Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers!

Options
  • 23-08-2004 6:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

I got arts in UCD-couldnt be more happy!how about the rest of ye-hope ye got what ye were after!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Electronic Engineering, UCD. Only 330 points, and to think i got 535....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

DC121 Degree Computer Applications Valid until 31-AUG-2004

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Mutant fruit i can tell you that anyone who managed to scrape in to engineering with 330 points will in no way survive first year. i'm in second year now and its pretty tough. Lots of long hours but if you got 535 points you'll have no problem at all come to think of it you'll be able to wing first year on what you know from the LC. Only 3 weeks study before exams in march and you'll do fine. The maths is tough and god help anyone who only managed to get a C3(dont think there are too many of them) they say its a requirement but in truth its a major tool in survival(i know its a B3 for ye elecs) best of luck with it anyway...great course...keep an eye out for scott rickard the elec lecturer an absolute hero!!! Nearly made me want to switch to elec from chemical. Unfortionatly i tried to apply for medicine this year and didn't get in but ah well gonna be a kick ass engineer in 2 years.

Lots of long hours
    How long are these hours? I've heard rumors that it can be as long as 9am-8pm, but i thought that was insane, and ignored it. How many hours lectures/practicals would i be doing on average every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

well i think it was 33hours or maybe more for us last year but you learn quickly how to prioritise and cut this down. It is one of the longest courses in ucd and once you ge over the initial shock of meeting the pre-meds on their 8hours and the law ppl with 10 you realise its not too bad. After all most of the work you do in lectures is all you need to do. you're not expected to go to the library till bout march where every one else has to be reading and all that. You wont be in later than 6 any day but that was only coz we had a language which i believe they're scrapping from nxt year(its optional but just dont do it....its a pile of rubbish). You can check out the timetable here and count them up but would't get too excited just yet! http://www.ucd.ie/engineer/timetable/elec1s1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

I got offered architecture in UCD- delighted! Anyone else on the boards doing architecture? Are any of ye applying for student accomodation- does anyone know if you have a good chance of getting it? thanks

the_viper2kie: OMG OMG OMG! Will Rod Gow by my maths lecturer? I'm presuming "lewis, gow" means i'll have either lewis or gow as my maths lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Rod Gow = the inanimate carbon rod.
    I had him for linear algebra in first year...*yawn*. Huge levels of caffeine required to survive his 9am lectures.
    You'll probably have Lewis too. He's the coordinator for math science, and tbh a bit of an arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

Im doing engineering in UCD too.

Whats so special about Rob Gow, Mutant fruit?

And Rainbow Kirby, are there any sound lecturers in Enginering(Thats 1st year)?

Also could you give me a run down on the Department in general. What do you think about it, what should i expect etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

I'm so happy, got my first choice, primary teaching!!!!!!!! :D k go on then i know ur all thinking it, i'll just say it NERD :eek: only out of school 2mins and look at me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

nerd

Intel wrote:
    And Rainbow Kirby, are there any sound lecturers in Enginering(Thats 1st year)?

Also could you give me a run down on the Department in general. What do you think about it, what should i expect etc..
    I'm not actually doing engineering. (Hopefully, repeat results going my way...) going into 3rd year maths physics.
    I don't know exactly who you guys have in 1st year, but if you name names I might be able to tell you about them (for maths, math physics and experimental physics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

I don't know exactly who you guys have in 1st year, but if you name names I might be able to tell you about them (for maths, math physics and experimental physics).

Thanks, but i think i'll see when i get there...

Could you tell us about maths physics, maths and physics. Are they much harder than in the LC?. Specifically MathsPhysics(Applied MAths) because i completely loathe that subject :o Grrrr

The first science maths physics courses are an awful lot like Applied Maths in the LC. Not sure if you engineers have to do differential equations and numerical methods, but 1st science do, and it's not too bad and the lecturer (Ted Cox) is a bit of a legend!
    Mechanics is basically LC Applied Maths plus orbital motion. Every exam question is a derivation and then pretty much an LC-standard problem.
    First year maths isn't hard (though I got an A1 in HL maths in the LC, so maybe I'm biased...). You'll have half calculus and half algebra. For the algebra you'll have stuff like solving systems of linear equations using matrices, determinants, eigenvector-eigenvalue problems, proof by induction and there might be a few engineering-specific things. Calculus? If you can do every LC part C you're grand. Doesn't go that much beyond LC in terms of the problems, just a bit more formal in the definitions. 2nd year is where the fun starts.
    Physics goes a bit beyond the LC, in terms of there being more applied maths-type stuff. There's a lot more on for the electromagnetism section, but if you keep up with the work, go to your tutorials and do the damn problem sheets you'll be grand. Labs are a pain in the arse and I was glad to say goodbye to them at the end of first year. It's more the lab reports that are annoying though.

Advertisement