Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best arrangement of kit

Options
  • 22-08-2004 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I've just bought a Sony KV32FQ86TNS tv and Powercity were good enough to throw in a Sony DVD\VCR combo for free. I plan to buy an a\v receiver and separates to give me a nice home cinema system, but I'm unsure as to what to connect to what. For example - do I feed the Chorus box into the DVD\VCR and let it talk to the amp on it's own. Do I connect everything individually and then send a video signal to the tv and back to the vcr so I can record (can I send two signals at the same time)? Can I send a sound signal to the tv instead of the speakers so that I can leave the main system off and use the tv speakers when I don't need the full 600W?

Any help greatly appreciated - as well as any advice on a decent amp that might help me keep everything simple? I was looking at either a Teac AG-5D, AG-10D or a Marantz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

It depends on the output configuration of the Chorus box, could you post up exactly what connections are available on the back of it? Also, do you know does it output RGB video through the scart? (there may be an option somewhere in the setup menu to change the output from Video or PAL to RGB)

If there are 2 scart sockets on the chorus box, you are in business. Connect both the DVD and Chorus box directly to the TV scart inputs, and enable RGB output on the DVD and on the Chorus box if its available. Use another Scart to connect from the Chorus box to the VCR scart on the combo unit.

If there is just one Scart on the Chorus box, let us know all the other connections avaialbe. For audio, I would take a feed from the audio outputs of the TV directly to the amp. This will cover anything you watch on Chorus or terrestrial TV. For the DVD, you should connect from the digital output (either an RCA coaxial or an optical jack) directly to the amp to get 5.1 digital sound.

Hope some of this helps, it all depends on the Chorus box connections though! Regarding the amplifier, I'm not a big fan of TEAC even though the kit looks really neat and tidy. I've had big reliability problems with lots of TEAC amps in the past tbh, so I wouldn't reccomend them personally. Marantz on the other hand are generally superb and great value for money. One of my favourite amps ever is the relatively modest SR54000 by Marantz.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The Chorus box has two scarts, although I'm not sure if either do RGB (I imagine not). The only other connections are normal red\white audio and composite video. That said, the box I was looking at is my parents so maybe whatever Chorus send me might be more up to date.

I like the SR5400, although they seem to be a pain to get. Mate of mine bought one from XMusic and they took so long getting it down from Richersounds in Belfast that he eneded up changing to the next one up as they had it on display.

Thanks for the advice on the Teac. However the Marantz products can cause bother too - like over-heating on the 5300. I wonder if I could get away with just putting sound through the amp and everything else directly into the tv (it has some RGB scarts as well as normal). I'm not sure what additional benefits I'd get by pushing the video through an extra stage en route to the screen.

Unless your amp can do RGB video switching, there's no point in routing through it, as you will have to drop to S-video or composite. Also, if the Chorus box can't do RGB but your amp can, there is also no point routing through the amp. Amps tend to be video switchers, not video format convertors (except in some high end amps), so if you have your DVD connected to the RGB sockets on the amp, and Chorus connected to compostite, you'll need to connect from the RGB out AND the composite out of the amp to your TV, so no benefit.

If you have the audio red/white outputs on the Chorus box you and use them for getting the audio to the amp, but I prefer using the TV's outputs, because if you ever hookup something like a Playstation to the TV, the sound will automatically be sent to the amp for you. You have a few options with the audio routing, so muck around a bit and see which is the best for you control wise. You want to be able to swith the amp and TV with minimum of fuss!

Yeah, I've read some horror stories about Marantz, but all I can say is that I've never had any trouble personally, and I've installed a hell of a lot of Marantz over the years. Their quality control has got much much better since Marantz broke away from Philips a couple of years ago.

The guys in XMusic are trying to sell me on a Marantz SR4400, it's the only Marantz they have in stock. Not sure if you've any experience of it, but the reviews I've found online seem to give it a 3/5 and put it at the bottom compared to similar Denon and Sony kit. Here's a review - http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3693

Right - put the deposit down today. I've gone for the Marantz SR4400. The main problem reviewers have had is with it's handling of video. Not a problem for me as I've decided to put the video signals directly into the tv. I've opted for the Gale 30 series as the speakers - 3040 fronts, 3050c centre and 3060 rears. I'm going to see what the base is like from the floorstanders before getting a sub, but I can see myself getting an active one in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time, but glad to hear you've gone for the SR4400. There was quite an improvement from the SR4300 to the SR4400 and I liked that amp alot, you won't be dissapointed. Those Gale speakers are actually pretty good for the money, despite 'Gale' not being a name many might be familiar with. Gale makes a lot of dodgy stuff as well as a few items that are particularly good, and from my experience those Gale speakers are pretty good. I once kitted out a restaurant entirely with the 3010 speakers and was very happy with the results.

Good luck with your new setup!

Robbie

Thanks for the help robbie. The Gale's have gotten some excellent reviews so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I'll let you know how the whole lot sounds when it gets delivered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ibx100

aodh_rua wrote:
    Thanks for the help robbie. The Gale's have gotten some excellent reviews so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I'll let you know how the whole lot sounds when it gets delivered!

Hi! Have they arrived yet?!

I'm looking at getting the Gale 3040s..

Richer Sounds have them here in England for £119.99 (€177), but I'm waiting on your review first before taking the plunge!

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206344

Advertisement