Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM announce new schedule

Options
  • 22-08-2004 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Monday to Friday 5 - 7 Ann Marie will continue to keep you company in the early mornings.

Ian and the breakfast crew will still wake you up at 7 o'clock each weekday but will leave you at the earlier time of 9 o'clock to make way for D'arcy.

Ray and his team will now entertain you from 9 - 12, listen in for some exciting new features.

NEW* Tony Fenton joins Today FM to take you from 12 - 2 each weekday. He will play a mix of current and classic hits along with some great interactive features.

Phil will do his usual from 2 - 5, taking us into the evening as you know it.

Sunday evenings begin with a new show from our early bird Ann-Marie, taking you through the 80's from A-Z.

This means Alison brings you The Last Splash from 8 - 10.

Ray Foley now blasts you with The Blast 10 - 12

Good to see Tony Fenton back on the radio again. Not sure why Ian Dempsey has been cut by an hour though. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

moshpit77 wrote:
    Good to see Tony Fenton back on the radio again.

Er, No. Not good. Very very bad in fact.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I thought The Last Word was going to be moved in some way too, didn't they say his show would pick up with the new schedule?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh God no.
    Tony Fenton is back.
    I'll have to avoid Today FM now.
    Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

moshpit77 wrote:
    Good to see Tony Fenton back on the radio again. Not sure why Ian Dempsey has been cut by an hour though. Any ideas?

The main reason for the changed schedule is to allow Ray D'Arcy to go head to head with Gerry Ryan in a bit of a ratings war.

I'm not too sure about Tony Fenton though a bit too cheesy for my taste buds. However on the bright side that clown Phil Cawley has his sow cut by an hour which can only be a good thing. How is that guy still on the radio? Apart from having a good "DJ" voice he's a self righteous, self promoting twat. Definitley the weak link in the Today FM schedule IMO.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The main reason for the changed schedule is to allow Ray D'Arcy to go head to head with Gerry Ryan in a bit of a ratings war.

Dunno should they sell it as anything like a ratings war. their shows have sod all in common, really, don't they - i mean d'arcy is squarely aimed at lads. Girls are allowed to listen, and all, but by and large it's (and i quote from a mate who's got no small amount of national radio broadcasting behind her) 'Mantastic'.

Ryans forte is (and nowt wrong with this) is sounding in control at all times, and mouthing off with his own opinions. Personally i can't stand him, but almost 20 years at the same thing, he must be doing something right.

d'arcy, on the other hand, is slowly but surely elevating shambolic rambling in-joke driven radio to new heights. With a script which is seemingly put together by an endless supply of students and sales-reps, it's a more listener based show...

it's gonna be interesting to see how it pans out. Ryan will come out tops, but i think d'arcy will hold his own quite well...

oh - and yeah - jesus that Phil Cawley gets on my wick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ray D'Arcy is playing down the whole Gerry Vs. Ray thing (and probably wisely so), he makes the point that 9am is a better time to change from 'breakfast' to 'morning' - and he is right, how many commute after 9, kids are in school, etc, etc.

The thing that disappoints me about the TodayFM schedule is that some of their best programming has been messed about / not replaced. The River of Soul was an excellent show, now replaced by some of the usual 80's classic formula broadcasting. And they have moved d.dineen out to a midnight start (no so bad in and of itself, but fill the gap between Tom and Donal with "Ray Foley"?).

Also, I wonder what is happening to 'Friday Night 80's' - retained to give us 80's shows a weekend, or making way for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dunno should they sell it as anything like a ratings war. their shows have sod all in common, really, don't they - i mean d'arcy is squarely aimed at lads. Girls are allowed to listen, and all, but by and large it's (and i quote from a mate who's got no small amount of national radio broadcasting behind her) 'Mantastic'.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I'd say it was more aimed at the 20-35 age bracket including both males and females. Although it does have a certain Lad/Ladette vibe to it with a lot of the content of the show being about relationships and the like. It's definitely listener based as most of the subjects that they use are of a result of somebody either texting or e-mailing the show.

Gerry Ryan on the other hand is a Muppet! His show is primarily aimed at mothers and housewives. It is not normal for a grown man to know so much about women's problems, unless of course he's a gynaecologist of course. The man think's he's an authority on everything.
    I remember having to listen to his show while working in a previous job and some guy rang up looking for some help. The guy had been to a Sting gig a couple of days previously and had been asked up onstage to perform a song with his idol and he wanted to know if any listeners that had been to the gig had taken any pictures of him while he was on stage.
    So anyway, The All-knowing Gerry asked the guy what song he sang while he was on stage, to which the guy replied "The Bridge" meaning the bridge of a song just before the chorus.
    However, Gerry took it upon himself to waffle on about how great a non-existent song called "The Bridge" was until the guy had to point out Gerry's little faux pas! :rolleyes:

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I'd say it was more aimed at the 20-35 age bracket including both males and females. Although it does have a certain Lad/Ladette vibe to it with a lot of the content of the show being about relationships and the like.

heh - that may be so. However, the bods down abbey st have 'blokes' as the target audience, esp the morning shows...I suppose cos mainly (as you alluded to!) the fairer sex seem to be more into G Ryan. If today FM get 'burds' listening, it's a bonus :D
    ryan as muppet re: sting

that doesn't surprise me at all. knowitall git!!!

Advertisement