Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ctyi made the papers...again

Options
  • 23-08-2004 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

fridays examiner, the money and jobs section, there was a good half page piece on ctyi. it had unlike most of the previous articals, no interviews with students and seemed to focus mainly on the academics. i know i havnt put a copy of the artical up, but i just wanted to know if anyone else saw it? i only saw it by chance, i was on the bus and i saw a headline and subsiquently 'borrowed' the paper. it had the usual bright children etc stuff, but yeah, what did anyone else think of it if they saw it. and if anyone felt like finding a copy and putting it up here, cos im just to lazy. anyway..yeah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Schools let gifted children down

By Niall Murray, Education Correspondent
    GIFTED children are in danger of dropping out early because schools are ill-equipped to help them, an expert has warned.Irish Centre for Talented Youth (CTYI) director Sheila Gilheany estimates up to 23,000 people fall into the category of gifted children.

But they need assistance and extra resources at primary and second level to help them achieve their potential, she said.

“If school work doesn’t challenge them enough, they can become frustrated. They can also feel isolated and not want to go to school,” she said.

“There is a risk of children dropping out of school because they become so demoralised by the age of 15 or 16.”

In a submission to the Oireachtas Education Committee last week, Ms Gilheany recommended specific teacher training courses, dedicated school policy and systematic talent identification methods for schools.

Based at Dublin City University, the CTYI works with about 2,500 children every year. It provides weekend, summer and correspondence courses.

----Thats all that was on the website, woo go sheila! stick it to the man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

um ok... so that must be why i get in trouble in school then yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

Obviously Joyce...U being so smart makes u a messer!!! Yea goo Sheila..Woo
    Woo!!! Damn teachers and their non challenging ways. :confused:

Advertisement