Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will they think of next?

• 23-08-2004 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭

Priest sex abuse an 'industrial accident', says bishop

20 August 2004

AMSTERDAM — The Dutch Catholic Church has gone to court to force
    insurer Aegon to reimburse a damages pay-out to a girl who was
    sexually abused by a priest. The Bishop of Rotterdam claims the
    abuse was an industrial accident and was covered by the Church's
    liability insurance, it was reported Friday.

The Church's legal action against the insurance company began with a
    preliminary hearing behind closed doors in a court in The Hague on
    Wednesday, newspaper De Telegraaf reported. Is it expected the court
    will hear the case in full within the next six weeks.

The girl was six when she was abused by the priest in Rotterdam. She
    took a claim against the diocese and in February 2000 she was
    awarded NLG 100,000 (EUR 45,000) compensation. The priest was
    prosecuted for the sexual abuse.

Rotterdam diocese wants Aegon to reimburse it with EUR 58,000 to
    cover the full cost of dealing with the case because it claims the
    abuse should formally be seen as an industrial accident.

To support its claim, it argues the abuse was committed by a
    clergyman during work hours and in his work place, his local parish.
    It further argues that there is a risk that a priest performing his
    pastoral work may carry out such an attack.

The last line is a gem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Insanity but it doesn't surprise me. I don't trust either institution any more than I would a Mafia don.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the church must be taking the piss with **** like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

thats pretty feckin sleazy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

By the beard of someone unusually well-bearded, that's just a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

they do have a point though no matter how sick and sleezy it may be!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

If he had done that to a child of mine (btw I don't have kids but if I did) that priest would be having a bit of an "industrial accident" of his own when he'd meet a couple of guys armed with baseball bats & pickaxe handles some dark night :D

If he was lucky he'd wake up in intensive care. The fact that he's a priest would just add an extra level of enjoyment to it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

How unbelievable! To describe such a sick willful act as "an accident" of any kind! How incredibly callous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

its ok cos instead of the insurance comapny paying out in this country the public is paying the compo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I can just see the claim form now.
    "I was at work in my local parish, when i was traversing a particularly dangerous section of the work area, i tripped over a brick on the floor, fell head first, and accidentally sexually molested a six year old girl"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah gotta love the church - always knowing the best way to handle an affair. Better hope that it doesn't given them any ideas here given so much abuse happened at actual industrial schools...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I can just see the claim form now.

Actually I can just see the dodgy ad on telly for the ambulance chasers.

dodgy actor from the 70s

"Are you a priest?", "Have you been found guilty of sexual molesting a child?" "Well you could be entitled to compensation"

Dodgy looking priest, with that glazed look to his eye and monotone voice that all the gits in those ads always have;

"I was a parish priest" "I, through no fault of my own, sexually abused 18 kids, resulting me losing my job" (cue dodgy reinactment) "I contacted one direct, who got me a larger settlement, allowing me to purchase several thai children over the internet" "Thank you one direct for helping me resume my life"

I think about odd things alot.

What religeous freak gave me negative karma for my post on this thread?

Unless it was a made man who didn't like my mistrust, you've got issues kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

What is it that they always say ? That only God has the right to judge a persons actions ? I think the priest should be sent straight to God to see what the big guy thinks his little "industrial accident" .

So you'd advocate killing priests in the hope that there's a god to judge 'em?

Flippin christians, when will ye learn!?

It's called the Maternal Instinct ....ANYONE that molest children should be sent to God for his opinion on the matter ......makes not difference to me if he's ( or she if the case may warrant ) is a priest or religous figure of any sort. No one has the right to molest a child . Being a priest doesn't give him a free out . Just my honest opinion, ya' understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ANYONE that molest children should be sent to God for his opinion on the matter
    How about we just send one representative to get God's opinion on the matter, and then he can come back and tell us what we should do with the paedophiles. That means we don't have to overburden God with legions of guys wondering what the answer is, and God having to repeat himself over and over. But oh wait, you can't come back....

Execution is not the answer. Paedophilia is a sexual preference, but one that conflicts with existing morals of defending and protecting those who require it. As such paedophiles are mentally ill/confused. And you wouldn't condone executing those who are mentally unstable would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

seamus wrote:
    How about we just send one representative to get God's opinion on the matter, and then he can come back and tell us what we should do with the paedophiles. That means we don't have to overburden God with legions of guys wondering what the answer is, and God having to repeat himself over and over. But oh wait, you can't come back....

Execution is not the answer. Paedophilia is a sexual preference, but one that conflicts with existing morals of defending and protecting those who require it. As such paedophiles are mentally ill/confused. And you wouldn't condone executing those who are mentally unstable would you?

Every rule has an exception.

John R wrote:
    Every rule has an exception.

And are you going to give an example of the exception or are you going to leave that sentiment hanging in the air?

You missed my point SkittishKitten. That entire hypothesis is based upon a completely unfounded belief in God. We can't base our laws on religeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tbh I don't think those preists would get quite as far as God. The bouncers would beat the shit out of them.

• Advertisement

Actually No Sleepy , I understood you well enough. But perhaps you miss the sentiment behind my remark. Simply put - I have no tolerance for child molesters . God or no , it makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

the dirty basta.rds.. i mean which is the bigger insult??-offering her a pathetic 45,000 to compensate her for her future life of suffering, or trying to take it back.

the fvcking church should be ashamed of there behaviour.
    every god damm sunday they give there sermans and preach about all the good we should do and how grateful we should be to god for waht he has given to us. and then they pass there baskets around so people can donate funds to them. when all this time they have been abusing our kids and trying to convince us that it was an accident....come on!!

i tell you something my kids wont be going to confession to sit alone in the company of a priest.

Just wait, we may actually see something like this. How often do we see the guilty transform themselves into a victim? If they are a victim, then they aren't really to blame, are they? See they would never have done such a thing if... maybe its due to job stress?( Another industrial hazard?) The entire situation sickens me.

and if you look back, I wrote;
    dodgy actor from the 70s

"Are you a priest?", "Have you been found guilty of sexual molesting a child?" "Well you could be entitled to compensation"

Dodgy looking priest, with that glazed look to his eye and monotone voice that all the gits in those ads always have;

"I was a parish priest" "I, through no fault of my own, sexually abused 18 kids, resulting me losing my job" (cue dodgy reinactment) "I contacted one direct, who got me a larger settlement, allowing me to purchase several thai children over the internet" "Thank you one direct for helping me resume my life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭CareBear

How the hell is sexual assault an accident. Oops ye didnt mean to do it I slipped!!! For god sake! :(

In a huff now....

I'm in agreement with you. Sorry that I didn't quote your entire post. My point was, although you took the scenario to an outrageous extreme, it's really not all that far-fetched these days. Sadly.

Advertisement