Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAKE MONEY FAST (maybe)

Options
  • 26-03-1999 12:54pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

friend sent me this, thought I'd share. For all you UO fans.

--
    So there's this game called Ultima Online, which is a kind of twee Middle
    English feudal shared world game that a lot of Americans seem to enjoy
    immensely. You log into it, playa role such as blacksmith or knave ot
    something, and gradually, painstakingly, accumulate money and experience
    points that allow you to do more interesting roles, such as knight or
    sheriff. Anyway, it appears now that people who have developed their
    characters to extraordinary levels (through some skill and literally 100s
    of hours of gameplay) have taken to floggin them off on EBay
    (www.ebay.com). See below.

Remember that Ultima Online account that sold for $521 via an ebay online
    auction? Chump change. In no time flat, other enterprising gamers flocked
    to ebay to hawk their own UO accounts, resulting in some bids that are
    approaching the stratospheric...and the absurd.

At the time of these musings, I noted 91 UO items up for sale. One account
    was offered initially at $200 but 66 bids later, sits at a current bid of
    $5000 with three more days to go! Bidding for another began at a measly $5
    but has since escalated to $1025 after only 11 bids. One hopeful seller has
    even decided to "spare" bidders the bother of going through the tedious
    exercise of multiple low bids and has kindly offered his account for sale
    at $3000 to start. How thoughtful.

Amazing to think that people are "growing" virtual identities and then
    selling them for some real cash to wealthy, lazy people. What a strange new
    world.

--

DeV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yes indeedy smile.gif

However those more expensive ones have placed castles and towers on Shards were this is no more space.

To sell one for that much you would want some serious in game cash. Even Vemmys account problery wouldn't sell more then 500 quid (if he was luckly).

Some players would go for 10K easy in real money.

There is one player I have heard of owns 1/3 of the houses on one Shard!!! That is a serious amount of houses. (all kinds). He makes money renting them out, and people even pay him for a tour.

He makes so much money that he gives away 1 million gold in small piles at the local bank to the crowds every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

WHY THE **** WOULD ANYONE PAY £10,000 FOR A STUPID IMAGINARY CHARACHTER WITH STUPID IMAGINARY MONEY, YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE MENTALLY HANDICAPPED OR SEP OR SOMEHTING...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

damo i will pay you 1000 quid for your castle, and an extra 50 quid for your boyak dayer
    givus your fookin house NOW or ill fookin break you and your fookin boyak

damo is Hortense and i play as Bois (it was meant to be "Boris", but i misspelled it...)

we own a castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

no really, we do

The same reason someone would pay 3K to play like Koopa. Some people have more money then sense.

What Devore failed to mention that there is an online bank that will change UO Gold to and from real currency.

Btw, Koops if you want to slag do it on the Quake board. Further non constructive posts will be deleted.

• Advertisement

I sure as hell wouldnt pay £3,000 to play like Koopa or Thresh or anyone else, i would spend it wisely and get very p!ssed for a very long time indeed. And who is this sad d!ck who spent about 23.9 hours a day online to build up his imaginary little empire, if only UO was around earlier there might have been no WWII, no wait Hitler was mad but he wasnt sad...

So how much time do you spend playing the game a week, do you ever get drunk?

You'd pay 3K if you knew paying that would get you a nice new car or other stuff like Thresh got. And I'm sure Koopa would take your cash quick enough.

As for the 23.9 hours, it would be more like 22 hours (servers go down for backups). One of the advantages of the States is free local phone calls, so just slap a macro program on and leave the machine alone and come back the next day to a pile of cash and a kick a$s character.

I can't remember the guys name but people on the Shard he plays were getting up a petition to have him banned for taking up all the space. It's then he listed out exactly what he owned, where, and the fact he gives a lot away as well as rents out the places.

I spend no more time then I would playing Quake back in Ireland. My machine is on the net nearly 24/7 so it's easy to run up a good character while the machine is busy doing other things. Actually I would say at this moment, my machine plays UO more then I do smile.gif

As for being Drunk, working on it now smile.gif (only in America... where they give you free beer and food every friday afternoon as part of your job smile.gif)

Oh yea, a lot of the people who are posting thier accounts to eBay are built up from years of macroing. But as I said there are people with more money then sense.

But isnt that cheating? Using an external program to macro up ure charachter. U have to live in america to be in the pgl so ill use my 3k to get drunk thank u very much, besides that was a once off as it was john carmacks own car, good advertising.

Currently the ruling given by GM's (Refs) is that any macro program which emulates keystrokes and doesn't annoy other players tends to be ignored.

However it depends on the GM's so if you p1ss them off they can ban you for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Heheh, macros.
    Reminds me of the good old days mudding.
    We found a bug in this newbie quest...
    You could only do it once and it gave you 10k xp (a lot). But the bug was......the newbie quest master bloke gave you the xp before one tick before setting the QUEST_COMPLETED flag on your character smile.gif So one of the lads wrote a script that went around, did the quest automatically, got the xp and fled from the bloke before the flag was set... Then did it again, and again and.....
    Leave script running on UNIX machine for a few days.......madness.
    I also remember this zone....full of well hard monsters, but the bloke who coded it had left a cheat in. He got caught and the zone was deleted. Then the mud changed owners, and the new guy put the zone back in (about 2 years later). Us old-schoolers remembered this bug.....heheh. You went to this room and typed 'gogetemya*******' and it loaded a level 100 monster with 0% hitpoints, strength etc etc. But still gave full xp!! ROWR! Unfortunately we got caught after a while again....doh.
    Anyone doesn't know what a mud is? Well, a text only version of UO (and most of em are free).
    www.mudfinder.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement