Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

a loose fan belt

Options
  • 23-08-2004 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,

ive a peugeot 206 and ive a loose fan belt (has happened before and they fixed it during a service) and it makes a hell of a noise.

Does anyone know is it an easy job to tighten it and could i do it myself cause i aint got money to be giving peugeot the robbing ba$tards.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it is usually a case reducing the tightness of the belt by adjusting a bracket supporting the alternator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Get your friendly local mechanic to confirm the diagnosis - it might need a new belt, pulley, bracket or mounting bolts and just tightening it will remove the symptom but not the cause. It is an easy job to tighten the belt if you have a set of spanners and sockets - once tightened, the belt should have 10mm 'play', I usually jam a big screwdriver between the alternator and the engine to hold it while I tighten the bolts back up again.

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Thanks for the replys I called out the AA and the guy showed me what to do, he said it had not been tightened properly last time (looked like it had been done with a vice grips) and it just came loose again he was realy sound about it had me working again within a half hour :-) Best part is he showed me everythiong he was doing so id have no prob doing it if it does come loose again. Oh got it done in advance pitstop last time serves me right for going the cheap route I suppose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you pay peanuts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kristok wrote:
    he said it had not been tightened properly last time (looked like it had been done with a vice grips)...Oh got it done in advance pitstop last time serves me right for going the cheap route I suppose.

Christ what would they do without a pair of Grips?

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement