Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN between two homes

Options
  • 23-08-2004 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Ya

I posted this up before but did not get much of a response. Also tried searching for VPN but nothing is returned as three characters is too short.

I have broadband in my own house in Dublin (A) and my parents (B) also have it in their house down the country. There is occassions where I need to access the computer in my parents house and so on.

What is needed so I can browse network A from B and B from A. Is it correct to assume that to access B from A, I would need a VPN router in B and have a software client on A? If I wanted to browse from A to B and B to A, would I then need a VPN router at both end of would one suffice?

Also, what method is used to browse a network? Does it appear as if the remote user in on the LAN? Also, could you play a multiplayer game over it, i.e. someone in A starts a LAN game and someone in B could join?

I hope someone can help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I posted this up before but did not get much of a response.

Actually, I thought my initial response was quite good, ;) although I admit I didn't respond to your follow up questions to the same standard.

If you only want access in one direction e.g. access network A from client on network B, then you only need one VPN server on network A, and one VPN client on the machine on network B that requires access. Where I work we call that a client-to-site VPN

If you want full network access for all machines in both directions, you need VPN servers at both ends - a site-to-site VPN.

The network browsing method will depend on the network protocols in use. If we're talking about Windoze networking, then the remote network will be accessible through Network Neighbourhood (or whatever it's called these days). Your gaming should be fine too.

I'll repeat my original recommendation i.e. get Smoothwall running on an old PC in both locations. You can also go out and buy the necessary hardware/software if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

For a VPN, dynamic to dynamic IP is tricky at best (at least I always found it so).

1. make sure there is decent connection speed on both ends. 56k is possible but not worht it in the amount of hair you will lose over connection issues. ISDN is ok, a bit jumpy though.

2. At least one end of the VPN to be static. Dynamic to dynamic is possible but overloaded with problems. Note: the link can only be brought up from the Dynamic side.

3. Firewall to firewall VPNs are nicer (imho) that software to firewall. Sentinel is usable but a pain to configure properly. Better to get two router / firewall combos, (the zyxel 652 or 650 for example) - linksys make decent dsl gateways with VPN capabilities but I have never set them up - and use terminal services for remote control of PC. Alternatives include VNC , laplink, PC anywhere or just typing the address of the PC preceeded by \\ in start>>run to see shared folders etc. (last one isnt very good though imho).

have a look HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheTick

I've never been able to get multiplayer gaming to work over a VPN (make LAN games visible at both sites). I think the problem was with the ability to send and receive broadcasts packets (needed in multiplayer gaming). I've tried some programs (don't remember which) that claim to forward on these broadcast packets but no joy, anyone know how to get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi lads, thanks for the reply. I had a look for Smoothwall and it seems pretty useful. Would it be able to remove the need for a DSL modem/router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hi lads, thanks for the reply. I had a look for Smoothwall and it seems pretty useful. Would it be able to remove the need for a DSL modem/router?

no, You'll still need to plug the smoothwall machine into a dsl modem/router.

Gav

• Advertisement

Verb wrote:
    no, You'll still need to plug the smoothwall machine into a dsl modem/router.

Gav

And this router would have to support VPN pass through yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yup I'd imagine so. Haven't done it over DSL myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Try Ipcop instead of Smoothwall, virtually identical, but IpCop handles VPNs a little better.

What kind of modems do you use? Ethernet is better than USB if you have them.

I have setup the kind of VPN that you are trying to do with dynamic IPs each end. It's doable, with some mucking about.

Both broadband connections have static IPs.

Site A has a DLink DSL "modem" connected to a 3COM gateway while site B has a DLink router. Everything is connected through cat 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

The ideal would be that you would use a modem, or a router in "modem" mode, also referred to as "bridge" mode. This setup will deliver the public static IP address to Smoothwall's WAN interface (referred to as the RED interface in Smoothie docs).

So in site A, you plug the D-Link modem in to Smoothie, and in site B, you check the router manual and/or website for the "bridge mode" settings.

Post the router model no - someone may have already done this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement