Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sturrock gone!

• 23-08-2004 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

He only had 2 games bloody hell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

BBC Sport Football

Are they lining up a return for Glen Hoddle??

Seems a bit harsh on Sturrock booting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Beattie getting his way!! anyone have his record at Southampton? dont tink it was 2 bad.....beat Liverpool in first game but that wasnt too hard last season!! didnt Strachan say he mite go back to management!! maybe a return for him!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think it could be gerard houllier

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

That seems very harsh... What did he do wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He's been manager since March - he had some games at the end of last season, in which they were pretty unimpressive. Lowe seems to be a bit of a prat really.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bets on Hoddle returning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kaids wrote:

Somehow I cant see this happening with the way he left and the fans hating the site of him!! where rumours of him applying for the job when wee Gordon left and fans wen mad at Lowe......

Lowe is a bit of a spanner alright but seemily most of the players are pissed off wit Sturrock! thats where all da rumours have come from!! Beattie hates him and that why every1 says he wanted to leave.....Lowe would rather sack manager than left fans favorite Beattie go

Only prob I see if why wait to sack him now when all da money is spent and the transfer window is closed??? surely any new manager would rather join in the summer and make there own buys and sell they players they dont need :rolleyes:

Another Sunderland.....done the same with Reid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Hoddle will not be considered for a return because of fans' opposition. Mention of Houllier doesn't surprise me. He's bound to be linked with jobs that arise.

Damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kaids wrote:

Place your bets now because I can definitely see it happening! Southampton fans like myself get f***ed around week after week after week by that ignorant prick Rupert Lowe and to be honest, I hope they vote with their feet now. The press release they issued today (in truly bizarre Southampton fashion) said that Sturrock quit because of the media pressure. I simply cannot understand that, because all the media had been saying was that Lowe was lining up Hoddle as a replacement and Sturrocks days were numbered! Surely if that was the case then the reason for his leaving were actually from within the club and not from the media.

Lowe is the master of making dodgy press statements that instead of clearing up the situation, actually make it worse. So far this season we have been guaranteed Beattie is staying, only to be told he would be sold if the right offer came in.

If Hoddle returns Rupert Lowe better get moving house because the lynch mobs will be out in force, with me at the helm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

thats stupid, they must have had their minds made up end of last season, so why wait to now when it'll be harder to find a replacement and start rebuilding
    and when i heard the rumours i thought they were stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Whats the bets Scotland sack Vogts in the next few days so they can appoint Strachan before Soton get him back?

I'm not happy to hear this BTW. There's a 6"1' 17 year old Irish lad playing for Soton, he scored 7 goals in his last 2 and a half reserve games. He made the bench on Saturday and it was only a matter of time before he broke into the first team. He'll now have to impress a new manager all over again before even making the bench. I nearly forgot to mention his name, Leon Best. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As has already been said, there must have been a decision taken on this long before today, Nice pay out for him though. I thouhght that the result at the weekend would save him for a few weeks more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Well with Lowe's habit of ridiculous explanations and Houllier's love of after match excuses, I can see a natural bond here. Both have blamed media pressure for things that were in their control. Last year Houllier blamed the phone-in shows for affecting the confidence of his nice boy Heskey. Another lame 'It's not my fault' excuse They're well suited, lol. Or are they too alike?

I reckon if Strachan is approached, he'll be less inclined to go back after being away from it for a little while. Especially as the chance to be the Scotland manager is very much on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sorry to see him go so quickly, but I had €4 on him to go at 8-1, so every cloud has a silver lining...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He was sacked because his man management skills are about as good as Hector Cuper.
    A lot of players dislike him, and If the players hate thier manager, don't respect his tatical decisions and refuse to listen to him, it's time for him to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some bloke called Steve Wigley is the new permenant boss.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/3591744.stm

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mike65 wrote:
    Some bloke called Steve Wigley is the new permenant boss.
    He used to coach the youth's so that can only be a good thing for Leon Best. Seriously watch out for this lad, he'll get his chance soon and I'm sure he'll take it.

Advertisement