Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course are you doing?! [CAO Results]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

computer science in DIT, its dropped by 80 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Film Production in Dhulaigh, boo yeah! Doesnt even require points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gillzer

subway.ie wrote:
    I know! It went up by about 30 points for the last few years, and now down by FIFTY FIVE. I got 510 and was worried I wouldn't make it... Btw, if it's not already obvious:

GY309 Degree Financial Mathematics and Economics Valid until 31-AUG-2004

Good someone else doing the course, I was beginning to think I was the only eejit with loads more points than I need!
    So, have you any idea what this course is about, cause I haven't got a clue.
    Do u become an actuary out of it? If you got 510 you could have done the actuary course in DCU.
    I've been on the internet all day looking for a house for me and 3 other lads and no joy yet. Seeing as how ur from Galway, can we live with you?! Any advice on getting accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

well i'm off to scotland to do computers :)

cya all!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

.......................and im off to learn carpentry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Gillzer wrote:
    So, have you any idea what this course is about, cause I haven't got a clue.
    Do u become an actuary out of it? If you got 510 you could have done the actuary course in DCU.

Hmmm. Don't really have much of a clue here either... something about maths and economics? Supposed to be mainly statistics and probability (which I hate), calculus (which I like) and economicsy stuff (which I don't know anything about).

I think you can go on to actuary... but it takes awhile. You get the general basics, but you've got to do more courses to pass the actual exams (I think it's a bit like the accountants exams?). I could have done it... but that would mean moving to dublin. Which would be bad.
    I've been on the internet all day looking for a house for me and 3 other lads and no joy yet. Seeing as how ur from Galway, can we live with you?! Any advice on getting accomodation?

Well, eh, I've got a single bed in an apartment... so, errrr, living with me could get a little weird. Advice for getting accommodation - get down to Galway *early* this Wednesday and queue up for the Galway Advertiser - theres always a *huge* queue for it. Bring a few mobile phones and start rining places straight away - demand is usually huge. Just in case you're tempted - STAY AWAY from Corrib Village. Nasty, nasty place. Unless you're into living in the Irish version of Guantanamo Bay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

STAY AWAY from Corrib Village. Nasty, nasty place. Unless you're into living in the Irish version of Guantanamo Bay?

Or as Bertie calls it 'Gwatayama Bay'...
    I second that, I've heard nothing but bad reports about the place.
    Try Dun na Coiribe, or Gort na Coiribe they're just up the road from it (opposite Terryland), and ive been inside one of the apartments and its very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gillzer

Intel wrote:
    Try Dun na Coiribe, or Gort na Coiribe they're just up the road from it (opposite Terryland), and ive been inside one of the apartments and its very nice

Good, this is the kind of advice I need! Any other places to avoid? Is Tirellan in Terryland OK, Im viewing a place there tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Deaf Studies and Irish Sign Language In Trinity College...
    Very Nice,

altho i Didnt Apply Via the Cao, so i dont really know why i cared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i'm going to do medical laboratory science in CIT its my first choice so i am a happy kittie :D:D .i suppose i knew i would get it as it is 450 and i got 540 but i still was a bit nervous that somehow i wouldn't get offered it...ah well i can relax now.i'm going to be a MAD SCIENTIST!!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

I got offered architecture in UCD- delighted! Anyone else on the boards doing architecture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

BESS in trinity. dissoppointed not to get the points for law but I've a feeling that this multi-disciplined course with loads of options is the way to go.

As for the infamous criteria of the typical BESS student who'll fill the majority of the places next year, :rolleyes: the jury's still out..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Pyschology and English Languages in London Metropolitan in '05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cole9

I got Business and Legal studies in UCD 505 points needed and I got 505 so I just scraped it. Anyone else doing this?

Gillzer wrote:
    Good, this is the kind of advice I need! Any other places to avoid? Is Tirellan in Terryland OK, Im viewing a place there tomorrow.

I dunno about Tirellan, but you should try Menlo Park Appartments - a bit closer than Dún Aras and not too dear. If you're trying to get a house yourself, then definetly get into Galway tomorrow to pick up a copy of the advertiser and start ringing/viewing/booking places ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Doin' Buisness and Legal in UCD as well. So delighted to get the points (I got 515) I just got a letter in the post explaining how to buy the (mandatory) laptop.. €1250 for the cheapest one...oh well that's what parents are for I guess :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I got arts in ucd.
    Anyone else going to be an unemployable bum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

I got arts in ucd.

Speaking about employment and arts...Has anyone any idea about what professions arts graduates are most employed.

One of my friends told me that quite a few of them become secondary school teacher in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i suppose that alot of them would, though i also suppose some go in with the intention of being teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/student/sdo.htm

This is what trinity graduates do. Go to arts section to see what they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Finace and Venture management in Maynooth

wow someone else!!!!!

also doin finance&venture management in maynooth...was all up for speech therapy but it went up to 535!!! anyway if anyone wants a house in maynooth PM me cos i've got one to fill!!!! and its lovely and only €70 a week. plus you'd be living with me like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

geo wrote:
    missed out Theoretical Physics in trinity by 20 points (i got 505 ) damm 75 points jump...so far anyways have science in trinity

If last year is anything to go by, it should drop a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

subway.ie wrote:
    Just in case you're tempted - STAY AWAY from Corrib Village. Nasty, nasty place. Unless you're into living in the Irish version of Guantanamo Bay?

:eek:

Well, the first moiety has just been paid... should I be worried?

Cathy wrote:
    :eek:

Well, the first moiety has just been paid... should I be worried?

Ummmmmm... no? No point worrying about it now that you've got it (partially) paid for.
    It's (practically) liveable in, the main down side is just the cost of what you're getting compared to the other places. Cúirt na Coiribe, Gort na Coiribe, Menlo Park, or any other private house/flat you might rent out. Should be fine for first year, but you probably wont go back for second year. But like I said, there's no point in worrying at this stage.

If the worst comes to the worst, then you can just spend all day everyday in the pub and only go back there to sleep (On your own - no visitors after 10pm/12am or something?).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I had heard it was a bit crazy, alright... but I'm the only person I know going to Galway so I figured it'd be better to stay somewhere like CV where there's a load of people... Anyway, I'll survive it for a year. Thinking about booking Gort na Coiribe for next year in the first couple of months, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

I got arts in ucd.

Got the Economics denominated entry, but that's Arts isn't it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Re: Theoretical Physics in Trinity
    Sev wrote:
    If last year is anything to go by, it should drop a fair bit.

Not necessarily, last year was quite a freak. Most years it drops maybe 10 or 15 points in the second round, but considering that it's such a small course (only about 15 places), a small group of students failing to accept their first/second round offers can knock the points down quite a bit. Realistically, it's impossible to predict what, if any, drop we'll see in the points.

I'd also like to state to geo that he might have a little problem with the maths component of the course (about two thirds) if he believes that 525 minus 440 is equal to a 75 point jump, besides the fact that it's actually only a 10 point jump on last year's first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

doing Business and Legal in UCD aswell - just got accomodation sorted in Dublin yesterday and im getting the Aldi laptop tomorrow

cant wait to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I doubt university maths involves much adding and subtracting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

I doubt university maths involves much adding and subtracting

I know, it was meant to be a joke. The actual difference between university level subjects and the leaving cert can be huge, though. For instance, I know people who got A1s in higher level leaving cert english who wouldn't make it past Christmas in a university english course. Of course, I'm sure if you're good enough to get the B3 necessary to get into Theoretical Physics, you shouldn't have much of a problem with the maths therein.

Advertisement