Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Problems/Difficulties

Options
  • 22-08-2004 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

This isn't a thread about dyslexia or any inherent reading problem such as lack of eduaction or literacy. What I'm interested in is something I've experienced over the past two years.

I was placed on medication (i'm not going into what for) which had alot of side effects but was necessary. The medication dulled alot of my emotions and experiences for me, and resulted in me being unable to sit down and actually enjoy a book for half as long as i was used to. I've dropped from 2 books every week to a book every 2/3 weeks. Quite a change. A few weeks ago a different medication was added to the mix, and I've found my concentration and reading ability/speed picking itself up again.

I was wondering if anyone else here had ever had a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

well i dont know if this is what you mean but sometimes i go through periods where i cant concentrate and i'll pick up a book and read but wont be able to get into it, and ill try a few different books and the same thing happens - i just cant concentrate etc. and normally i love reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

depending on what is going on during the day (I read at night to relax) I sometimes find that I can read whole chapters and even though the words are familiar to me when I read back over them, I really have no understanding of what went on in that chapter. really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah that happens to me too LoLth. What was happening tho was a total inability to concentrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I haven't actually read a book in three months. My reading habits are peculiar, admittedly I've had a lot of commitments over the past few months but sometimes I just can't be arsed to read and then all of a sudden I might read 2 or 3 books a week for a couple of months and the cycle repeats.

Advertisement