Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ibb ripwave

• 22-08-2004 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

does anybody have any experiences using this? i know you will get latencies of 100ms but what are the download speeds like? i hear some people can't connect, has this been resolved? my current iol trial will run out next month and i want to know what my options are. i know ibb tech support leaves a bit to be desired but they are cheap and are with no cap. i would like to go with ntl but they are not available to me yet and ripwave has no contract.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

vishal wrote:
    does anybody have any experiences using this? i know you will get latencies of 100ms but what are the download speeds like?
    When it's working, you can get 50KB/s downloads.

I just downloaded a 1Meg test file from their FTP server, and this was the result:
    ftp: 1024000 bytes received in 22.27Seconds 45.98Kbytes/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

are there not any other board members here that have this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Are you happy with them now Ripwave, you were fairly spitting fire a few weeks back about your 2.4Ghz 1st Generation Ripwave.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

You will have a lot less hassle if you stay with iol.ibb may be cheaper and have no cap,butwhen i was with them caps were not an issue as the d load speeds were so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

i still cannot get mine to work, I reckon that it is faulty. I hope so as I cannot get NTL and if IBB ripwave doesnt work I am screwed as I refuse to pay eircom line rental at 30 a month just for broadband. ****ing ripoff merchants. I hate this cuntry.

Moo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I getting about 40kb/sec with it. I've got quite a weak signal and lose it sometimes - this can mean a restart to get it going again. It ain't for gaming with the 128 upload, but I'm happy enough.

vishal wrote:
    are there not any other board members here that have this?
    Not on Monday, there weren't, as IBB were having major problems allocating IP addresses (according to support).

Muck wrote:
    Are you happy with them now Ripwave, you were fairly spitting fire a few weeks back about your 2.4Ghz 1st Generation Ripwave.
    The 3.5GHz gear works, and I'm finally getting the 512k service I signed up for last October.

But the service was out for a couple of hours on Sunday 15th, and for much of Monday the 23rd. Not slow, just out entirely. It went out at 7:55AM, came up once of teice during the day, and was down from 7PM until sometime during the night.

I'm a bit disappointed that there's still a 90ms overhead with the new gear, but it is fast enough for VPN and remote desktop use, so that's okay - I haven't had tome to do any VoIP tests, though. I also haven't had a chance yet to verify whether the modem is tied to a specific transmitter, or whether it can be used in other parts of the city. It's be a pity if that feature isn't available.

As things stand, I wouldn't be inclined to recommend Ripwave to anyone who could get a wired connection - DSL or cable. The €30 price is it's main advantage, and some people might find the 1 month contract attractive (though it's only attractive if you don't have to pay an "installation charge" - I don't know if they've got their first 2,000 users signed up yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off topic stuff split to a new thread here.

Advertisement