Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Router 802.11g

• 23-08-2004 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

All.

(New to Wireless.)
    Im looking to network house for gaming and was thinking of using wireless to connect PC's to Broadband. From what I have read I think I need a 802.11g wireless router ( I want to future proof it as best I can ).

Will wireless cause any gaming probems, latency etc. ?

Is 11g the best to go for, latest ?

If so could someone recommend a router to me ?

Can I mix and match the Wireless cards ? like NIC's and is their anything I should be on the look for >

Appreciate any help/advice
    Thanks in advance.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well i got a Netgear, for 168 euros delivered from www.dslwarehouse.co.uk (click EIRE at top)and you get a free wireless card with it. 11g IS the latest standard... i connect to around 48mbps upstarirs, out of 58. Ive only tried kalleira emulator for online and my ping is pretty good, same as downstairs... i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Can I mix and match the Wireless cards ?

In theory, yes. In practice, it will be less hassle to set up if you use router and cards from the same manufacturer. Also, if you're tempted by any of the "Turbo", "11g Plus", etc, varieties out there, you definitely have to use one manufacturer, as these are all proprietary extensions of the open 802.11g standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tomk wrote:
    In theory, yes. In practice, it will be less hassle to set up if you use router and cards from the same manufacturer. Also, if you're tempted by any of the "Turbo", "11g Plus", etc, varieties out there, you definitely have to use one manufacturer, as these are all proprietary extensions of the open 802.11g standard.
    Well, that's if you want to use the "turbo" extensions. :)

Don't worry about mixing and matching too much. The standards are just that - wireless hardware should work nicely together. Just make sure, as tomk says, that if you buy anything that claims to be able to go to 108Mbps, that you configure it for 802.11g only, without turbo or any crap like that, unless the router and manufacturer are the same.

Tried out "Turbo" on my router, Wireless NIC also claimed it could do the 108Mbps, but both were different manufacturers, continued to connect at 54Mbps, and kept disconnecting....

Wireless shouldn't cause any problem from Gaming. Since it's a LAN you'll be running on, then most of your bottlenecks as regards latency and general speed will occur at the broadband connection, not in the LAN (unless you're getting a like, 20Mbit connection :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Hi,

Currently in my house we have a network of computers, the layout consists of 4 PC's.

1) The main one which has the Router/Broadband Connection (Downstairs).
    2) My brothers in his Room (Wireless Ariel - Upstairs)
    3) My Laptop (Wireless PCMCIA Card - Mainly Upstairs)
    4) Connected by Cable to main PC, this is because they are only a couple of feet apart. (Downstairs)

Personally I find it better to have a wireless network on the laptop because of the mobility aspect. Although go for cables when possible with the desktop PC's this is as they will not need the portability of Wireless and you also get a faster connection and better reliability with cables.

Thanks for reading,

Youssef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Great all,

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Great all,

Thanks for the help.

What router did you decide to go for? In a similar situation myself.

Netgear DG834G( http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=DG834G&pm=1517 )looks nice but is it worth spending 150euro or will a cheaper make work just as well?

Would this 3COM from komplett ( http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118982&cks=PRL ) do the same job?

That 3Com does't include a DSL modem, so you'd need one of those as well.

If you got an Ethernet DSL modem from your ISP, that should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Yeah I got the ZyXEL 630 from Esat. Will that work with any/all of them?

Like I said...
    tomk wrote:
    If you got an Ethernet DSL modem from your ISP

The 630 is USB only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Netgear DG834G( http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=DG834G&pm=1517 )looks nice but is it worth spending 150euro or will a cheaper make work just as well?

I have one. I highly recommend it. Its cheaper on amazon

• Advertisement
Advertisement