Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish voters hope to swing US election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It would be premature to suppose every mick is a Democrat esp as (I just looked the article) they are'nt Irish just Yanks who live here so its not even a story of any importance....me trails off...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

For every group that could swing the election, there are many more that could do the exact same thing. Pleasing the Irish vote will be well down on either men's priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Doesn't he mean pleasing the absentee American voters? Last time I checked, Irish people can't vote in the US elections (only dual nationality people).

Kerry isn't Irish either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I don't know if registering Americans in Ireland to vote in the U.S. Presidential election will make too much difference. There was a recent news item about something that may offset any gain to the Democratic Party by registering Irish residents. It seems that some 46,000 U.S. voters (mostly registered as members of the Democratic Party) are registered to vote in both New York and Florida, and many of them may have cast a vote in both states in the 2000 election. So if this bit of chicanery is cleaned-up, I'd say any boost from Ireland for the Democratic Party will be swamped by the sudden and altogether unexpected appearance of fair-dealing in New York and Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TomF wrote:
    and many of them may have cast a vote in both states in the 2000 election

No, they reckon somewhere around 100 to 1000 actually voted twice out of the 46,000 that had registered twice. It also isn't a conspiracy, a large number of voters migrate from NY to Florida/back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, now...if Florida gets cleaned up, in order to offset the Irish issue, I think the myriad of voters who were disenfranchised last time round will make an even bigger impact....and I seem to recall they were supposed to hav been significantly pro-Democrat....

Funny....a pro-Republican saying that cleaning up the Florida "funnies" wouldn't be to the Democrat's advantage.

Uh-huh.

jc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To what US state do the votes of absentee American voters in Ireland get attributed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

To what US state do the votes of absentee American voters in Ireland get attributed?

I'd take a wild guess and say the state that they're from.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

vorbis wrote:
    I'd take a wild guess and say the state that they're from.

They could be from lots of places, having moved a few times before going abroad. But yeah, probably where they last registered an address in the US.

Advertisement