Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lock up your daughters, Bill is on the way

• 22-08-2004 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I was going to say Bill Clinton is coming but that would have been misconstrued ;)

Anyway, if ya didn't know already he's signing his book in Easons on Wednesday between 9 and 10.30am. I bought the book a while back so I might just head in there and get my copy signed although it says on the website only books bought "at the event" willl be signed. I'm going to phone them tomorrow and see if I can bring the book in as I still have the receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

alleepally wrote:
    only books bought "at the event" willl be signed.
    I heard mention that this is a security issue, not a commercial one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I heard the first 100 through the door get a free generic 'Big Bill' cigar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Hmmm, better you go in and ask him too sign your trousers instead :eek:, or should that be "your dress/skirt" ?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Victor wrote:

haha what bull, sercurity issue.........classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i've bought my eggs already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Victor wrote:

Never thought of that. Trying to imagine what security issues could be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

What would you have bought if George was coming? Of course George is unlikely to be even able to write his name - the 3 lettered version - let alone write a book! :)

Paddy20 wrote:
    Hmmm, better you go in and ask him too sign your trousers instead :eek:, or should that be "your dress/skirt" ?...
    He is only signing **books** bought at the event.

Is it protocol that all ex US presidents are always referred to as Mr. President? Just that Eason's website says

"We are expecting large numbers of customers to attend this event and we hope to have as many people meet President Clinton as possible. We appreciate your co-operation in this matter."

And Miriam O'Callaghan ended her interview with Clinton on Prime Time with "Thank you, Mr. President." - this may have been after they had a romp on floor of course - she did look a little bit flushed
    :p

Oh ! deary me, sorry Victor*, but the world loves a trier, and Clinton should know. As he's tried it on with everyone AFAIK. :cool:

• Advertisement

All ex-Presidents are indeed still referred to as Mr. President after they leave office.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Oh ! deary me, sorry Victor*, but the world loves a trier, and Clinton should know. As he's tried it on with everyone AFAIK. :cool:

You're response made me laugh anyway Paddy!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i might mossy along down there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Flukey wrote:
    All ex-Presidents are indeed still referred to as Mr. President after they leave office.

Thats all well and good for americans but what strikes me as strange is that other counties say it too. The irish news for example always says "President Bush" or "President Clinton" and not "American president George Bush/Bill Clinton". Why is that, hes not our president after all and its not done for other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Paddy20 wrote:

If one person asks for the 'Bill special' then everyone'll want it. Soon you'll have a queue 100 deep looking for 'evidence' of meeting of the great man .... and whilst I reckon he could manage triple figures in a single sitting I just don't think he'd have the time.

That is the protocol. Diplomatic protocol usually means using a title associated with an individual in their own country. You will hear "American" at times, but once it is established who we are talking about, that is not really necessary. You'll also hear the term "President..." being used to refer to others, and once we hear the name we know exactly who we are talking about, often without need to mention the country. If we mention Queen Elizabeth, we don't need to say which country it is. Not many people here wouldn't know who Bill Clinton or GWB are, so it isn't often necessary to qualify it with mentioning the country. Out of diplomatic protocol and respect it is the norm to use their title.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats all well and good for americans but what strikes me as strange is that other counties say it too. The irish news for example always says "President Bush" or "President Clinton" and not "American president George Bush/Bill Clinton". Why is that, hes not our president after all and its not done for other countries.

Do you get a bit confused when the media call them 'President'?

Anyway, as said above - it is seen as good practice to first state something in long form ('the American President'…) then shorter form then after – the use of 'President' is continued because it is a respected formal title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

he is probably 3 times my age but i'd still get with him...even though i don't think hillary would appreciate that. :p

he is probably 3 times my age but i'd still get with him...even though i don't think hillary would appreciate that. :p

You know, he is nearly as attractive as me, and I'm older ;) Just think about my signature ?.... yum,yum.

Paddy20 wrote:
    You know, he is nearly as attractive as me, and I'm older ;) Just think about my signature ?.... yum,yum.
    Perv, she's how old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Victor wrote:
    Perv, she's how old?
    too old for bill anyway

Victor wrote:
    Perv, she's how old?

Victor,

At my age, it's a case of "Beggar's can't be choosers" :) ?..

Anyone pass by Eason's this evening. Is there a queue there already? The Examiner reported today that Eason's are expecting people to start queueing tonight..

I was on O'Connell Street early, but I didn't even look in that direction. I don't think there will be that big of a queue. It is not like the Harry Potter books, when there were queues the night beforehand.

Just watched the RTE news and it was the lead item (go figure) They had an interview with 2 women who are already queuing!

It was far from the lead story, but it was featured on the news on Network 2 tonight too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

Originally Posted by Victor
    Perv, she's how old?

im 18 so i guess its not too young.but still a bit far fetched anyway :p .heck did you see salman rushdies wife? HOW the hell did he bag her? her:tall slim young sexy indian sex kitten him: plump short pig faced writer. ahh guess its luuve

just back from the book signing

i went with my friend, collin, he went and bought a book, (we waited from 1am),

anyway we went into eason's @ 7:45, and he didnt arrive till 9:20, we stood and waited...

now when collin went up to get his book signed, the secret service guy ussered me aglong with collin, and when collins book was signed, he asked me where my book was, i said (truthfull) i cant afford one untill i get payed...

he picked up one of the books beside him on the stand, and signed it, and said, here, have this.....

I GOT A FREE SIGNED COPY OF BILL CLINTONS AUTOBIOAGRAPHY FOR FREE OF THE PRESSIDENT HIMSELF.....

(posting from the broadband studio on henry street at the mo....)

just back from the book signing

I GOT A FREE SIGNED COPY OF BILL CLINTONS AUTOBIOAGRAPHY FOR FREE OF THE PRESSIDENT HIMSELF.....

(posting from the broadband studio on henry street at the mo....)

Brilliant! Now THAT is a story to treasure... Fair play to you

I couldn't go in the end as I had to open up my shop as I couldn't get anyone to cover me. How big was the queue at 1am last night. It was massive when I passed this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

alleepally wrote:
    Brilliant! Now THAT is a story to treasure... Fair play to you

I couldn't go in the end as I had to open up my shop as I couldn't get anyone to cover me. How big was the queue at 1am last night. It was massive when I passed this morning.

At 11:20 it was non-existant more or less. I was going by on the bus and there was virtually no one there.

Sigh. He's gone now, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I dunno but my brother left the house at 5am this morning so he'd be there for 5.45. Agent Smith ur a lucky guy!

now when collin went up to get his book signed, the secret service guy ussered me aglong with collin, and when collins book was signed, he asked me where my book was, i said (truthfull) i cant afford one untill i get payed...

he picked up one of the books beside him on the stand, and signed it, and said,

Agent Smith,*

I hope you have given that story to the National Press, Dublin Evening papers & TV & Radio. They would just love that story.If you have not as yet. Start calling NOW while the story is still 'HOT'?..

Good luck.

(posting from the broadband studio on henry street at the mo....)[/QUOTE]

it's a special story i can tell my kid's and grandkid's....i wouldnt be into going to the press tbh...

Flukey wrote:
    It was far from the lead story, but it was featured on the news on Network 2 tonight too.

Unless I had a blackout, it was the lead story on the 9 o'clock news on RTE1.

it's a special story i can tell my kid's and grandkid's....i wouldnt be into going to the press tbh...

You could dress up and maintain your anonymity !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's cool. I would have gone, but I didn't want to spend that much money on A book I wouldn't read.
    If I had know he was giving out free ones.. :D

i think it might have been a once off, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

fair play. (makes me teary)

Advertisement