Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Request:How to verify mileage

Options
  • 23-08-2004 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of buying a newish car(00+) privately and since most have the electronic speedo's and with different companies in the B&S offering to calibrate it(what the F$uk) is there anyway of verifying the mileage is correct?. From what I have been told it is just a matter of plugging in a laptop with the correct software and bob's your uncle. By doing this does it leave a record in the onboard computer or is it down to luck getting a good car.

Thks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

A very worn steering wheel and driver's seat can be good indications that the car may have had a haircut. :)
    Pedals too. Pay attention to the general condition of the car and go with your gut instinct on what kind of person you think the seller is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I know what your saying IrishRover but I was hoping someone out there had a sure fire way. As you say I have looked out for those things in the past(worn seatbelt/ drivers seat) but in saying that the wifes 98 corsa 55K the seat belt is very lazy. I wonder how the main dealers do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ask for servicing reciepts, NCT certs etc, anything that will have the mileage and date recorded on the same document. Check the usual suspects: steering wheel, pedal rubbers, carpet in drivers footwell, sagging seats. Look around the engine bay for servicing stickers that may have mileage and dates recorded on them. Check the front of the car for excessive stone chipping and most importantly a well maintained high miler is usually better than an uncertain low miler any you'll probably be able to bargain more.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cubix wrote:
    it is just a matter of plugging in a laptop with the correct software and bob's your uncle.

That should do the job, but as a backup I would also compare all documents that registered the mileage, i.e. service invoices, NCT tests results, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

It's appears to be easier to 'clock' a digital speedometer than the old mechanical types - which is very worrying.... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement