Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major reputation issue.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

And as for "What's the point", the person who leaves a grey dot often doesn't realise that they don't have the power to influence your reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ecksor wrote:
    And as for "What's the point", the person who leaves a grey dot often doesn't realise that they don't have the power to influence your reputation.

It also makes it easier to narrow down the possible culprits for attempted bad rep, so you can get your own back...

not that I'd recommend that at all at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Im confused
    What is the story with the rep points whatg do we need them for

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That all makes sense, a pity they didn't leave a comment, thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Im confused
    Apprently they're very usefull in the afterlife :)

Other than that I've no idea. I think the original idea was that if someone makes a good post, maybe it's interesting, funny, helpful, informative or whatever you give them good feedback (by clicking on the scales to the left of the post). If somebody makes bad posts (pointlessly offensive, spam etc) you give them negative feedback. This way you know who's posts are going to worth reading. It doesn't seem to have worked out like that though and people seem to throw negative rep around just for the fun of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

stevenmu wrote:
    It doesn't seem to have worked out like that though and people seem to throw negative rep around just for the fun of it.
    At least noone is abusing the positive rep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Im confused
    the more you have the better the sexual favours you get at the next boards beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Imposter wrote:
    At least noone is abusing the positive rep :rolleyes:

Well thats not really true. I gave Jesus Thats Great Positive Kharma today and theres no way he deserved it but hey that the type of guy I am. Its all Give Give Give.

Mind you I'll think twice before he gets anything positive from me again because he gave me negative rep in return so its a black evening for me, I know it was JTG because he signed it Guess who? and I guessed him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the more you have the better the sexual favours you get at the next boards beer.

reeeeally?! :eek:
    I'm in for a right treat at the next pissup then.... :D

reputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_highpos.gif << omg!! you've turned SUPERGREEN!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

W00t! It's back. I have the power. I have not used it yet though. I will not be doing it willy nilly. I will wait until the right comment comes along. I can’t be bothered trolling through the threads again for the posts that really annoyed me. I will wait for new ones, shouldn’t have too long to wait.

And by the way, I will sign any –ve rep I give. Further, if I decide to leave any insulting comments I will try to ensure I spell them correctly.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Beruthiel wrote:
    reeeeally?! :eek:
    I'm in for a right treat at the next pissup then.... :D

:eek:

They'll be queing 'round the block, better choose a decent-sized boozer... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Muppet wrote:
    I know it was JTG because he signed it Guess who? and I guessed him.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I guess 5 dots and one light green dot is the limit?

3 red dots appears to lower limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The people who are giving me positive rep for rep back can you..

a) Sign your name.

b) Actually sign your correct name so I can find you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

MrPudding wrote:
    W00t! It's back. I have the power. I have not used it yet though. I will not be doing it willy nilly. I will wait until the right comment comes along. I can’t be bothered trolling through the threads again for the posts that really annoyed me. I will wait for new ones, shouldn’t have too long to wait.

And by the way, I will sign any –ve rep I give. Further, if I decide to leave any insulting comments I will try to ensure I spell them correctly.

MrP

Mr P it's not like you'll have long to wait, the moment I see the person who want to give neg rep too it's only a matter of time till he offends me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Something weird is going on. How could all the mods get so many greens?
    Some mods would be well liked but some are more suited to a Stalag 17 environment.
    Bearing in mind not everybody likes every mod there must be some serious arse licking going on. (No offence to our LGB members :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah Hagar, it's a moderator conspiracy. Nothing at all to do with the fact that most moderators have been on boards a while. Personally I think Oliver Stone should direct the film as I loved JFK.

:eek:

Aha, I knew it !!!!

Seriously though, I am not trying to detract from the long service given to the boards by the mods. I thought the points only started to accumulate since the system was put in, so I would have thought everyone had the same start date as far as rep goes.

Hagar wrote:
    I thought the points only started to accumulate since the system was put in, so I would have thought everyone had the same start date as far as rep goes.
    you thought right re the start date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Hagar wrote:
    Aha, I knew it !!!!

Seriously though, I am not trying to detract from the long service given to the boards by the mods. I thought the points only started to accumulate since the system was put in, so I would have thought everyone had the same start date as far as rep goes.

since they are in the 'lime-light' more than you, they may find themselves more 'popular' than you, hence recieving more 'karma points' than you.

after all, there are over '10,000' users on boards. perhaps they 'like' some mods more than 'you'.

why would you have a 'problem' with mods having many 'karma' points?

what exactly is your 'point'?

as for your 'stalag 17' remark, could you please 'qualify' it? i would be 'greatful', and then i could 'understand' what you are talking about.

can you help a 'brother' out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. mind.. dribbling.... out...... ........ ear..........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hagar wrote:
    Some mods would be well liked but some are more suited to a Stalag 17 environment.
    In fairness, some boards appear to require a Stalag 17 (or at least a Chicken Run) environment.

Except William Holden's character. On boards, everyone's a potential snitch. Oh and there's the thing that the door out is in fact open;) And unlike Stalag 17 we don't have David Seville/Ross Bagdasarian from Alvin and the Chipmunks singing in the opening scene

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Will there one day be a great schism from whence will emanate two new boardsies - boardsie red and boardsie green - who will engage in a great battle for the unternet?

since they are in the 'lime-light' more than you, they may find themselves more 'popular' than you, hence recieving more 'karma points' than you.

after all, there are over '10,000' users on boards. perhaps they 'like' some mods more than 'you'.

why would you have a 'problem' with mods having many 'karma' points?

what exactly is your 'point'?

as for your 'stalag 17' remark, could you please 'qualify' it? i would be 'greatful', and then i could 'understand' what you are talking about.

can you help a 'brother' out?

If that's your idea of a reasonable answer to a reasonable question......

I'm not your friend or your brother nor would I want to be.
    Your over use of quotation marks is bordering on childish.
    Boards users have come to expect better than that from a mod.
    Don't give up you day job.
    I wouldn't worry about having too many karma points if I were you, its not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

For the love of god would you give it a rest!

So some mods have more rep than others. Three questions.

Yeah?

So?

What?

First you imply that it's suspicious that the people who post here more than most, habitual post to certain boards, where their opinion is highly regarded enough by that community (enough to make them a mod) have a good rep. Yeah what are the freaking odds of that happening!

If the mods are so pathetical insecure that they created a reputation system in order to give themselves a sense of self importance and popularity, and then cheat on it, then they're very sad. And I doubt thats the case among (most) of them :D

They're green dots. It doesn't mean squat. Give. It. A. Rest.
    I'm in for a right treat at the next pissup then....

Beruthiel....Mmmm overweight AOL tech support monkey love.

I'd leave the baby oil at home.......

Oh and the person who gave me minus points for this.....oh grow up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

How many points do you need to get to the elusive 2 green stars?

I currently have 19 (i had 20 yesterday but someone gave me negative karma 'cause i bought a playstation 2 over an xbox).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

delly wrote:
    How many points do you need to get to the elusive 2 green stars?

I currently have 19 (i had 20 yesterday but someone gave me negative karma 'cause i bought a playstation 2 over an xbox).
    Damn straight!

Think its one green box when you break a hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

what are those green dots for anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

i loose 3 reputation points because i ask the above question

aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Advertisement