parts replaced and a new timing belt fitted. I have the reciepts for all the work carried out aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

FX Meister wrote:
    My current car is a 97 VW Polo and I want to get a 99/00 Audi A3. I think it will take me a while to find one I'm happy with though so I dont think a weeks grace between the buyer of my car picking it up and me finding the Audi I want would work out. I also have to get my stereo, sub and phone kit switched over. I guess I figured that I would get more for my car if I sold it myself and would get the Audi cheaper in the buy and sell. My car has had a crash which will bring the value down and I figure the garage will use this to screw me more. The car was very well repaired and as a result has had rusted parts replaced and a new timing belt fitted. I have the reciepts for all the work carried out aswell.
    A dealer in Dublin will screw you for sure, try some outside Dublin. I got €1000 more from a dealer outside Dublin when I was trading in my last car.

Advertisement