Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

giving blood

• 22-08-2004 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

anyone given blood before? gonna go in myself tomorrow to some clinic across from coyote lounge...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think everyone should have to give blood, If your in an accident you take it fast enough...although im one to talk as I have never given blood :rolleyes:

Does it matter if you...partake in certain illegal substances ? does that make your blood crappy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They won't take your blood if you're sick with a virus, for example. Stuff like E or hash wouldn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

are you allowed to give blood if you have tattoos? i think ''no'' is the answer but i'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

are you allowed to give blood if you have tattoos? i think ''no'' is the answer but i'm not sure.
    Not for the first 12 months but after that they'll happily take it.

Info on who can and can't here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I've given blood about 6 or 7 times by now, and pretty much only because i get free guinness afterwards... oh and to help my fellow man.
    Im Type o Negative
    just like the band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Giving blood is fine. They usually set up in a big hall, set up a few screens, put out a few trolley-beds, then there's a 'receptionist' when you go in. Speak to him/her, tell them you want to donate and it's your first time, they'll give you a long form to fill out.

Form asks for all the standard stuff - name, address, age, blah blah. Then it asks questions that go through your personal history to some degree - have you had a tattoo or a body piercing in the last 12 months, have you ever injected a substance with a syringe, have you ever had sex with a gay man, or had sex with a man who you know is bisexual, are you on medication and if so what, have you had a cold/flu in the last week and so on.

Based on your answers, they accept or reject your application. If they reject you, they'll go through the reasons why with you. If they accept you, you go sit in a waiting chair.

First time you're called from the waiting chair will be for an anaemia test - you go to the nurse, discuss anything you're unsure of on the form, he/she will use a little plastic device with a tiny sharp point on the inside of it to prick your finger and take a drop of blood. They drop the blood into a wee liquid container, if it sinks you're fine, if it floats your iron levels are a bit low.

If your blood sinks, back to the waiting chair for your donation turn. When you get called you'll go to a trolley, lie down and a nurse comes to you, they wrap a blood pressure band around the top of your arm to get the blood to flow, then put a needle in the crook of your elbow. They'll fill three or four vials with blood for testing - these go off to the lab to make sure you've not got anything you may have fibbed about on your form, or been unaware that you've contracted. It also gets tested for bloodtype etc. Then they take a pint of blood (they basically switch packages on the other end of the line that you're bleeding through - vial to vial to bloodbag - you feel none of this, they don't go adjusting the needle to do it or anything).

Once they're done, they take out the needle and hold some cotton wool against your elbow. Then you get a plaster, you need to make sure you're not light-headed, then some biccies and tea and off you trundle, feeling like you've done something useful. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

And of course afterwards you can be as anti-social as you like with the biccies, gobbling them away muttering "mine, mine". Or is that just my own unique reaction to giving blood. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Tyrrial wrote:
    I've given blood about 6 or 7 times by now, and pretty much only because i get free guinness afterwards... oh and to help my fellow man.
    Im Type o Negative
    just like the band.

I thought they stopped giving Guinness after donating.
    I heard it was just tea and biscuits now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Manach wrote:
    And of course afterwards you can be as anti-social as you like with the biccies, gobbling them away muttering "mine, mine". Or is that just my own unique reaction to giving blood. :)
    No, no thats what their for :)

The only problem I have with giving blood is that youre there a couple of hours for something that could take 10 minutes. Oh well, civic duty and all that, I always go when they're in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the best way is to convince your work to have a blood donors day. that way you get guinness and an hour off work, and you might even be able to 'feel suddenly faint' and have to go home/pub to recuperate. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Gurgle wrote:
    No, no thats what their for :)

The only problem I have with giving blood is that youre there a couple of hours for something that could take 10 minutes. Oh well, civic duty and all that, I always go when they're in town.

In my local donations office you just make an appointment so that you're not waiting around too long. Last time took me about 30mins but the thing that I love most about giving blood is the plentiful supply of Cadburys Mini Rolls and such an excuse to eat about 3 on the spot.

the thing that I love most about giving blood is the plentiful supply of Cadburys Mini Rolls and such an excuse to eat about 3 on the spot.
    Cadburys mini rolls ?
    We don't get them!
    Damn, life is so unfair. I want mini rolls in exchange for my blood. I'd even donate other bodily fluids for mini rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

This has probably been posted up before, but I did a very quick search and didn't find it. Can anyone just post up a little list of the donation centres in the city (pref. Southside / D4 area).
    I'd like to donate some of my good stuff in a week or 2 after I get over this damn cold.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think giving blood is great. I mean it's not something I'm going to do, but that's only because I'm not allowed donate under their current system. TBH, all the ads on the DART I think are quite good in guilt-tripping people. Good campaign and, like I said, I would if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Loads about voluntary bleeding here

I hadn't given blood in ireland for years and got the whole rigmarole about needles, gay sex, hard drugs, tatoos, etc.

Now - i live in a small town, so when they started on this i said to the nurse - 'have you walked around *insert name of town here*...do you HONESTLY thing I've snorted crack cocaine off a gay tattoo-artists knob in the last six months'

Oh - and didn't get min-rolls, or guinness - just tea/biccies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

They have a permanent clinic beside the Stillorgan shopping centre where you can make an appointment so you wont be waiting around for hours also you can find out where the mobile units are from the following link http://www.ibts.ie/clinic_search.cfm?mID=4&sID=89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.ibts.ie/clinic_search.cfm?mID=4&sID=89
    Click on your county and it gives a schedule of clinics.
    To answer Sleipnir's question, they still give Guinness in Limerick anyway, and Heineken too, I think. I stick to the tea and biscuits though, and there's no mini-rolls either :(

I'd never give blood in this country because of the RIDICULOUS rules they have prohibiting such a huge amount of the population.
    Well, I can NEVER give blood anyway, because I lived in the UK during the 80's! So anytime i'm in Belfast I give blood. If they don't want my blood here....i'll let the people in Northern Ireland have it.
    Also - you're only in for about 30-40 mins normally when you're giving blood, the first time takes longer as you have to fill in forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

my brother used to give blood, but it affected him so badly (for some unknown reason) that he had to stop or he would lose his job. He could work for a few days afterwards he just felt sh1tty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Q3000 wrote:
    They have a permanent clinic beside the Stillorgan shopping centre where you can make an appointment so you wont be waiting around for hours also you can find out where the mobile units are from the following link http://www.ibts.ie/clinic_search.cfm?mID=4&sID=89
    Thats where they have the mini rolls too so well worth the visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

da_deadman wrote:
    Can anyone just post up a little list of the donation centres in the city (pref. Southside / D4 area).

the only one I know is the main one on Dolier St, just around the corner from Westmoreland St.

In fact I'll be there tomorrow evening, cause they rang today looking for me! Come 6:30 I'll be sipping Guinness and eating mini rolls from their canteen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah thats the one I go to too, they have nice stuff, like mini rolls as well :p I think everyone who can should have to give blood at least twice a year - I mean its not that much trouble to do once every every six months or so. and it generally doesn't take too long in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

my brother used to give blood, but it affected him so badly (for some unknown reason) that he had to stop or he would lose his job. He could work for a few days afterwards he just felt sh1tty

Ah... well hopefully thats the worse that could happen? I want to go in for my first time soon; and wouldn't want to end up flat on my face etc heading out.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Gurgle wrote:

Oh, so it's not just where I go that takes hours for a 10-20 minute procedure! Only been giving blood for about a year now. The free Guinness is always handy! :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i give blood in the city center, no biggy, i'd recomend it to everyone, not only for free mini rolls and guinness, but for getting like 40-70 pen's and pencils every time, as well as car sitcker's and Badge's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

You would think with advances in biotechnology and genetic engineering over the last few years they would be able to make blood in a lab? They could manufacture as much as needed and it would be much safer - no contamination with AIDs, hepatitis etc

In fact I believe in the USA before the AIDs thing came along they used to pay students, vagrants etc to give blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Where do you donate sperm and how much do you get paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

apparently im not allowed to give blood cos im gay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Zhane wrote:

according to their rules if you've had sex with a guy and happen to be a guy (even with protection), you can't donate. i'm sure they must have a good reason for it.

• Advertisement

Zhane wrote:

Nothing personal but gay or straight most random punters who donate blood are people I'd rather not share a bathroom with let alone bodily fluids. :D

If, God forbid, I was in an accident where I needed a transfusion and I had the choice between donated blood and something "brewed" in a laboratory I would go for the latter. Not trying to put down people who donate blood but AIDs came along and got into the transfusion system before anyone knew what was happening. People got infected before preventative action was taken. The same thing has probably happened with CJD. With the best will in the world how do we know that the next nasty (or nastier) virus or prion timebomb is not in blood being donated daily by all you good people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i gave blood when the roadshow pulled up in dunshaughlin...

but i've one gripe.

They never sent me out that letter with my blood type on it, and they have me registered as Ms. Vincent Lawlor.

and they're in the medical profession? i'm damn sure i ticked the male box!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Tyrrial wrote:
    Im Type o Negative
    just like the band.

Hey Tyrrial...Type o neg...You know what that makes you ?

t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tusky wrote:
    Does it matter if you...partake in certain illegal substances ? does that make your blood crappy ?
    Do you think if a doctor gives someone codeine that they want that does upped with some heroin?

Victor wrote:
    Do you think if a doctor gives someone codeine that they want that does upped with some heroin?
    There are questions on the form about injected drugs. To me at least that means they don't care what you smoked.
    :D
    (They've never sent any of mine back anyhow)
    Zhane wrote:
    Yeah, they are a bit on the restrictive side about who can donate, while at the same time complaining about there not being enough doners.

As a state organization, they have to be way over-cautious or they would end up in another tribunal. This is Ireland after all, there are plenty of peasants & drones who would go ballistic if they knew the blood they got could have come from someone of such persuasion.

pork99 wrote:
    You would think with advances in biotechnology and genetic engineering over the last few years they would be able to make blood in a lab? They could manufacture as much as needed and it would be much safer - no contamination with AIDs, hepatitis etc

They can, the blood plasma that's in the bags of blood at the blood bank is synthetic, they just use your red and white platelets.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    They can, the blood plasma that's in the bags of blood at the blood bank is synthetic, they just use your red and white platelets.

Interesting

Is anyone researching a means of making platelets I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The restrictions are crazy in fairness. Not accepting blood donations from gay men is blatent discrimination. Assuming it stems from gay men being a higher risk category for AIDS/HIV due to their sexual practices, why is there no bar on women who have indulged in anal sex? Same activity, exact same risk level.

Also, why can't they just accept the donations, place them in the fridge while a sample of the donation is checked for the various different things that can contaminate it?

Sleepy wrote:
    Also, why can't they just accept the donations, place them in the fridge while a sample of the donation is checked for the various different things that can contaminate it?

That protects us against known contaminants.

I know it's improbable but what if there is a new virus, even deadlier than AIDs, which let's say infects middle class white men in their 40s and 50s - (maybe something they catch on golf courses :D ) which takes another couple of years to present itself and therefore there would be no test for it? The prohibition on gays would look a bit silly then wouldn't it?

Sleepy wrote:
    The restrictions are crazy in fairness. Not accepting blood donations from gay men is blatent discrimination. Assuming it stems from gay men being a higher risk category for AIDS/HIV due to their sexual practices, why is there no bar on women who have indulged in anal sex? Same activity, exact same risk level.

It *is* discrimination. HETEROSEXUALS have a higher rate of HIV infection than homosexuals!

You can't ever give blood here if you've had sex with an African is another ridiculous rule. I'm assuming all blood donations are _screened_ for diseases and virii, otherwise what's to stop gay Africans who lived in the UK during the 80's and 90's who've just recently gotten a tattoo from giving blood?

We really do have *ridiculous* rules for giving blood in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I gave blood 2 or 3 time a year at home in the north. Can't here.
    wrote:
    You have spent 3 years or more in total in the United Kingdom between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996 (this is to protect against any risk of vCJD transmission via blood). The United Kingdom includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

I love this one. Do they not trust their own procedures?
    wrote:
    You have received a blood transfusion in the Republic of Ireland since 1 January 1980.

Does this include if you are in hospital?
    wrote:
    You have ever used a needle to take drugs of any kind

They should stop bitching about shortages of blood. It seems to be their own fault. It seems like an over correction to compensate for the balls up they made with hep.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I gave blood about six months ago but they never sent me out one of those cards that make me feel good about myself. I was mad into the hot Spanish nurses they had floating around looking after the donors though, I almost touched her sweet bum during a dizzy spell.

MrPudding wrote:
    It seems like an over correction to compensate for the balls up they made with hep.
    Yep.

Apparently there is a 2 week window where HIV is contagious but not detectable in the blood (by the blood banks test anyway). The typical Irish beauracracy answer is to stop gays from donating.

Yes I just realised this last night, but as I said before, what is to STOP someone with HIV from donating blood? Donated blood has a shelf life of only a few days, and HIV can't be detected for a few weeks under normal tests.

An unsettling thought, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

First things first: If you've smoked any dope in the week or so before the test, they'll find it in your blood, and they won't take it. Happened to a friend in Belfast. After all, you can't have patients waking up stoned in hospital :)

Then: The reason they refuse so many people from donating is because of the HIV scandal. They could put in better screening, but they don't have the money so they just turn people away. It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other really. If they take everyone, they overstretch themselves and risk saving someone's life with a pint of blood and giving them HIV at the same time. If they take less people, then they don't have enough blood, but at least it keeps them out of the media.....

First things first: If you've smoked any dope in the week or so before the test, they'll find it in your blood, and they won't take it. Happened to a friend in Belfast. After all, you can't have patients waking up stoned in hospital :)
    I can personally definitively refute that claim.
    :D

As for waking up stoned - Thats the best thing that could possibly happen. They should be grateful for getting painkiller-enhanced blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭CareBear

I would never give blood. I've got the lowest pain threshold ever. Saw my friend takin her blood sugar level and I blackout for a while. horrible experience. If it was an emergency I would but otherwise no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Well, yesterday on my way home, I decided to actually go into the blood clinic in Dolier Street rather than walk past it like I usually do, and give blood for the first time (I had no plans for the evening and basicly thought, "why the hell not"). So, for all you newbies (now that I'm no longer amongst you :) ), heres exactly what happens.

Walk in, sit down at a desk, woman takes your name and dob, and then says "You haven't been here before, have you?". Once this is established, she hands you a form, which you fill in at a seat and leave in a box, this takes about 10 mins, covers all the obvious questions along with some innocent sounding ones like "Have you spent more than 3 years in the UK since 1980?" or "Have you done coke in the past year?"

Then you are called in to be interviewed by a nurse who asks you a bit about your medical history, as well as asking you things like "Have you ever had anal or oral sex from another man?" with an alarmingly straight face.

Next thing, you get sent up to the iron tester, who basicly says that he's going to test your iron level, and puts your hand on a red pad on the desk, thats wired up to a little red machine. He tells you that this is an iron tester and that it'll test your blood to see that you're not anaemic and stuff, is that OK? You say yes, he says "Hang on a second, and your iron count should appear on the machine" and as soon as you look away he touches your finger with a little pen that takes a sample of your blood, with a feeling not unlike being pinched. It made me jump and he laughed and said "Hey, had to get your blood somehow, don't worry, the worst part of your entire time here is over". He looked at my iron count and asked if I'd had dinner. I hadn't, and he knew it, so he pulled out a Mars bar and a carton of orange and said "Eat these or get some free food from the canteen, and then we'll take your blood." I duly ate them, and then he sent me into the donation room, full of chairs not entirely unlike lazy boys.

You sit down, and a band is put around your arm, and you're given a squeezy toy. You lie back, and a nurse chats to you for a minute while she monitors you blood presusre and stuff, with a machine that goes ping. Then a doctor comes over and says that they're now ready to take your blood, that they're going to put the needle in now. She then took one look at my arm and said "You work with computers, don't you?" I said yes, she replyed "You can always tell by the arms, the keyboard side veins are usually practicly invisible and very hard to reach, hopefully this won't hurt a bit". She stuck the needle in, and missed the vein. Again, felt like a fairly hard pinch. She apologised, and said they'd give it another go if that was OK with me. I agreed, and she hit it the second time, and it was virtually painless.

The doctor moved on, and the nurse kept chatting, reminding me every so often to squeeze the bone toy I had in my hand. 15 mins later it was all done, they stuck a plaster on, and I was left to rest for a few minutes, feeling a bit dozy, but no more than that, before going the canteen, where they supplied me with sandwitches, chocolate, crisps and orange, all free. Jokingly I said to the woman at the counter "Don't you serve Guinness any more?" "Only to those who ask for it." she replied, pulling a bottle of Guinness out from under the counter. I ate and drank my fill, pretty slowly because the arm the needle had been in was quite stiff, and felt the drowiness lift. In 15 mins I was as right as rain, apart from a stiff left arm, and I continued on my merry way.

Overall, a pretty good experience, surprisingly relaxing and enjoyable, fairly little pain (just 2 pinches, and 15 minutes of an uncomfortable tickling sensation in your arm), a stiff arm for the evening, with free food, drink and friendly company. I'll be donating again in a few months time I think :)

Oh my god that's such a load of rubbish :) The only drugs they're worried about really are intravenous (like heroin) or intranasal (like coke) drugs, as you can catch HIV from the process of taking these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

eth0_ wrote:
    It *is* discrimination. HETEROSEXUALS have a higher rate of HIV infection than homosexuals!

You can't ever give blood here if you've had sex with an African is another ridiculous rule. I'm assuming all blood donations are _screened_ for diseases and virii, otherwise what's to stop gay Africans who lived in the UK during the 80's and 90's who've just recently gotten a tattoo from giving blood?

We really do have *ridiculous* rules for giving blood in this country.
    It's insanity. Nonetheless, given that I meet their criteria I've booked myself into the clinic in Stillorgan tonight for the first time.

And by the way, what's to just stop people from lying on their donation forms? Surely if the African guy you talk about was to go in and point blank lie on the forms they'd still take his blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How do you get HIV from taking coke?
    eth0_ wrote:
    Oh my god that's such a load of rubbish :) The only drugs they're worried about really are intravenous (like heroin) or intranasal (like coke) drugs, as you can catch HIV from the process of taking these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement